PDA

View Full Version : Need Gift Ideas for an 11 month old

Steve Mellott
12-14-2011, 9:04 PM
I'd like to make a wooden gift for my 11 month old granddaughter. Any ideas as to what might be appropriate for this age group? It can be flat boards, scrolled or turned. Thanks.

Steve

Duane Bledsoe
12-14-2011, 9:18 PM
Start working on a set of wooden blocks with the letters on them?? Maybe??

Jerry Bruette
12-14-2011, 9:49 PM
Blocks are good and so are stools and pull toys. That's how I got my start when the LOML said I should make a stool for new grandson. Stool turned out pretty good for a grandpa who didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Jerry

Dan Hahr
12-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Maple blocks. All shapes and sizes, but make them 1/2 the width, length, etc. of the next size up so they can stack em level.

Fun for 5-6 years at least, and they can be handed down for generations.

Dan

john lampros
12-15-2011, 5:36 AM
Boy, the sky is the limit here. for an 11 mo. old, turn a rattle, colorful mobile, When my kids were little I made most of there toys and furniture (being poor can be good I guess). to my surprise they treat them like heirlooms now. Frames, step stools, toy chests, the list goes on. Now that the grandkids have arrived I'm shocked at how much stuff my daughter has pulled out that I made 30 yrs ago. Just have at it!

Cary Falk
12-15-2011, 7:16 AM
I turned some old fashioned pull cord tops for my nephew and friends kids. They were mostly for boys but I heard their sisters enjoyed them also. I got the idea from a old thread on this forum.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/top.jpg

Mark Patoka
12-15-2011, 9:18 AM
I made blocks and a wagon for my niece a few years back. This is based on one that Norm built. The blocks are maple with recessed ends and the letters are cherry.

David Weaver
12-15-2011, 9:22 AM
I'll bet your granddaughter would love to have a ported stihl ms660.

Don't you think so?

I mean, if she doesn't like it and never uses it, then you may have to borrow it, but it's worth a shot, eh?

David Weaver
12-15-2011, 9:25 AM
Reality aside, blocks, and little dexterity building toys are good fun for kids that age. Things like a dowel with a donut where you pass the dowel through the donut, or a stand-up version with a set of turned rings like the old play-skool round plastic thing. My daughter used those a lot. She's twice the age you're looking at, but she still plays with the blocks and some of the dexterity toys.

Shape sorters are also fun for kids that age (Varous round, square, star shaped pieces, etc, that get passed through the sides of the box with matching shapes cut into the sides).

Jake Elkins
12-15-2011, 9:25 AM
Cary - That is really neat. Would you mind sharing a few design details?

Thanks

Bill Huber
12-15-2011, 9:26 AM
Pull toys are good, at that age they are just about read to take off. They are small so stools are a great help to get to places they need to get.<br>
<br>
Here are some of the things I have made for my grand kids The best was the dog, I made 2 of them, one for each grand kid and they were a big hit with both and even after 3 years the dog is still one of their favorite toys. The push toy gets used a lot, it stays at my house and every time they come over it gets used. The little chair is also a hit, both of them us it a lot when they are visiting.

Cary Falk
12-15-2011, 9:47 AM
Cary - That is really neat. Would you mind sharing a few design details?

Thanks

Jake,
What would you like to know? It has been several years since I made it but I will try to remember. The tip, post, and handle are made from hickory. The main part of the top was a scrap piece from the walnut/maple laminated guitar neck from a year before. I cut the scrap up into wedges to get the pattern. I believe the diameter of the top is ~4" or slightly larger. The length of the handle is around 9". I am not the greatest turner so the shape rarely turns out how I intially invisioned it. If you have any specific questions let me know.
Cary

Harry Hagan
12-15-2011, 10:06 AM
http://arsatoytalk.blogspot.com/2008/04/toy-safety-choking-hazards.html

Steve Friedman
12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
And make sure the finish is edible.

If I were 11 months old, I would want my grandfather to make me a small rocking chair. Otherwise, you may want to consider something to hang on the walls (growth chart, alphabet, numbers, your granddaughter's name) and hold off on the toys until she's done teething.

Steve

Jim Rimmer
12-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Can't add anything to the list for 11 month old girl but I would advise you to go to the American Girl store with a tape measure and camera and get started on stuff for the American Girl doll she'll want in a couple of years. :D Beds, chests, scooters, etc. Here's one of 3 scooters I made last year. (It's for the doll but I guess you could make one for the kiddo.)