PDA

View Full Version : Dining Table Finished

Chad Easterling
12-13-2011, 6:02 AM
Good morning! I wrapped up the DW's new dining table last night. Overall a fun project. I learned a lot doing the finish work on it. Thanks to all who provided input into the finish schedule in the Project Finishing area.

The pictures really don't do the final color justice, but I couldn't get the camera to cooperate last night-

First, the table in its new home- 215655. The china cabinet will be going away once I get a new one built. Now for some detail pictures. First, the iron work- 215656. I did all the welding as well. Now some "aging" details- 215657. The color in this last photo came out really yellow. It is actually much more amber/garnet colored as in the first picture. Not sure what the camera was doing there.

Finish schedule on the wood was TransTint Dark Mission Brown dye followed by amber shellac. Then a glazing of General Finishes' Java gel stain. That was followed by an amber shellac and then three coats of the water-based Varathane Diamond Floor Finish applied using a sponge brush.

Finish schedule on the metal was strip all coatings off the metal using muriatic acid (nasty stuff!). Then, heating until it is red and applying paste wax to it (lots of really nasty smoke). The metal was then re-heated to set the carbon coating. This process turns the metal permanently black. No painting required and it is super durable.

Comments are welcome!

Thanks!

Jerome Hanby
12-13-2011, 8:30 AM
I like your table. Very "manly". Looks like it would hold up a buffalo!

Chad Easterling
12-13-2011, 8:56 AM
Thanks! It was based on the Benchwright table at Pottery Barn that the DW liked.

It is pretty beefy. Wife is barely able to pick the top up without the legs attached. Some not so nice words were exchanged between she and I during the carry-in from the shop to the dining room last night :)

Prashun Patel
12-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Surprised this hasn't received more traffic, Chad. I like this table a lot. Great finish. Where did you get the turnbuckle? I love that effect.

Jim Rimmer
12-19-2011, 1:12 PM
Surprised this hasn't received more traffic, Chad. I like this table a lot. Great finish. Where did you get the turnbuckle? I love that effect.

Guilty, Prashun. I often look but don't comment, mainly because I read the posts during lunch at work and don't have time to comment. That said, I love the table, really nice work and at least 289 people have looked at it.

Chad Easterling
12-20-2011, 9:44 AM
Thanks Prashun. I appreciate the feedback.

I learned a lot doing the finish. It was the first time I had used the TransTint dyes, shellac, General Finishes gel stains or the varathane finish, so it was interesting.

I "made" the turnbuckle. I found the actual turnbuckle at Tractor Supply. I stripped the galvanizing off using muriatic acid. I then cut the eye and hooks off and welded the threaded rod from them onto solid 5/8" rod. After that I threw everything into a fire pit and heated it until it was red and then applied paste wax to it. After a lot of really nasty smoke, the metal turned the black color you see.