PDA

View Full Version : How did I make that?

john lampros
12-15-2011, 6:48 AM
I'm kinda new here on the creek but a thing has come lately that I want to share with you and see if you have experienced this as well. I started woodworking more than 30 yrs ago out of necessity, Baby on the way and no money, the usual story. I recall the kid sleeping in a dresser drawer when she got home from the hospital till I finished the cradle I was making. Anyway, I remember making that cradle like it was yesterday, I had no tools, never made anything outside of woodshop in HS. I had a $20 jigsaw (black and decker I found in the trash) and a equally as cheap circular saw from my fathers basement and that was it. period. maybe a screwdriver. This cradle has made the rounds over the last 30 plus years and I just saw it again recently and was shocked at how nice and well made it was. Graceful curves, no tearout anywhere, beautiful finish (P&L 38) beautifully proportioned and designed, intracate curves. I remember It was made out of solid birch shelving someone pitched at work. Hand painted ivy and flowers on the ends a little tattered but mostly intact. I studied this thing and thought I have all the tools in the world now and i would be hard pressed to make this today this nicely let alone gnawing at it with my teeth for lack of tools. Anyway, there's a moral in here some where, I guess where there's a will, there's a corps and every once in a while there's a way but, you cant make it drink.....

Matt Hankins
12-15-2011, 6:59 AM
Quite simply, John, you were able to accomplish what you were because, at the time, it was for the most important accomplishment of your life, that little girl. Even if you made it with sandpaper as your only tool, it was going to turn out perfect. In this case, tools don't make the project, love and dedication do. Thanks for the story. As we all rush around our shops this season, trying to finish gifts for our loved ones, it's nice to remember why we make them and for whom.

Matt

Jim Belair
12-15-2011, 7:10 AM
Great story and message John. You really were making memories.

All the best to you & yours
Jim B

John Coloccia
12-15-2011, 7:18 AM
It's amazing what you can do when you just do it instead of worrying about doing it. :) Do you have a picture?

Chris Griggs
12-15-2011, 7:31 AM
It's amazing what you can do when you just do it instead of worrying about doing it. :) Do you have a picture?

+1 on that!

Don Dorn
12-15-2011, 7:33 AM
That was a nice story to read - thanks for posting.

Jim Koepke
12-15-2011, 1:52 PM
+2 on the pictures.

It just goes to show that it isn't what tools one has as much as how they use them.

jtk

john lampros
12-15-2011, 8:08 PM
Unfortunately I didnt get pics of that cradle but since I'm trespassing down memory lane I am reminded of just a few years past that cradle when my folk were still alive. My 5 siblings and I (early twenties and just starting families and money was tight) had decided that for Christmas that year we would all make our gifts. Now this wasnt my idea as I had a leg up on everyone by now as I was quite an accomplished butcher of wood and the last thing I wanted for Christmas was some pot holder or fridge magnet crafted by my totally untalented sibs. My own brothers ( I am embarrassed to say) are so unskilled with their hands that my one brother once returned a screwdriver to the hardware store because it didnt come with instructions. So I'm sure you can see that this choice wasn't in my best interest. Needless to say we all picked names and went our seperate ways to plan and make our gifts. I had picked my brother Steve the outdoorsmen, the hunter. So I made him a gun cabinet for the rifles he had inherited from our uncle. I found some leaded glass doors in my dads attic that came from built in corner cabinets in the old dinning room and took it from there. I must say it came out pretty swell.I put in a morticed lock, dovetailed the case, some felt lined drawers,I lined the back in linnen, I really ho'ed it up. So Christmas eve comes around ( we always opened presents on the eve as we are an impatient lot.) My mom had picked My sister in law, my mom was a raze the kids, cook and clean kinda mom. the old european kind that removed the baseboards once a year to clean behind. Food was her weapon of choice.Food was her medicine no matter what ailed you and if you didnt comply she'd feed you with her slingshot as you were running by. She made my sister in law a tablecloth and placemats with matching napkins all hemmed up with frills and she even made those goofy napkin rings you use to keep you napkin from taking off prematurely. The look on her face was so priceless, she was giddy with excitement while stacy opened her gift dancing in anticipation for the look of approval on stacy's face. My youngest brother had picked me, the one overwhelmed by the screwdriver. I opend up my present and it was a golf club, a driver. and newfangled metal wood. ( now there's a contradiction in terms). His buddy made golf clubs for a living and my brother had tagged along with him and he swore he made it himself, that his friend just showed him what to do. I had never hunted golfs before but I was sure to start as long as he gave me pointers and took me out. Not 2 weeks later he took me out golfing (in january, in Cleveland). to the only golf course that would let us on in the dead of winter. He shot a hole in one on the last hole , a 190 yd par 3. It was so cold he tied his black fuzzy wood covers together to cover his ears and he looked like an escapee from the snake ranch dancing up and down , wood covers flapping up and down with each jump screaming " its in the hole"!! ' Its in the hole!!" I had lost all my balls on the first hole in hopes it would end the outing but fortunately for him we stayed. I digress, Everyone loved their gifts. there were all kinds from all mater of hidden tallents, fancy cloths and aged rum cakes, framed pictures many more. but I guess the important thing here is and I apologize for the long circuitice route I dragged you through but those gifts are so remembered and cherished, some 30 years later we all remember it as if it were yesterday and that year in my family is still everyone's favorite Christmas. I bring this up while you are all busy in your shops and basements cobbling up this years loot. that there is something so special about giving a thing you wrought with your own 2 hands with all the though and sweat and self doubt, even so, your going to make someone very happy. ..holy smokes , where did the time go?

Ryan Baker
12-15-2011, 9:11 PM
Great stories.

Paul Cahill
12-15-2011, 9:57 PM
I recall the kid sleeping in a dresser drawer when she got home from the hospital till I finished the cradle I was making. Anyway, I remember making that cradle like it was yesterday.

...been there, done that (1986)

Paul

Michael Peet
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
...been there, done that (1986)

Paul

What a great picture!

Bill Houghton
12-15-2011, 11:05 PM
That's a nice story to hear. I often have the opposite feeling when looking at some of my early work: is there any way I can deny involvement with it? So it's good to hear you were inspired to do good work with limited tools.

Zahid Naqvi
12-15-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm with Houghton on this one. Great story John and Paul, but some of my earlier projects I'd deny having any hand in them if I could.

Matt Hankins
12-16-2011, 7:15 AM
John,

Your second post is my favorite of the year, from all of the forum's I frequent. Thank you,

Matt

Paul Cahill
12-16-2011, 7:47 AM
John,

Your second post is my favorite of the year, from all of the forum's I frequent. Thank you,

Matt

John:

I couldn't resist responding with the photo on the first thread when I read the bit about the drawer, but the second post was a great story too.

Thanks for posting.

Paul