PDA

View Full Version : How do you make rare earth magnets stick?

Josh Bowman
12-12-2011, 5:05 PM
In lathe work, I find rare earth magnets are a life saver for small tools, calipers etc. However I have had a time trying to get them to permanently stick to what I want them to.
I started this thread with an opportunity for folks to share those ideas to keep the slippery things stuck to what we want them to stuck to.
So share you ideas.

Josh Bowman
12-12-2011, 5:10 PM
I'll start with an idea I saw at a gun show yesterday. This guy was selling a strip of 4 rare earths that were attached to a piece of hardboard strip. He simply used a piece of heat shrink tubing to hold the magnets then screwed the hardboard to what he want to. The purpose his product was to hold a gun. I used his idea to hold an aux switch to my lathe. See the pictures below.

steven carter
12-12-2011, 5:41 PM
I used CA glue to attach a magnet that holds my supernova chuck handle. Been working for 3 years.

Chris Colman
12-12-2011, 6:22 PM
I use epoxy and scratch the bottom of the magnet with coarse sandpaper to give the epoxy something to grip.

Jim Burr
12-12-2011, 8:09 PM
If you hadn't defected to the yellow side!!...CA or epoxy works equally well. The big variable is time...CA is fractile and epoxy is cured forever. In either case...wait 2-3 days before you get to busy