PDA

View Full Version : Fun stuff!

Richard Jones
12-14-2011, 1:31 PM
These little guys are really fun to make. This one is for my mom for Christmas, cherry on top of walnut and a bamboo perch (a skewer fits perfect in an 1/8" hole, so I cheated.....) with a few burnt shingles/shakes.

And what a great way to not only practice some cuts but to work on your Fibonacci curves as you go.

Lends itself well to production work, but drilling on the drill press would speed that part of the process up. To paraphrase Mr. Raffan, turn a hundred of something if you want to get the memory and technique down.......

C & C welcome and anticipated............Camera still smudged, repair shop wants a minimum of $165 to fix!! Time for that new camera............... But, been working on the photos, hope they're better.

Rich

Mike Peace
12-14-2011, 2:21 PM
Very nice birdhouse. One suggestion you might try on the next one is to be less precise on the shingles. That way they will look more like natural cedar and tend to "pop out" more. You can mark the rings for each course lightly in pencil but very the edges slightly for a more random look when burning. You will be amazed at the difference in appearance.

Roger Chandler
12-14-2011, 2:55 PM
REAL NICE, Rich............great form!

Richard Jones
12-14-2011, 4:08 PM
Very nice birdhouse. One suggestion you might try on the next one is to be less precise on the shingles. That way they will look more like natural cedar and tend to "pop out" more. You can mark the rings for each course lightly in pencil but very the edges slightly for a more random look when burning. You will be amazed at the difference in appearance.

Mike,

Agreed, I thought that very thing after I did a couple.

Thanks.

Rich