PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 8 inch jointer help? Is it worth the $$ or keep looking?

shane lyall
12-13-2011, 4:00 PM
I got a line on a beast of a jointer at, what I think, is a gloatworthy price. Anyone running a Powermatic? Everything I own is Delta/Porter-Cable but I think I can buy this one for about $400. Haven't seen it yet but he told me it's an older jointer but looks new and the bed is about 6 feet long. He was away from his shop and didn't know the model number.It is set up for 3 phase now but said he has a 3hp century motor we can swap out if I want it. I have a benchtop Delta now but want a longer bed. Is this a good price? Anything to look out for in a Powermatic? I've never owned any PM tools but hear good things. Going to look/ bring it home Thursday. Any advice? Should I keep looking?

Jerome Hanby
12-13-2011, 4:05 PM
That sounds like a kick but, why aren't you already there loading it up kind of price! Assuming it's in fairly decent shape and the single phase motor fits and runs, I'd jump all over that bad boy. Being an older Powermatic would be more attractive to me than it being a new one.Is it green?

Mark Ashmeade
12-13-2011, 5:22 PM
I have a 60B, sounds like the one you're looking at is a 60. I'm guessing that from older model, 6' bed and 8" width.

I changed from a RIDGID 6" to this guy. The extra width is nice, but not that much of a step up. I do however appreciate the long bed, and smoother cuts from the faster head speed. I think he 60B runs at 21000 rpm vs 14000 on the RIDGID. More HP too.

I'm not sure of the differences between the 60 and 60B, possibly just "cosmetic". The mag starter is actually internal to the body, with a remote switch on the front of the base on mine. On the 60C, it's on a pole above the bed. No big deal at all.

For $400, I'd be all over it.

Van Huskey
12-13-2011, 5:36 PM
Good price. As long as it is complete, runs wells and works properly it is worth every penny. BTW "old" is subjective, I would be the most pleased if it is green.

Don Jarvie
12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Go now. Thats cheap for a 8 inch jointer never mind a PM. The Century motor will blow away any 3hp you have in your shop.

A little cleanup, setup, new knives and thats better than anything you can get new.

Go my man!!!!

shane lyall
12-13-2011, 11:39 PM
I would have went today but had to work. He had an appointment and can't be there tommorrow so I'm going Thursday. I stopped by Lowe's tonight and picked up the stuff for my new 220 branch. Yes it is green. He said it looks like an old Rockwell. "Old" is the reason I was interested in this one in the first place. I know the 3 horse is overkill on a jointer but I'm a sucker for ol' arn and it sounds like a great deal. I also found out he has a Delta shaper for $300 and a Woodmaster drum sander for $500! I have a feeling I'm going to be broke by the weekend and making a few trips to haul everything back! If it's all in good condition I'm going to offer $1000 cash for all three and see where he gos from there. I feel a MAJOR gloat coming on......I hope. Pics to follow

Myk Rian
12-14-2011, 7:27 AM
Take some wrenches with you, so you can take the top off the base, if needed for ease of moving.

Jerome Hanby
12-14-2011, 8:33 AM
Take cash with you. A fistful of $100 bills is hard to turn down, especially at Christmas...

Kevin Presutti
12-14-2011, 9:06 AM
An 8" joiner, made by Powermatic, if it is made in the USA is well worth $400.00. Shop around at ebay, CL, check other machinery websites, I would say the average for sale asking price for a PM60 is anywhere between $750 - $1000 and I have found plenty in $1200.00 range. Don't walk, but rather run to get this at $400.00, if the bed is nice and the motor runs, you are in good shape.

shane lyall
12-14-2011, 9:39 AM
The woodmaster is a 12 inch drum sander so i think ill pass on it. Hes gona hold the powermatic. Gloat....with pics.....coming soon. Or as soon as I can get this @&$&@&$ out of my truck. This dude is a beast!

Don Jarvie
12-14-2011, 7:32 PM
Agree the 3hp is a little overkill so keep and eye out for a 1 hp or 1 1/2 hp to swap out. That Century motor is perfect for a stationary planer.