PDA

View Full Version : Four planes to have.....the LN viewpoint

Roy Wall
03-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Hey all,

Had a great time @ the KCWW show. I spend many hours at the LN Booth!!!

Here's the top Four (from r to l) :

60.5 - R rabbet LA block
#4.5 Smoother (w/ additional York Pitch Frog as add on)
#7 Jointer
#62 LA Jack plane

Fifth plane would be the Scrub........

Deneb & Teale were great!! They even ate some fine KC Steaks!!!

John Weber
03-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Roy,

Very nice! So which ones did you take home? I'm still missing the rabbet plane, but in time. I acutally listed a few planes tonight in the classifieds in hopes to fund a 5 or 5-1/2, but I'm having trouble making up my mind - oh problems to have.

John

Terry Hatfield
03-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Roy,

Sounds good to me. Go ahead and send that set over to me and I'll get back to you in a year or two with a review. :D

BTW...the 60 1/2R is sweet!!!!!!!

t

Roy Wall
03-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Roy,

Very nice! So which ones did you take home? I'm still missing the rabbet plane, but in time. I acutally listed a few planes tonight in the classifieds in hopes to fund a 5 or 5-1/2, but I'm having trouble making up my mind - oh problems to have.

John
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...........I actually had them already;) At least it made me feel smart!:D

Mike Holbrook
03-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Wow, nice Roy! That just makes me itch to make some shavings.

I was thinking about a LV Shoulder Plane next but that LN rabbeting block is mighty nice too.

Roy Wall
03-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Roy,

Sounds good to me. Go ahead and send that set over to me and I'll get back to you in a year or two with a review. :D

BTW...the 60 1/2R is sweet!!!!!!!

t
Terry,

Oh man, I'd trust you--I really would:D

So I take it you're not moving away from "scary sharp" anytime soon...:cool:

Corvin Alstot
03-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey all,Had a great time @ the KCWW show. I spend many hours at the LN Booth!!!
Here's the top Four (from r to l) :
60.5 - R rabbet LA block, #4.5 Smoother (w/ additional York Pitch Frog as add on),
#7 Jointer, #62 LA Jack plane. Fifth plane would be the Scrub........
Very solid selection.
I would look at the 073, or a 10 1/2 before the Scrub but it all depends on the work you
are going to do. I like my 102 very much.

Roy Wall
03-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Wow, nice Roy! That just makes me itch to make some shavings.

I was thinking about a LV Shoulder Plane next but that LN rabbeting block is mighty nice too.
Mike,

Yes, it will clean cheeks and shoulders with the best of them!!! Good little rabbet worker too. The only downfall would be to wide to clean out most dado joints.

Thanks- I kinda went "crazy" last summer on the haul........

Terry Hatfield
03-09-2005, 7:49 AM
Terry,

Oh man, I'd trust you--I really would:D

So I take it you're not moving away from "scary sharp" anytime soon...:cool:

Roy,

Actually, I had my new MKII on my door step when I got back from KC. I sharpened lots'o stuff in no time on Sunday. It is sweet!!!!

Terry who is not using water stones any time soon. :D

Michael Gabbay
03-09-2005, 8:51 AM
Roy -

I guess I'm on the right track. I have the LN 4 1/2 and and 60 1/2R. They are my favorite planes. I have on order the LN large shoulder and my next purchase will be the LN LA Jack sometime this Summer. I guess I'm kinda of addicted to LN planes. :)

Deneb is great. I now go to the shows just to listen to him talk about planes and show how to use and adjust them.

Mike

Chris McKimson
03-09-2005, 11:28 AM
It's reassuring those were the first 4 I bought. The only other currently is a 5 1/2, but I'm eyeing either the 3 or the large shoulder as my next. I have birthday money burning a hole in my pocket. :D

Chris