PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Mini lathes

Jim Paulson
12-15-2011, 7:57 AM
A family member is interested in getting a mini lathe to turn pens. They have no experience with turning. The Jet 1014 VS seems a good choice, hopefully some of our turners will offer some thoughts on this and other models of similar or less price. Rikon and Shop Fox are among ones that might be considered as alternates. A contact at Woodcraft indicated that the Jet and Rikon mini lathe models are fine with preference given to the Jet.

Thanks,
Jim

Dennis Ford
12-15-2011, 9:53 AM
The Jet 1014 is a great lathe for pens and other small objects. Personally, I am not a fan of the VS version but that is mostly because I like to turn larger items and feel that the VS version does not have as much torque. I do love VS on larger lathes (with larger motors). The Rikon is a good lathe also. I have not turned on a Shop Fox.

Michael Menzli
12-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Perhaps this..http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html .. Variable speed and nice size...after 20% off your looking at a $100 investment... this would be adequate enough to see if the hobby is worth it and time to save for a better machine..Ive got the next size up and have been overly pleased thus far.

James Combs
12-15-2011, 10:26 AM
You might also want to check out the Grizzly G0657vs (http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-16-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/G0657), currently on sale. I have its slightly larger brother, the G0658vs (http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-20-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/G0658) and am very pleased with it. The main differences between the two are the 657 is 1/2hp and 10" swing and the 658 is 3/4hp with 12" swing and includes an outboard turning feature for larger than 12" turnings.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-15-2011, 11:03 AM
You didn't mention budget. A 12" lathe is generally considered a midi, and 10" a mini. Not that it makes a real difference in names, or categories. I've turned on the Rikon midi, Delta midi and I own the Jet mini. Turned on the Jet midi also. The Rikon would be my best value, it's on sale from time to time and a great deal. The Delta new midi is an awesome lathe. But expensive. The Jet mini is a solid lathe. That will last a long long time. I've had mine for a while. I've turned 9" bowls on it. I've not turned on the Grizzlys, Shop Fox or the PSI lathes.

Oh, I have the non-vs mini, and also turned on the vs mini. I have to agree that the vs mini does seem to have even less power than the non-vs model. Perhaps because the non-vs motor is always running at full speed and therefore full power. The major weakness of the Jet mini is the 1/2 hp motor. It is a little weak.

Good luck in whatever you buy. The 2 Jets, the Rikon and new Delta will all serve you well.

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I have to agree that I think the Rikon is the best value. I turned on one for several years then sold it for a Jet 1220 VS. I have turned on the Delta 46-460. These would be the three I would recommend.

Peter Lamb
12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I would recommend the Delta 46-460. Had one for three years and love it.
Peter

Ken Hill
12-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I have a delta 46-460 and a jet 1014....both nice but if you can swing it, get the delta.

Michelle Rich
12-15-2011, 12:41 PM
you cannot go wrong with a delta, Jet or a rikon. Take your pick & have fun

Donny Lawson
12-15-2011, 4:46 PM
If you can swing it and want a great midi lathe I would jump on the Delta 46-460. Plenty of power(1hp) and it has reverse,and VS which is nice to have. Once you start pens you will want to try other items later and the Delta will be ready.

Richard Hutchings
12-15-2011, 4:51 PM
I love my Rikon but I'm just a beginner. I've mostly turned inside out ornaments, yo-yos and some 6" diameter oil lamps.

Brian Libby
12-15-2011, 5:36 PM
+1 to what Michelle said !!!

Jim Paulson
12-15-2011, 8:30 PM
I'll certainly pass this information on and please know that your comments were appreciated. I am just happy that other family members are interested in woodworking besides me.Have a blessed Christmas.Jim

Ken Hill
12-15-2011, 9:16 PM
Jim, not sure where in Ohio you are, but I will let my Jet go if they are looking for a budget item

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-15-2011, 9:33 PM
I also have & like the Rikon and feel it's the best value in a mini lathe. The Rikon has a lower speed than the Jet has that I like having. I have also turned on the Jet mini's both the VS and the regular belt drives. I like the belt drive models but I would not purchase a VS model. The Jets do seem to hold there resale value better than the Rikons do.

Lee Koepke
12-15-2011, 9:45 PM
another Rikon owner. I turn pens and bowls and anything else that I feel that would look better round.

Its easy enough to change the belt speeds, and still workable for 10-11" bowls.....not as 'comfortable' with that heavy of a slab, but it does work. I got mine from a local turner that upgraded his lathe ... musta had an evil streak in him to get me hooked into the spinny side of things !!!!

Dave Lehnert
12-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I see some rate the Rikon as "Best Value" To me that means you are giving up something at a price point. True? If so, What?

Steve Mellott
12-16-2011, 6:20 PM
Our local Woodcraft store just replaced all the Jet mini-lathes in their classroom with the Delta midi lathe. In my opinion, the Delta midi lathe has replaced the Jet as the mini/midi lathe of choice.

Steve

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-16-2011, 6:38 PM
I see some rate the Rikon as "Best Value" To me that means you are giving up something at a price point. True? If so, What?

Dave my idea of the best value is that the Rikon offers you a larger swing & longer bed length & a better speed range than the Jet at a lower price than the Jet. Like I said in my earlier post I own the Rikon & our turning culb has several Jets that I have used. Both do the job there designed to do.The Jet may have a a little nicer finished look to it & offer a better resale. That's about it.

Kevin W Johnson
12-16-2011, 11:58 PM
I would recommend going with a midi lath. They may start with pens, but the turning fever leads to other things. The extra couple inch swing over the bed can make a big difference. So can the longer bed length if/when drilling on the lathe. By the time you mount a chuck and drill bit in the tail stock, theres not much room left on a 10x14" lathe.

Jim Paulson
12-17-2011, 1:28 PM
You folks are great!

Ken,
Regarding your suggestion. Family got some good info here and they live out of State.
They have a plan. Thanks.

Best wishes on all your projects.
Jim

Craig Matheny
12-17-2011, 6:13 PM
I just bought a Rikon 70-100 at a great price turned 2 pens on it and day and night to the shopsmith I will have to share time between restoring my truck and turning pens