PDA

View Full Version : Lights?

steven c newman
12-13-2011, 6:43 PM
In operating the old Franckensaw, I run into a problem. I could use a shop light OVER the saw, but the trusses in the pole barn are a bit to far apart for one of those 4' long, 2 bulb shop lights. I could run the cord over to the next shoplight, IF I liked walking around IN the trusses. Just need a simple way to light things up, without breaking the piggy bank...:confused:

Thad McCulloch
12-13-2011, 10:21 PM
What about one of those 8' long, 2 bulb strip lights instead of the 4' versions? I've got seven of them between the ceiling studs in my workshop and there's a LOT of light! Mine are connected with Romex, but you can get them with cords - just costs more.

Dick Strauss
12-14-2011, 8:58 AM
Or hang the light by a chain to span the difference...

Jerome Hanby
12-14-2011, 9:02 AM
I bought a roll of chain and used that to hang all my 4". You can use shorter lengths and severe angles to place the light where you want without dropping the height very much...

Joe Angrisani
12-14-2011, 11:19 AM
....but the trusses in the pole barn are a bit to far apart for one of those 4' long, 2 bulb shop lights.....

Can you just mount a 2x4 between the trusses and hang the 4' light fixture from the 2x4?

Mike Allen1010
12-14-2011, 6:42 PM
I have a bunch of 6 foot long dual fluorescent tube lights on the ceiling of my garage workshop and always thought my lighting was fine, however I always ended up having to position a folding arm, desktop light on my workbench for most operations.

I recently put up one of those circular aluminum reflector work lights with a 300 W bulb and the spring-loaded clamp attachments. I was amazed at how much better the lighting was. I ended up installing 4 of those directly over my workbench and I no longer need any additional task lights.

The fixtures were fairly inexpensive around $12. Since they attach with the built-in spring-loaded clamp and our adjustable on the ball and socket joint it would be easy to try out and see how works for you.

Regards, Mike

Carol Reed
12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Rather than tube fluorescents, I have 30 of the clamp lights with 27 watt daylight cfl's in them. There are nearly no shadows in my nearly 900 square foot shop. They are on a five foot grid from the middle out to 3 feet from the side walls on three switches. Like it so far and not all that expensive. One additional benefit is that spare bulbs are less of a hazzle to store than tubes. Into each life little blessings flow.