PDA

View Full Version : Just another which lathe to buy question

Shawn Russell
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I am currently using a loaner Jet mini lathe, but the time to return the lathe has arrived.

I am currently looking at the Delta 46-460. My turning tasks are pens, handles, door/drawer knobs, and hope to do spindles for a deck and stairs. I don't ever see myself doing artistic or decorative items, so no bowls.

Thus, do you think this lathe will be able to handle 38-46 inch spindles without any problems? I know I will need to buy one or maybe two extensions for the unit; what I do not know is if a 1hp motor is enough to turn 4x4 material that maybe up to four feet in length. And, does the size/weight of a lathe affect the amount of deflection I will see when turning long 'thinner' stock?

Would also appreciate any advice if you think there is a better lathe out there... I am not looking at spending 3k on a lathe but I am willing to up my budget to find the tool that will do a great job at all of the above tasks.

Thanks

Tim Rinehart
12-12-2011, 1:29 PM
I don't see where this lathe will have much problem with big piece of 4x4 stock. Deflection shouldn't be an issue either.
Only thing is...once you start adding up extensions, you start getting into range of bigger lathes. Jet 1442 would need no extensions, but you don't have the same sort of electronic variable speed with Jet till you get to the 1642.
I suspect you'll get alot of advice and suggestions.
Good luck.

Jim Burr
12-12-2011, 2:04 PM
I don't agree with bowls being decorative/artistic, rather the complete opposite. Determine what your current need are and be realistic about where you'll end up in 2-5-10 years. The 1014 is an amazing lathe and has far less plastic than the Delta. I turn on a 46-460 a couple times a month. For beef and simplicity, the Jet is still my choice. I did some work on my 1642 this morning and realized I still needed more part for it so I chucked the piece on my 1014. Check out Griz, General, Teknatool...all the others and don't leave out your local turning club...see what they use and try them out. Think I know a guy in GA with a cool Jet for sale!

Reed Gray
12-12-2011, 2:13 PM
The only better lathe would be a bigger lathe that is used, so less expensive. Contact the local club members. Some one is always upgrading.

robo hippy