PDA

View Full Version : Dead trees coming down soon.

Chris Studley
12-14-2011, 5:01 PM
I have a few trees that at the end of my driveway that are set to come down soon. They are adjacent to each other so It may be possible they are dying/dead for another reason besides age, I wouldn't know.

The owner of the apts next to me and I have agreed that either one of us would be equally affected if (but really, when) they get brought down by the New England winter. The trees being pretty much on the property line, we are splitting the cost of getting them cut down. Neither tree has sprouted many(if any) leaves for the past few summers and there are some dead branches that have already broken off.

They are both about 24-28" in diameter and 40'(?) or so tall. I believe one to be a sycamore(by the bark) the other I'm not sure. My question is if they are truly "Dead Trees Standing" can I expect to be able to use any of the wood they yield for turning? Common sense and experience, I'm sure, go a long way in making that determination but I have more of one than the other.

If it most likly a lost cause then I won't bother to stay home the day they come down, but if there is more than a slim chance of a decent winter wood supply then I may may feel a sick day in the near future.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Paul Heely
12-14-2011, 5:04 PM
I would get "sick" that day. I had an Elm taken down that had dead branches, and the tree itself was not healthy, that has yielded a lot of good turing stock. You really won't know until the tree is down, but in my mind if the bark is still attached its worth the gamble.

Roger Chandler
12-14-2011, 5:17 PM
unless the tree is hollow almost completely with rot, then you should be able to harvest a good part of it for turning.......well worth the effort I would think! Sycamore is pretty to turn........has some lace figure in the grain at times.

Dan Forman
12-14-2011, 6:23 PM
Green sycamore moves a LOT!! Leave your roughed pieces a little thicker to compensate. On the other hand, if it's dead (or not atall well), it might not still have the moisture content. The wood is pretty bland except when quartersawn, which is quite striking for the lacy figure that Roger mentioned, but turning doesn't really reveal much of that.

Dennis Ford
12-14-2011, 7:24 PM
I agree with Roger, there is likely some good turning wood in trees that big. Dan is right about sycamore moving a lot and it can be very bland but it can also get some beautiful colors as it spalts. Even if bland, sycamore makes great salad bowls.

David E Keller
12-14-2011, 8:27 PM
I'd get sick that day! Get the base and the major crotches if you can as they're the most likely to be figured! Some dead standing trees take on color that's not otherwise seen in healthy specimens... Cottonwood is one that comes to mind. Sharpen you chains, get out your anchorseal, and call in sick!

Chris Studley
12-14-2011, 8:37 PM
I will need to pay off the tree guys to do some extra cutting, acquire some anchor seal, but sick days I have...