PDA

View Full Version : Spooky LinkedIn activity

John Coloccia
12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Anyone else finding that LinkedIn has started pulling connections out of it's...uhm...

For example, Cary Falk has shown up on mine as a possible connection. David Weaver showed up this morning. Someone else from a homebuilt airplane board showed up too (I've been inactive there for years). I find this rather creepy, like there's a stalker out there trying to piece together the various parts of my life. I have nothing against Cary and David, but why on Earth is LinkIn connecting me with them? We only interact on SMC so they are obviously out there data mining EVERYTHING.

I've already dumped Google. LinkedIn might be next. I really don't need this kind of microanalysis of my life.

David Weaver
12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't even have a profile there. Or do they just make one for you, anyway?

John Coloccia
12-12-2011, 11:18 AM
It's probably just a different David Weaver.

David Weaver
12-12-2011, 11:38 AM
There are many! There were four in my small hometown, and even where I live now, there are two just in LV's system in my zip code, as I recall from a phone order. There was even a second one on the same floor I'm on at work, for a different company, though I'd never met the guy and they moved out. Saw his name on the signout sheet one night and thought maybe I was in bizarro world.

Rich Engelhardt
12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Cary Falk
I wouldn't mind at all if it was Carly Foulkes... :D

I had a whole bunch of Indian (India) suggestions flood mine for a while.
I figured it out to be orginating from tech support calls I'd placed.

They finally stopped after a few weeks.

Jim Matthews
12-12-2011, 4:29 PM
I'm on the lagging cusp of all this. I owned one of the first Motorola text pagers that could receive data, coast to coast.
After 309 straight days of "urgent attention required" messages from my employer, I vowed to get out of touch.

Now kids are signing up for phone plans that track their movements?

There are two generations of internet users blythe about personal information; if a website doesn't sell a product, the only thing it has to sell is you.

David Weaver
12-12-2011, 5:24 PM
I just thought of a monday joke, I'm almost afraid to share it...

... but someone should create an internet networking site for nefarious dealings of contraband and other such things in prison and call it "clinked in"

( i may be the only one who laughs at that, but my ancestors were germans - who as far as I know, have a habit of making jokes that other people find dumb - what can I say?)

:D

glenn bradley
12-12-2011, 6:55 PM
Having been in data networking for nearly 30 years I avoid social networking out of hand. This and one other forum are as close as I get. Its too late for many of you as "the internet is forever" but, you can stop increasing your profile making yourself easier to snare. JMHO and NOT shared by MILLIONS of your closest (and not so closest) friends. ;-)

Bill Cunningham
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I never had anything to do with 'linked in' but every week I get emails from 'Linked in' asking me to link to someone I've never heard of.. I just delete them.. I know nothing about these network thingys, I'm even 'Facebook' illiterate.. My wife says I'm just not sociable.. Frankly I ain't got that much time to waste.

John Bunday
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Linkedin is weird period. Invited to join several months ago by a colleague and immediately began getting a lot of garbage and personal requests from places and people I never heard of. Attempted to contact Linkedin on their web sight requesting a delete of my e-mail address and stuff still comes. Colleague who referred me has had the same experience. and also wants out. My advice: Delete everything that even refers to Linkedin no matter what the source is.