PDA

View Full Version : 7mm shank router bits

Harold Burrell
12-13-2011, 9:35 PM
Someone gave me a whole set of 7mm shank router bits (from Europe). Does anyone know how I can use them in my routers???

I own...

Bosch 1617
Triton 3 1/4hp
Craftsman (fixed base something or other)
Ryobi plunge
Bosch colt
Ryobi laminate trimmer

They do seem like nice bits. It would be a shame for them to go unused.

Victor Robinson
12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Maybe I'm just being naive, but are you sure they're not 8mm?

david brum
12-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Are you sure those aren't 8mm? If so, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a reducer sleeve for any of your routers with a 1/2" collet. If they are 7mm, you could always have a machinist make a reducer for you.

Alan Schaffter
12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
You need a router collet adapter which is a special bushing. The most common available is 8MM to 1/2" for Leigh Jig metric size bits. Since 7 MM is larger than 1/4" you will only be able to use an adapter with a router having a 1/2" collet so that eliminates the Bosch Colt and the Ryobi laminate trimmer and any others that don't have a 1/2" collet.

I did a quick search and didn't find any 7 MM adapters, so you may need to have one specially made. A machine shop should be able to turn one easily but it may not be worth it.

Van Huskey
12-14-2011, 3:54 AM
Like the others I haven't run into 7mm bits, 8mm however is very common in Europe. If you are just mistaken and they are indeed 8mm the adapters for 1/2" collets are easy to find. Or you could just buy a Festool router...

Harold Burrell
12-15-2011, 8:56 PM
OK...my bad...they are indeed 8mm. So I should just search for reducers?

Gil Knowles
12-15-2011, 9:38 PM
Harold
Lee Valley sells a bushing adapter 1/2" to 8mm.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=42891&cat=1,46168,46171&ap=1

Gil

Eric DeSilva
12-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Before buying a reducer, you might want to double check that you didn't get one with your Triton. I might be confusing my routers, however, so don't get your hopes too high.

Curt Harms
12-16-2011, 5:41 AM
OK...my bad...they are indeed 8mm. So I should just search for reducers?

Porter Cable makes an 8 mm collet so you don't need a bushing or reducer. I don't know if anyone else does or not. I'd think that Bosch, being a European company may offer such a thing though it may be a special order item.

Jim Matthews
12-16-2011, 8:10 AM
These 8mm shanks will allow you to get into tighter corners, with a beefier shank supporting the bit.

If you're using large diameter cutters - stick with larger shanks for safety.
DAMHIKT

Jim Becker
12-22-2011, 3:34 PM
Your first choice should be to use an 8mm collet which is available for many routers, although not usually shipped with them with some exceptions. If an 8mm collet is not available for your router, then a reducer bushing for your 1/2" collet is the way to go. 8mm cutters are really nice in that they have a lot more stability and strength over 1/4" shank bits without the bulk of 1/2" shank tooling. That's a perfect situation for routing dovetails and other details where you might be situated with using a little more feed pressure for whatever reason. But I agree with the comment that 1/2" shank tooling is best for larger bits and jobs.

Jerome Hanby
12-22-2011, 3:37 PM
Before buying a reducer, you might want to double check that you didn't get one with your Triton. I might be confusing my routers, however, so don't get your hopes too high.

I was thinking the same thing, seems like my little triton plunge router came with standard and metric collets...

Alan Schaffter
12-22-2011, 4:04 PM
You can get metric (6, 8, 10 12 mm) collets for most PC and Bosch routers here (http://www.elairecorp.com/routercollets.html). The Bosch 1617/1617EVS were listed. I didn't see any other brands listed but they also sell metric reducers for 1/2" collets. Prices look reasonable.