PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Powermatic Lathe, the easy way.

Josh Bowman
12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
As some have noted from my stealth gloat in a previous post, I bought a PM 3520b lathe. My jet is covered up awaiting to be sold. Here is a photo essay of how I've moved several lathes, and mostly by myself. Hope it helps someone. The engine lift came from Northern and is the cheaper one at about $150 on sell. It folds nicely against the wall and as I got trapped between the lathes leg and power outlet, it allowed me to pull that leg off of the lift and free the lift.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Well now... that sure beats taking the lathe apart and then carrying it piece by piece to your basement shop, down the stairs and up hill both ways!!

Dan Forman
12-12-2011, 1:08 PM
Congrat's on the new lathe. I'm with Steve about the trials of getting tools into the basement. I don't know how I'd get that engine lift down there, let alone navigate around the stationary tools. :). I resorted to using a lever and fulcrum to swing the end of my PM out so that I could turn with the headstock at the tail end of the lathe for bowls.

Dan

Richard Kennedy UK
12-12-2011, 1:19 PM
Great way to move a PM I used my sister it was very effective:D Enjoy your lathe its a beauty!

Baxter Smith
12-12-2011, 7:21 PM
That was easy! I took mine completely apart to put in my van and still used one. Guess I'm getting old....:)

Allan Ferguson
12-12-2011, 8:01 PM
Better paint that lathe red to go with the rest of your stuff.

Brian Ashton
12-13-2011, 3:10 AM
I bought a cherry picker for that purpose. I had bought it before my oneway had even showed up. It's the only thing that I move with it.

John Keeton
12-13-2011, 5:34 AM
Josh, when I upgraded all my flat work tools a few years ago, I bought a shop crane to unload and move all of them into the shop. Like you, I can back a truck/trailer into my shop - sure makes the job easier! Not having a basement shop is another big plus - sure would be a pain to move tools up/down a stairway.

I didn't post in your other thread, so a belated CONGRATS on the upgrade!

Bill Wyko
12-13-2011, 1:29 PM
Ok, now roll that baby right into the bed of my truck. I'll take over then.

Russell Eaton
12-13-2011, 5:50 PM
I like BOTH ways myself. Congrats on a very nice lathe.

Thomas Canfield
12-13-2011, 7:48 PM
That is too easy. I just loaded mine in a POD Saturday in pieces, and had to go up 7 steps from my shop to POD. I added some 2x6 about 2' long across the ends of the ways, and remounted the drive on the ways for shipping. It was a good 2 man job. Your way is much better, but mine will be in storage until after move and a new shop built.

robert baccus
12-13-2011, 11:59 PM
I used 8-10 very crotchy, creaky, complaining retired wood turners but we all smiled when done!----------old forester

Mike Peace
12-14-2011, 2:35 PM
Better paint that lathe red to go with the rest of your stuff.

Now that is just WRONG! Mustard forever.

Ryan Mooney
12-14-2011, 5:09 PM
I got essentially the same crane about 6 months ago at HF for around $160 with the 20% coupon that's commonly available (for any other westcoasters). I can attest to it making a whole lot of things like this easier. It also folds up reasonably small (considering).

I took the headstock and tailstock off before moving my lathe because I was afraid it would be unbalanced, was pretty easy to hoist the headstock back into position with the crane though.

It was also amazingly simple/easy to lift the BS onto a mobile base with the crane.

I think its saved me $160 in chiropractor bills already :p