PDA

View Full Version : Low profile shop made mobile bases

jared herbert
12-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I decided to start a new thread since the one on these mobile bases is a few days old. I have made several of these bases. I use 3 in casters, two that are fixed and two that swivel. Depending on how even your floors are, you can make a base that only raised the profile a little over an inch. I use a 2x4 or 2x6 for the piece that the wheels are bolted to. The spacers that separate that piece from the 3/4 in thick bottem boards are cut from old pallet material. The 1 by boards for the bottem are from some ash wood that I just happened to have laying around. I just use a lot of screws and some construction adhesive to fasten them all together. ONe thing you have to allow for is enough room on the end that has the swivel wheels to allow them to turn all the way around. If you make the base 2 or 3 inches wider than the actual machine, it seems that they are very stable and no more likely to tip over than the machine without the base. I have a delta wide belt sander that I bought used from a friend that came with a factory made base and I like my home made ones a lot better , they seem to be a lot more rigid. Jared215666215667

Jerome Hanby
12-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I like the notion of having the bases low to the ground when I'm using the equipment, but I really need height when I'm rolling things in and out of the shop (to work in the driveway when it's sunny).