PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of or have this lathe?

Bill Wyko
12-14-2011, 1:28 PM
This thing seems like an incredible machine. I was hoping to get some feedback from my fellow turners.
http://www.serioustoolworks.com/wood-lathes.php

Chris Studley
12-14-2011, 1:33 PM
I've seen their chisels before, the local machinery store has a few. If they are any indication, this must be one beefy lathe.

Scott Hackler
12-14-2011, 1:34 PM
Bill, I checked it out at the symposium and it's a giant chunk of a lathe. One demo they had was with a really large piece of wet wood mounted (purposely) off balance and turned up the speed. The darn thing it so heavy that is didn't move at all and I believe the guy cranked it up to 1500rpm!

I believe that down sides for it was that the head stock doesn't slide, it's pretty expensive and made overseas.

For the same kind of money I am still wanting a Robust American Beauty. It's a bit lighter, but American made and a few other extras I rather liked.

Roger Chandler
12-14-2011, 2:39 PM
Bill,

The Serious lathe is the super mac-daddy of all lathes currently on the market................for consumers. We had a rep from Serious toolworks come to one of our meetings...............if I remember correctly his name was Roger Trumbo........he is originally from our area.

That lathe weighs in at over 1500 lbs.........it is also manufactured for Serious to their specs in India.........the rep explained that due to cost constraints, manufacture here in the USA would price them out of the market. He also stated they have a rigorous quality control process, and this is a lathe that can compete and surpass the best on the market.

That is what I know..........hope it helps!

Jamie Donaldson
12-14-2011, 2:44 PM
OVWG member Lowell Converse has a white one that he has used for several years, and that's the only one I know about locally. I've only seen them in person at AAW Symposia, and they are built like tanks, small tanks without treads, and not meant to be moved!

Bill Bulloch
12-14-2011, 2:54 PM
$7,000.00 plus shipping -- I'd say that's serious. Bet that bugger will not walk across the floor.

Dale Miner
12-14-2011, 5:41 PM
On the OVWG website (it is ovwg dot org) Galleries, Member galleries, Lowell Converse, page 3, there is a picture of the lathe and some serious shavings. Lowell purchased this lathe many moon ago, and it was built in the USA. A sweet machine.

Bill White
12-14-2011, 5:52 PM
Dang! You could turn a Buick on that thing. There's not enough electricity in our area to run that puppy.
Bill

James Boster
12-14-2011, 7:41 PM
I'll keep my Oliver.... Weighs four times as much and only cost a little over half as much. I would really like to get time to use it someday.

Reed Gray
12-15-2011, 1:21 PM
It is a good lathe, but I went for the sliding headstock on the American Beauty, which is why I passed on the Oneway as well. My Robust was over $8,000 including the extended bed, steady rest, mobility kit, and tailstock swing away thing. If I had a shop where I would have every lathe I wanted to play with, it would be there with the VB36, Stubby, Vega, and others already mentioned.

robo hippy

Pete Jordan
12-15-2011, 3:26 PM
I have a friend with one and it is a beast! Very sturdy and smooth. It has a 3MT taper.

Bill Wyko
12-15-2011, 7:12 PM
Up until I came across this lathe I was tossing back & forth between the American beauty and the VB36. At this point I'm probably going to have to eliminate the VB36. Now it would be between the A,B and this one. The sliding head stock is almost a must for me because of my shop layout. What size are the thread and taper on the American Beauty?