PDA

View Full Version : Which glue to use with melamine?

Peter Lyon
04-23-2003, 8:44 PM
In an effort to "dress up" my frameless, melamine constructed kitchen cabinets, I've been thinking about covering the exposed ends with 1/4" plywood and attaching oak face frames to the front. However, I 'm uncertain as to which glue I should use to bond the wood to the melamine.

I'd appreciate hearing anyone's experiences and/or advice on the matter before I get in too deep.

Thanks in advance.

Todd Burch
04-23-2003, 9:14 PM
You are probably not actually gluing to melamine, but probably vinyl tape. Try polyurethane glue on a test sample to see what happens. You could always cut some biscuit slots or set some dowels and use yellow glue. If the front edge of the melamine is simply core material, just about any repsectable woodworking glue would work.

Todd.

Phil Phelps
04-23-2003, 9:22 PM
...is it too much trouble to peel off the banding? I tend to get it trouble when I glue over something like what you are describing. Hence, what Todd suggested about the dowles or biscuits. Gorilla glue seems to bond well, but it is only as strong as the substraight. Like I said, this may be overkill.

Dar Lounsbury
04-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Roo glue. Look at their website for details. Made to bond melamine to wood. http://www.rooglue.com/rooclear.html

Bob Powers
04-24-2003, 9:24 AM
I'm with Dar. I have used Roo Glue several times and it works very well. Its full name is "Roo Clear Melamine and Vinyl Adhesive." It is a non-toxic, non-flammable, water based adhesive.

If you have trouble locating it, their phone number is 503-981-5640.

Peter Lyon
04-24-2003, 6:36 PM
I actually do need to glue to the melamine as well as the tape on the front edges of the boxes -- the face frames to tape, the plywood to the exposed end panels (melamine).

As far as the Roo glue goes, thats what my father suggested but I guess this young pup (ha!) had to hear it from someone else!

jack duren
04-25-2003, 12:12 AM
only problem youll have with roo glue is it isnt going to stay in place by itself. youll either have to attach clamps and a piece of ply to hold it till it bonds/dries or pin nail it.

for speed contact adhesive will work. but youll need to understand it before you use it. good luck on the project.....jack

Rob Glynn
04-25-2003, 1:41 AM
An Australian's opinion.
Be careful with Roo glue, the damned stuff jumps off now and then. When we cook roo steaks on the BBQ we have to screw them down.
By the way, where do they get off making glue out of our national emblem. I am heading out right now to make a furniture polish from boiled down bald eagles.