PDA

View Full Version : a very merry Turned Xmas

Chris Studley
12-14-2011, 2:29 PM
My Brother is a cigar guy so a cigar ash tray seemed appropriate. It was done all on the lathe but for the pre-drilling for 2 seperate mounting recesses for the expanding collet chuck as well as the cigar resting area. I turned the overall "arch" shape first then the off-center dish portion.
It is about 6" x 4", approx 2" high/thick
Padauk, BLO then Paste wax

For my Mom, a lidded box. It is a funny shape but it is intended to be able to both hold items within as well as on the dish-like lid. She does a lot of sewing/quilting so I intended it to be able to hold often used items without needing to open it. My wife pointed out that it could be used in a similar way for jewelry. It is Purpleheart and Maple and approx 6-7" in diameter.

I am disappointed in the dull color of the purpleheart used. I had good luck using the
Paste wax on another piece using PH but I think this piece was either not too great to begin with or is simply past it's prime. Maybe there is some wisdom regarding PH I'm not aware of. Perhaps it been in the basement shop too long? I also think the finail might be a little clunky.

After viewing many pictures from the rest of you, I realize that I need a better setup for pics and the blue blanket backgroud experiment was a resounding failure...

Dan Forman
12-14-2011, 6:31 PM
Those are nice pieces, hope the ash tray holds up to the abuse. Purple heart, like cocobolo, takes a few days to recover it's color after machining. I've heard bright sunlight helps. I've always liked PH and Maple in combination.

Dan

Chris Studley
12-14-2011, 8:31 PM
Thanks for the complements. I hope the ash tray holds up as well. Cigars aren't really something you snub out like a cigarette so I figured, at worst might get some discoloration where the cigar holding area meets the dish. It's my understanding that they tend to self extinguish if left unattended.As far as the PH, I applied the paste wax right away so if sunlight(UV) the key wax shouldn't hinder that. But if it is oxidation then I think I'm stuck with the color it is now... Turn and learn...

David E Keller
12-14-2011, 8:40 PM
Love the ashtray... Great design and beautiful wood!

I'm not crazy about the second piece visually, but after reading your intended use, it definitely makes sense. It just seems a bit 'busy' for me, but I'm often in the minority on such things. I think I might consider leaving the corners on the square lower bowl intact on a future version. I've read here that heat will help accelerate the color change for the purpleheart, so you could try a hairdryer. I think time will take care of it, but you may be able to hasten the process with heat.

Chris Studley
12-14-2011, 9:05 PM
I more than considered leaving the corners on, I attempted to. I will get there eventually.

Jim Burr
12-14-2011, 10:36 PM
If you feel like another cigar holder...well..uhhh....I'm in!!!
Nice forms, your finish work is great...like 'em both!

Baxter Smith
12-14-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm not a cigar fan but that holder is pretty elegant looking and that lidded box should fit the bill! I'm sure your mom will love it and put it to good use!

Scott Hackler
12-14-2011, 11:04 PM
I also like the cigar holder/ash tray very much. Well done.

Kathy Marshall
12-15-2011, 1:00 AM
Really nice job on the cigar holder! Yes, purple heart will get it's color back if exposed to sunlight. The lidded box looks like it will come in handy and I'm sure your mom will love it!

Chris Studley
12-15-2011, 7:57 AM
Thanks all. My mothers sewing room gets a lot of afternoon sun, certainly more than my basement shop.