PDA

View Full Version : Milling molding on a Jointer?

Chris Cockerham
12-12-2011, 9:35 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum
I'm planning on doing a small kitchen remodel in my house. I was wandering if it is possible to cut molding with a jointer. Where would I buy or have knives made?
Its an older craftsman 6" jointer.
Thanks
Chris

Peter Quinn
12-12-2011, 9:43 PM
Not really possible. The opening is not typically large enough to accommodate molding knives, most 6" jointers don't have enough power to take that big of a bite, there is the issue of feeding. Making large moldings is not a hand feed operation. You could get a set of knives ground to make the relief cuts found on the back of many casings, but there are other ways to do that too. You can make chamfers and tapers with a jointer, but crowns and casings are not really feasible.

J.R. Rutter
12-12-2011, 9:44 PM
No. Even if you could adjust the tables to clear profile knives, there are many reasons NOT to do this. Jointer heads are designed for thin steel knives with very minimal projection. Moulding knives are thicker steel to take the extra force that a deeper cut generates. There is not likely any locking pins or other positive method to lock the knives into the jointer head. The gibs designed for thin, straight knives are not up to holding a profile knife in place. I won't get into the many other safety reasons to avoid using a jointer this way. Props for being creative, but please don't do this...

Chris Cockerham
12-12-2011, 9:53 PM
Thankyou for the input. I was having trouble finding examples of this, and finding any knives for a jointer. I would think finding enough router bits to suit my needs on my table would do me up just fine. If I can come up with a few excuses the wife might let me buy i nifty little woodmaster I've had my eye on for years.

Peter Quinn
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Thankyou for the input. I was having trouble finding examples of this, and finding any knives for a jointer. I would think finding enough router bits to suit my needs on my table would do me up just fine. If I can come up with a few excuses the wife might let me buy i nifty little woodmaster I've had my eye on for years.

A wood master will do it, as will a shop fox or W&H, or a large shaper with corrugated back head. Just not a jointer.

Dave Cav
12-13-2011, 1:09 AM
Don't overlook the table saw molding heads sold by Sears and Delta. They are still available, as are the knives, from Corob. corobcutters.com

Larry Edgerton
12-13-2011, 7:08 AM
Not possible on what you have, but not always the case.

My old Porter Jointer was also used as a molder. The tables slid back to allow for profiled knives to be used in it, but the knives in a Porter weigh half of what your Sears weigh [Slight exageration, but not much] I never did it as I have machines meant for that but I could see how it would work with a power feed.

Larry

Jerome Hanby
12-13-2011, 8:27 AM
You can do it on a table saw or radial arm saw with a molding head. Looks like one of those activities where you would want to be very cautious and have everything thought out in advance.