PDA

View Full Version : I'm back to engraving...just wondering what the latest Corel X5 has to offer.

donald bugansky
12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi folks,

Just getting back to my laser after 18 months away from everything. I did the firmware upgrade and control software updates to the system and was wondering about the move to Corel X5.

Can you offer any advice relative to moving past the existing x4 version I have today.

Thanks, Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 75W
Corel X4

Mike Null
12-15-2011, 8:58 AM
Bugs

Welcome back. I believe the Corel site has a comparison of the two. Also a search here should turn up some old threads espousing the virtues of X5. I like it but I upgraded from X3 and my primary reason was the ability to open more files (PDF, AI, EPS, PLT)

Michael Hunter
12-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Like Mike Null, I have X5 simply in order to be able to accept files from customers in recent formats of other design packages.
Although it has more bells and whistles, the only real improvement over X3 is the bitmap tracing, though this still seems inferior to version 6!

For my own design and for running the laser I am sticking to X3 : no worries about colour management spoiling things!

Martin Boekers
12-15-2011, 11:37 AM
I would get on their mailing list for when they have deals. Awhile back I got the upgrade to X5, a Walcom tablet, Painter, winzip and a few extras (in a Package) for under $250.
I think the upgrade may be around $150 right now. I also picked up Fusion ($30), and PaintShop Pro ($30) as it had some things PhotoShop didn't, many NIK filters
and HDR.

John Noell
12-15-2011, 7:24 PM
I tried it for a while. The main difference for me between X4 and X5 was the b-splines instead of Bezier curves. Not enough to make it worthwhile for me. I also discovered some "undocumented features" (as in software bugs) that caused me to give up on it and stick with X4.

Mike Null
12-16-2011, 7:13 AM
I have installed all the updates and mine has been working very well for quite a long time. I'm using XP on a 3 year old pc.

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-16-2011, 1:18 PM
No advice on Corel but wecome back Bugs!