PDA

View Full Version : Finial experiment

Eric Gourieux
12-15-2011, 1:21 AM
I made this Christmas ornament with curly maple hollowed for the central piece and cocobola (cocobolo) as the square-end finials. I plan on dying the maple with my soon-to-arrive transtint dyes. I've read several approaches and techniques for finishing the coco. Since they are now off of the lathe, and they have square ends, I won't be able to buff them on the lathe. I'm considering lacquer thinner or naptha or acetone to remove the surface oils then apply Deft spray laquer. Any other suggestions on finishing the coco? I suppose that I could glue a dowel onto the square ends and rechuck then for buffing, if necessary.

David Reed
12-15-2011, 1:25 AM
Not sure how delicate the square ends are but I have chucked square pieces in the four jaw chuck quite nicely. A little tape to minimize scratching is a good thing.
I like the square base on the finial by the way. Different and appealing. Want to see the dyed look.

Eric Gourieux
12-15-2011, 2:00 AM
David, thanks. If I need to rechuck, i think I'll glue a 3/8's dowel in the center of the square end and chuck that. The dowel can remain in place when I assemble the pieces..there's an 3/8' hole in each end of the hollow form

John Keeton
12-15-2011, 6:11 AM
Eric, I really, really like the squared end! Did you do that after turning, or just turn to a square shoulder? In any event - very well done. I do think the squared ends might work better on a more "squat" form vs. elongated as you have done. The curly maple is sweet, and will dye very well.

For what it is worth, I buff all my finials off the lathe with the Beal wheels. One must be very careful, but it is quite easy. I have used lacquer on Cocobolo with good success. I sprayed it immediately after sanding without using Acetone. I suspect if one waited any length of time, wiping it down would be advisable.

Eric Gourieux
12-15-2011, 8:16 AM
John,
I turned the finials out of square stock, just like I'd turn a square bowl. Thanks for the lacquer info. I'll try that today. Hopefully, the dyes will arrive today or tomorrow.

David E Keller
12-15-2011, 8:16 AM
I think the square ends are great! I don't recall seeing that before, but it's got possibilities with HFs and other finial forms... Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Rich
12-15-2011, 9:17 AM
the square ends set this apart..since these won't get much handling, one could just use an oil, or just wax..or a combo of that. Coco is used in knife handles WITHOUT a finish, as coco has it's own oils. One could just gently buff also

Scott Hackler
12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
LOVE the square ends. What a nice addition to an ornament. Those ornaments are going to be very nice when you et them done. I am with John, you can still buff those off the lathe. Slow speed on the wheels and a very firm but gentle touch.