PDA

View Full Version : Chuck lube

Chris Colman
12-13-2011, 5:18 AM
What do you all use to lubricate your chucks?

I have stayed away from wet lubes, being afraid of accumulating sawdust and making things worse.

What have you found success with?

Richard Kennedy UK
12-13-2011, 7:13 AM
I am no expert but I was told that you can use graphite powder but generally its not needed I gave mine a spray of wd40 and let it dry before I reassembled them but I wouldnt use grease as you say its probably only going to get dust and bits stuck to it. I was also told , and I can see the point, that a stiff chuck doesnt vibrate as much and the stiffer jaws add an extra bit of grip when the thing is in use! I am happy (expecting ) to be educated otherwise!!!:confused:

John Keeton
12-13-2011, 7:40 AM
I use WD-40, but I think the key is to blow the dust out of them frequently, and occasionally soak them in mineral spirits to clean them.

Fred Belknap
12-13-2011, 8:05 AM
Spray finishes and glue are what cause most problems. I cover the chuck when I can. I occasionally use WD40 and I always blow the dust out. I don't have any problems.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2011, 8:46 AM
I disassemble and clean my Talon chuck at least once a year and then use dry graphite powder as a lube. Works great for me!

Michael Mills
12-13-2011, 9:24 AM
I use graphite in an aerosol can (shake well like paint). The carrier evaporates in about a minute leaving a smooth coating of graphite. I also used it on the interior of the tail stock in place of oil/grease. Should be available at any automotive or hardware store.

Roger Chandler
12-13-2011, 10:08 AM
I have disassembled my Super Nova 2 chuck......it came packed with grease from the factory.......it also has a backing plate with indexing detents in that plate............very little dust accumulates............I had a burr on one of the gears and it was hard to turn......

I repacked my chuck in hi-temp grease, and have been using it now for several months.......still smooth as silk and if I need to clean it every year or so.........that won't be a problem...........just remove the large snap ring that holds it all in place and clean and replace the grease again.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I take my chucks apart once a year or so and clean. I spray with a lube that when the carrier dries it leaves a dry slick surface. Blow out the chuck after most every turning.

Bob Hamilton
12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
I disassemble and clean my chucks when I notice the are not operating as smoothly as I would like. I spray the parts with Topcote before putting it back together. It seems to work fine.

As Roger pointed out, the SN2 is packed with grease and the plastic back plate must be removed to have access for cleaning and replacing the grease. On mine the grub screw that locks the thread adaptor in place protrudes just far enough above the surface to make it impossible to remove the back plate. The grub screw must be removed first or the plate will not come off even after removing the snap ring.

Take care
Bob

Harry Robinette
12-13-2011, 9:34 PM
I've been using PG2000 (3000) can't remember. Is made to dry lube metal to metal contact. I also use it on my bed ways works great.

robert baccus
12-16-2011, 8:16 AM
I repack my nova 2's with white lithium which is what the factory appears to be using. also i forgo the plastic rings on the spindle and use anti-lock thread compound from auto stores. these also lube the threads to prevent wear. this is what the machine shops use daily.---------old forester

Noah Barfield
12-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Captain Eddie on youtube has a great video about cleaning chucks. I found that WD40 has worked just fine so far.

Noah

robert baccus
12-17-2011, 12:06 AM
I wish someone would check with nova about this. WD40 is a good cleaning fluid and solvent when working on metal. is is useless for rust control and appears to be the same for lubrication as it dries and does not last. anything with gears deserves a grease. sawdust is not to worry about--it seldom cuts cast iron--just looks bad.--------old forester