PDA

View Full Version : Hip to be Square?

Toney Robertson
12-13-2011, 9:12 PM
With apologies to Mr. Lewis, a couple of square ones. Both out of the same piece of Spalted maple. 16" tip to tip. Different finish routine for me. Spayed on clear shellac and then several coats of lacquer. Not sure if I am a fan of it but I thought I would give it a try. Both pieces are a little under 1/4" in thickness.

All comments welcomed.

Ted Calver
12-13-2011, 9:17 PM
If it's not hip, you surely have made it so. These are really nice...beautiful wood, form and finish...and the photo's are not so shabby either. I like 'em.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2011, 9:21 PM
Looks good Toney! Great job on consistent thickness! Both bowls are winners but I find I like the one with the ogee curve on the wing best! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
12-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Nicely done! I'm kinda partial to the first one... I like that uninterrupted sweep up to the corner.

Baxter Smith
12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Well done Toney! I like both of them. All those white spots make it look very similar to a tree I cut a little over a year ago. Some of the wood was turnable but much was past its prime.

Chris Studley
12-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Very classy... I have tried the square thing but always manage to have some tear out near the corner and end up rounding them a little. Nice execution.

Scott Hackler
12-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Very nice, I love that first one!

David Reed
12-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Very nice work and that ogee is spectacular. One of my favorite shapes and you nailed it.

John Keeton
12-14-2011, 7:02 AM
Toney, really great work on both of these. It is interesting to note the "picks" of each poster. I love ogee curves and I am naturally drawn to that one, but the first one has a real "style" to it - tough call! The wood is nice, but it does look like it is almost too far gone. The white spots are a tell-tale sign for me. Looks like you were able to get a good finish, however, so it must have been OK.

Bill Hensley
12-14-2011, 8:48 AM
I got nothing but praise. Well done all around!

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2011, 9:30 AM
Really nicely done on both Toney. The form, thickness and finish look great. I like the second one with the curves.

Jim Burr
12-14-2011, 9:36 AM
I'm a fan! That's a big chuk of timber to have that close to your knuckles! That first one is my favorite,,,simple and classic. Nice work Toney!

Jamie Donaldson
12-14-2011, 10:55 AM
As a fellow square turner I have to say that "you done great!" I assume that you turned these the "honest" way, without waste wood glued on the edges that is sawed away after turning?

Toney Robertson
12-14-2011, 1:45 PM
As a fellow square turner I have to say that "you done great!" I assume that you turned these the "honest" way, without waste wood glued on the edges that is sawed away after turning?

Thanks.

Yep, no cheating or help here. Turned in the square form and it was an interesting visual and auditory experience when it was spinning at 1400!!! Kind of like a propeller!!!

Allan Ferguson
12-14-2011, 4:13 PM
Great work. Those sq. plates and bowls are something else to turn. They really whirr on the lathe and just love to bust your knuckles.

Bill Wyko
12-14-2011, 5:29 PM
Excellent on both counts. I did one a while ago that looks verysimilar to the 2nd one. My question is, ho many times did the invisible corners smack you in the knuckles? Mine got me over and over. I ended up putting green tape on the edges to make them more visible. Again, great work my friend.

Jamie Donaldson
12-14-2011, 7:28 PM
One of the safety and success factors in turning squares is to have good lighting above the piece while spinning. This highlights the knuckle busting corners as a visable ghost image, and reminds you to keep your attached body parts behind the tool rest!

Toney Robertson
12-14-2011, 7:42 PM
Thank you for all the nice comments.

No damage to the knuckles, I made REAL sure that I kept everything behind the tool rest!!!!

I don't know why but I always seem to enjoy doing these square pieces except for all the hand sanding. :)

Bob Bergstrom
12-14-2011, 8:34 PM
Wow, that had to be a challenge turning them that size and down to 1/4" and spalted to boot. Great work and technique. Thanks for sharing.

robert baccus
12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Superb bowls--that shape is not easy but you make it look so. question--did you glue sacrificial wood on the 4 sides? also which side did yoiu cut out first. did you still have all five digits? nice work!-------------old forester

Kathy Marshall
12-15-2011, 1:06 AM
They are both Very nice! I think I prefer the 2nd, but it's a real toss up. Really great job keeping the edges crisp and with the consistent thickness.

Toney Robertson
12-15-2011, 6:06 AM
Superb bowls--that shape is not easy but you make it look so. question--did you glue sacrificial wood on the 4 sides? also which side did yoiu cut out first. did you still have all five digits? nice work!-------------old forester

Thanks, I did not use any sacrificial wood. Turned from square stock. No cheating!!!

I attached to a faceplate and turned the bottom and then reversed using a recess.

All digits in place and no worse for the wear. When turning round stuff, I will sometimes let my hand get past the tool rest but not with these, I was VERY conscious about keeping everything behind the tool rest. The sound alone was a enough to remind me!!!

Jon Nuckles
12-15-2011, 2:18 PM
Really nice work! Have attempted a couple square pieces and have not achieved the clean corners you show here. Thanks for showing how well it can turn out.