PDA

View Full Version : How not to wax your planer bed

Brian D Anderson
12-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Apparently, having your planer at 3" is not high enough. 3 1/2" probably would have been fine. :D

So yeah, I replaced the blades on my Dewalt DW735 . . . raised the planer up to give me room to wax the bed. I put the wax on, wiped it off on one side, went around to the other, reached in to wipe the other . . .

Ouch!

That thing bled for a while!

So the new SOP for waxing will probably include raising the planer to it's max height.

3rd line in the manual for "Additional Specific Safety Rules for Planers":

Keep hands away from the underside of the cutter head carriage

Got it . . . now. :)

-Brian

Tom Walz
12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
On the other hand:
Congratulations on having sharp knives and doing it with the planer turned off.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Neil Brooks
12-13-2011, 1:16 PM
a) OUCH !
b) I don't see any snipe. That's a good thing ;)

Brian D Anderson
12-13-2011, 1:40 PM
a) OUCH !
b) I don't see any snipe. That's a good thing ;)

Little bit of tear out though. Maybe I need a spiral head. :D

-Brian

keith jensen
12-13-2011, 2:08 PM
As everyone knows, if you had a spiral head it would have removed everything below your wrist so cleanly you never even would have known you once had a hand at the end of that arm....and that's with the machine turned off, I imagine you would be vaporized if it were turned on.

Cody Colston
12-13-2011, 7:38 PM
I've heard of the fingernail test to determine blade sharpness but thats a little extreme. :)

I sliced my thumb once waxing the jointer bed. Those tools can bite even when turned off.

Victor Robinson
12-13-2011, 7:50 PM
Thanks for the reminder - I was doing just the same thing this weekend on the same machine and probably wasn't nearly as careful as I should have been.

ed vitanovec
12-13-2011, 11:55 PM
When waxing at the max height watch out for those knuckles, do ask how I know. :rolleyes:

Bill White
12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
BLEAHHHHH! YUCKKKKK!
Man, those injury shots make me hurt/gag/shiver!
Bill

Van Huskey
12-14-2011, 3:37 PM
Man that looks gnarly! I wouldn't have been as lucky, I would have hit the knuckle and exposed the whole freakin' joint!

Bobby O'Neal
12-14-2011, 5:58 PM
So you're saying the knives come out of the box pretty sharp, ehh?

Chris Tsutsui
12-14-2011, 7:37 PM
That's a fresh pic if I ever saw one. Thanks for the reminder that machines don't have to be operating for them to be dangerous.

Jeff Monson
12-14-2011, 8:46 PM
BLEAHHHHH! YUCKKKKK!
Man, those injury shots make me hurt/gag/shiver!
Bill

Me too.....but I still open every one just to kill my curiosity. Glad it wasnt worse.

michael case
12-14-2011, 10:00 PM
It was unplugged? Right!

jeth chiapas
12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I must admit that when I read the OPs story I thought to myself "how'd he manage that?" I often have my whole arm in the planer scooping out shavings (DC in the works and desperately needed) and I find it pretty hard to forget that there are some rather sharp things in close proximity.

Well, seems the tool spirits got wind of my mocking thoughts and came to teach me a lesson...

Like that... Sneaky devils, strike when you least expect it.. I caught myself daydreaming whilst cutting small pieces at the bandsaw or with my fingers the wrong side of a chisel tip a few times today. Then a cordless drill and a screw decide to bite a chunk out of my finger. Like most accidents it happened so quick and unexpectedly I am not sure what exactly ate me, either the bent screw (was screwing a "pin" for a wooden handle on threaded rod and I guess the holes weren't perfectly aligned, the screw caught on the rod and doubled up under the torque!) or the driver bit, don't know.
A neighbour helped me out with a tincture of alcohol and herbs, which burnt like crazy 5 secs then switched of the pain till this evening :) I'm accident prone, I think I will buy the bottle from her.

Anyway, wasn't intended to be a "I got a scar too" reply, but folks seem to have admitted a morbid fixation with injury pics so just thought I'd share :)

Larry Edgerton
12-15-2011, 7:13 AM
I use a buffing wheel in mine but I did learn that lesson waxing my jointer one day.

Wax the table "Before" putting in the new blades.......

One of my "Duh" moments.

Larry

Brian D Anderson
12-15-2011, 8:10 AM
I use a buffing wheel in mine but I did learn that lesson waxing my jointer one day.

Wax the table "Before" putting in the new blades.......

One of my "Duh" moments.

Larry

You know, I thought about that. Though I tend to replace one knife at a time. I was quite careful replacing them . . . using the magnetic tool and everything. I could obviously take all 3 knives out, wax the table, then put the new ones in. I do however wax the table periodically without changing the knives.

And yes, the planer was of course unplugged. :)

I have to admit . . . the fingernail doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would. A little annoying, but it really doesn't hurt bad.

-Brian

Neil Brooks
12-15-2011, 9:28 AM
Jeth-

As divots go ... that's a good one :)