PDA

View Full Version : unusual project..

Russell Eaton
12-15-2011, 7:02 AM
My dad has a small business cracking pecans. This year he is swamped with all the trees having pecans on them. I made a similar piece to this about 2 weeks ago and it was stolen yesterday.I know who got it and that will be another story for another day. I made a larger handle for this one out of cocobolo and it has a better feel to it. It is used to sweep pecans down a trough to the elevator that dumps them into a separator. The handle is made of purple heart, and has "Doc's Nuthouse" etched into both sides as well as his name. That didn't stop the last one from walking out the door. This has no finish on it and will get a natural pecan oil coating later today. Comments are welcome. Thanks for looking Russell

Steve Vaughan
12-15-2011, 7:31 AM
That is a very cool idea! I like that. Sorry about the stolen one, hope that works out alright.

John Keeton
12-15-2011, 7:35 AM
"Natural pecan oil coating" sure sounds appropriate! Nice gift, and I hope the situation with the stolen one resolves favorably.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2011, 7:37 AM
Well we sure don't see one of those everyday! Nice work Russell! Your Dad is going to love it!!

Michelle Rich
12-15-2011, 9:25 AM
I like seeing homemade tools..this one is jazzy & colorful..maybe it's good the last one walked away..this one will stand out & not get lost under a pile of pecans!

David Reed
12-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Never having seen a 'pecan sweeper', I can't comment on it's versatility, but the form and finish are very nice. I find it tough to get a straight cut like the long handle you have here.
Hoping it does not also sprout legs.

Jon McElwain
12-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I have made a few tools with purpleheart (mallets, tool handles, etc.) . It has a good feel to it and it wears really well. Good looking pecan sweep!

Russell Eaton
12-15-2011, 11:42 AM
JK I may need you lawyer services when the fellow come back to get more pecans cracked ... It does work good and had some pecan oil rubbed in already.

Steve Busey
12-15-2011, 2:34 PM
Leave it to you to come up with such a nutty idea, Russell!

Baxter Smith
12-15-2011, 3:36 PM
Thats a first for me! How long is it?

Russell Eaton
12-15-2011, 5:44 PM
Baxter it is a little over 2 feet.

Steve Kennedy
12-15-2011, 6:09 PM
I think the guy that took the first one needs the new one up side his head!!

Harry Robinette
12-15-2011, 9:42 PM
I'm with Steve but I have to give it to him up between his ......... and then up side the head. I really really really HATE thieves. Bet you couldn't tell.
Nice you made him another I'm sure he felt bad about the first one.

Dan Forman
12-15-2011, 11:41 PM
So would you call that a nut whacker? :D Really like the cocobolo grip on it.

Dan