PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 6" jointer - G1182ZX

Todd Davidson
03-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Does anybody have any experience with one of these jointers? A buddy of mine is relocating and so is selling most of his larger shop tools. He's asking $275. I currently own a 6" Ridgid (JP0610 - Emerson made w/lifetime warranty) which has proven to me to be a decent machine. I do like the closed stand and above table on/off buttons of the Grizzly. One of the guys that works for me will give me $200 for the Ridgid & the 3 extra sets of knives I have for it. In anyone's opinion is the Grizzly worth the $75 it would cost for me to swap machines?

Charlie Plesums
03-08-2005, 11:13 PM
I don't know the Grizzly jointer (but like other Grizzly equipment). However I had the Ridgid JP0610 until I recently upgraded to a 16 inch. It is an excellent jointer, except too narrow (I consider 8 inches minimum).

I found the switch location on the Ridgid excellent - I often turned it off with my knee, when walking away carrying a large board with two hands. That is a good habit so your knee is ready instantly in case of problems, as well. All the off switches on my new machine are knee height.

Given the extra cutters, I would pay $75 to upgrade to the Ridgid. Actually I would not change until I could go to at least 8 inches.

Steve Inniss
03-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Todd,
I bought the Grizzly 3 years ago when I was living in Mass. partly because it was the editor's choice of all 6" jointers (I think it was only $325 at the time though). It has been a great addition to my shop - excellent machine, no complaints at all.
I can't make any other comparison for you, although I do agree with Charlie that the 6" width is the main limitation. -Steve