PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF - Critique Requested

Paul Heely
12-13-2011, 6:39 PM
This piece had a crack in the blank that I could not turn out, but I decided to finish it up anyway. I can always use the practice.

Size is: 6" tall x 6" diameter.
Finish: None, not even sanded.

What I see is:
The curve on the lower portion could be more curved and lead into a smaller base. This would also address the small flat spot.
The shoulder could be a little bit higher.

Other thoughts and ideas?

Thanks for the feedback.

Scott Hackler
12-13-2011, 6:52 PM
Paul, that isn't too bad. I see a bit of a flat section from the shoulder to mid-way to the foot. The size of the foot doesn't look too bad. The hole seems a little large but that could just be my bias towards a smaller opening. Overall, though you did a good job. I would encourage you to use a contrasting sheet of poster board under the piece as its on the lathe to see the profile as your going. At least that helps me A LOT!

Here is a touched up photo of your piece, so Jamie won't freak out! :)

John Keeton
12-13-2011, 7:02 PM
First off - that is some excellent finishing work with the tools!! No sanding and it looks great. I think if the shoulder were rounded out, the placement of it might be corrected - it doesn't need much. Personally, I like a bit more concavity going into the mouth - just a tad, and I do think the mouth could be a little smaller - it appears to be about 2" at the opening - maybe a little less.

Very nice orientation on the Ambrosia stain! Neat effect.

Nate Davey
12-13-2011, 7:03 PM
Nicely done one the form. You did well not getting tear out with that Maple. Aside from the flat spot you mentioned, it looks very nice. What finish are you planning?

Richard Allen
12-13-2011, 7:05 PM
A very masculine form. It almost looks like it has shoulders. I am looking forward to where it goes from here.

Alan Trout
12-13-2011, 7:11 PM
I agree with John but I will state it my way. The neck of the vessel should be more pronounced IMHO. The foot size to me is a little small compared to the opening. I have done this and found that The opening IMHO should always be smaller than the base. It is more pleasing to the eye. Overall the form is nice with some minor tweaks could be perfect.

Alan

Dennis Ford
12-13-2011, 7:21 PM
I see the flat spot you mentioned but otherwise it looks good. The shoulder height and the foot size seem fine to me. You might consider a slightly more dramatic curve just under the opening if you are looking for something different. Not every piece has to be perfect, this one looks very much worth salvaging from this view.

Paul Heely
12-13-2011, 8:14 PM
Scott, thanks for touching up the photo. I'm a little color blind and normally shoot with a gray card in the photo or a custom white balance. Must have forgot both on this one. I'll be working on getting the opening smaller. I'm on a hollow by hand kick and hope to get my opening sizes down much smaller.

JK, yes the opening is 2". Will try for a more pronounced curve to the mouth on the next piece. I have half a dozen more pieces of this maple to play with.

Nate, due to the crack that was in it when I started, I'm not finishing it any further.

Richard, thanks. This is one of the shapes that I seem to like more than others.

Alan, I agree with you and JK on a more pronounced opening. Will also try for a smaller opening on the next one.

Dennis, thanks. I'll give some thought to salvaging it. I've never been interested in fixing cracks in my pieces. Will probably throw this on a shelf and keep it around for reference.

David E Keller
12-13-2011, 9:58 PM
Not much that hasn't been said... A tad sharp at the widest point and a touch flat just below the shoulder... Pretty minor tweaks would put this piece over the top. I don't mind the wide opening, but I find a little bead there sometimes improves the aesthetic of wide opening pieces for my taste. All in all, it's a darn nice piece from some stellar wood.

Baxter Smith
12-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Great orientation on a very pretty piece of wood Paul! Sounds like all the little tweaks have been covered. I find it a lot easier to see little flaws on the last one than to correct them on the next one! You might try some type of finish on this one you would never consider doing on a perfect one. Someone posted a dyed ambrosia piece not long ago. Never would have considered doing that, but it looked pretty good.

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Paul - in all honesty, it is very hard to offer a critique with only one photo. The vase, as is, looks pretty good to me and all those flat spots folks have pointed out would be eliminated by sanding. Pretty wood and I like the grain orientation. The foot and opening look fine to me and you did soften the edge of the foot just enough so that it adds lift to the piece. Nice work on that.

Overall, I like the piece. I like the organic form, the shoulder placement, the subtle uplift of the form at the lip and the softened foot. Next thing to consider would be the finish and I do hope you take that one step further as this could be a beauty and not just a practice piece.

Have fun!!

Paul Heely
12-14-2011, 6:34 AM
Steve, what other photos, angles, perspectives would you suggest for future critique requests?

It does seem that this would be a perfect piece to practice a new finish on. I'll have to give some thought to something new. I do have some dyes that I used on my ornaments. Maybe it's time to play with some color, just don't ask me what color it actually is :).

Thanks again for all the great comments and constructive feedback.

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2011, 7:33 AM
Paul - located in the Master Sticky at the top of the page is this thread which sets up guidelines for those requesting a critique.

Critique Guidelines (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?56171-Critique-Documents-Sticky)

If you have any questions after reading that, please let me know.

Paul Heely
12-14-2011, 7:39 AM
Thanks Steve.

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2011, 9:36 AM
Paul most of it has been said. I do like the form and that is some fine tool work. I would finish it out myself.

Prashun Patel
12-14-2011, 9:52 AM
First, I think the wood is beautiful.

Personally, the top doesn't bother me. To my eye, it's the foot is not defined enough. I think the wall should come off the base at a distinct angle not as a curve. For a 'squattier' form a curve might be appropriate, but the walls are so steep on this, the curve at the bottom feels forced to me. I know this is the opposite advice you're getting, but FWIW.