PDA

View Full Version : Another saw bench

Sean Richards
12-14-2011, 3:42 AM
Built myself a bigger better saw bench a while back. Built out of some off-cuts from construction timber (which is Radiata pine in this part of the world) I found lying around in the barn. Abut 50 or so inches long with a nice wide ripping slot down the centre.

The D8 is a 28" Canadian made 5 pointer.

Sean

Jim Koepke
12-14-2011, 3:24 PM
Built out of some off-cuts from construction timber (which is Radiata pine in this part of the world)

What part of the world would that be?

Nice saw bench. Just be careful when ripping through a board to not hit your cross braces.

jtk

Sean Richards
12-14-2011, 5:11 PM
What part of the world would that be?

Nice saw bench. Just be careful when ripping through a board to not hit your cross braces.

jtk

That part of the world would be New Zealand.

And yes you do have careful when ripping - easy to start cutting the bench otherwise. But to be honest I have done quite a lot of ripping on this bench and the slot mainly gets used for clamping and the saw cut is outside the bench.

Sean

Jim Koepke
12-14-2011, 5:41 PM
But to be honest I have done quite a lot of ripping on this bench and the slot mainly gets used for clamping and the saw cut is outside the bench.

I have a "bird's mouth" on mine and I had to draw a dark line across to let me know where to move the board before cutting into the bench.

jtk

Jim Matthews
12-14-2011, 9:59 PM
Do I make out a tenon cut into the leg tops, and a housing cut into the bottom for the stretchers?

50"? That's substantial.

Sean Richards
12-15-2011, 4:32 AM
Do I make out a tenon cut into the leg tops, and a housing cut into the bottom for the stretchers?

50"? That's substantial.

Correct on all counts. Tenon in the top of the legs for the bearers and notches for stretchers.

I deliberately made it on the larger side and for my purposes it is just about spot on for size.

Sean

Steve Branam
12-15-2011, 8:00 AM
I have a "bird's mouth" on mine and I had to draw a dark line across to let me know where to move the board before cutting into the bench.

I treat the bird's mouth on mine as kind of sacrificial :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
12-15-2011, 2:54 PM
I treat the bird's mouth on mine as kind of sacrificial

I did not intend it to be, but it is.

jtk