PDA

View Full Version : A Bushel of Bowls and a pair of pens

Kathy Marshall
12-12-2011, 2:38 AM
I've just about finished up the order of bowls for my tree trimmer friends. They wanted a bunch of smaller bowls to send out to their clients for Christmas. Lucky for me, when I talked to her a couple months ago she reduced the quantity to about 40. Don't know where the time went, but December sure snuck up on me quick!
I turned the last 7 this weekend and have a few that I will complete the finish on over the next couple of days.

The pic is of about 30 of them, they range in size from about 4" to 6" with a variety of shapes and finishes. Woods include, mesquite, acacia, ash, sisso, spalted pecan, mulberry, arborvitae, eucalyptus and jacaranda, all of which came from my tree trimmer friends. Part of the order was for 6 larger bowls, 4 for their crew and 2 to take back to their family in Texas (part of the batch needing final finish).
And just to break up the monotony of bowls, bowls, bowls, I turned a couple of pens from maple blanks and then dyed them. I think I prefer the blue one, just wish I had had a sliver or chrome slimline kit (the blank looked really nice against the bushings lol). My stepmother asked me to turn some pens for her to give as Christmas gifts, so I guess I'll be turning a few more this week along with another for my boss who managed to lose the 1st and 2nd pens he bought from me, I'll see if he has better luck holding on to a pen as a gift :D.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Dan Forman
12-12-2011, 4:17 AM
Wow, someone has been a busy gal! Congrat's on getting so much work done, I'm sure they will be happy, and supply with lots more wood.

Dan

Chris Colman
12-12-2011, 5:15 AM
Oh, boy! That will get the supply of wood coming for next year.

Nice.

John Keeton
12-12-2011, 7:39 AM
Kathy, I think I recall seeing a few of those before! You are a turning machine - unbelievable, actually.

Roger Chandler
12-12-2011, 7:44 AM
Yep...........you are a turning machine!

David E Keller
12-12-2011, 8:54 AM
Too cool! If you still need some pen kits, drop me a PM... It's been a while since I turned any, but I think I've got some kits I could send you.

Betty Fox
12-12-2011, 9:00 AM
Yep. Ron and I have noticed the trend to 'lose' pens. Almost the very first pen Ron sold was traded to a car dealership for a tank of gas. Those pens just don't get 'lost.'

Great haul. I admire your volume and quality.

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
You are a machine Kathy. That is a great looking bunch of turnings. Pens look really nice.

Scott Hackler
12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Boy, that is a herd of bowls! You sure have spent a ton of time at the lathe lately.

John Beaver
12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Kathy, that is a really great looking group of bowls.
You did a really nice consistent job of balancing the grain and working with the sap wood.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2011, 12:03 PM
I think the correct term would be 'production turner'!! Wow! Very nice work! Going to be a lot of very happy people this Christmas! Thanks for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
12-12-2011, 1:17 PM
Wow! That is a plethora of bowls! Amazing. But "only seven this weekend"? Taking it easy are we? There is one in particular that looks especially nice. It's right there in front and looks like rosewood with a cove at the top. Any chance of a bigger pic of that one?

Steve Mawson
12-12-2011, 1:54 PM
Really nice, all look great. Would think your tree trimming friends will be pleased. Looks like I see writing in some of them-done by hand or machine??

Baxter Smith
12-12-2011, 7:11 PM
Quite the picture Kathy! The little bit of unnatural color in there does liven things up. (Hard to believe I actually think that):)

John Keeton
12-12-2011, 7:21 PM
There is one in particular that looks especially nice. It's right there in front and looks like rosewood with a cove at the top. Any chance of a bigger pic of that one?Good eye, DD!! I noticed that one, as well!

Kathy Marshall
12-13-2011, 1:37 AM
Thanks for the great comments everyone!
I delivered the bowls today and she was very happy with them, and I left with a check in my pocket so I was pretty happy too :D! She made little labels to send with each of them that say something like this " This bowl was hand made by Kathy Marshall from wood that may have come from your property". I think it's pretty cool that she is helping to promote me!
I finished that last of them tonight, they are the ones for the crew and her family, so they're bigger and nicer. I'll deliver them on Wed and I think she'll be happy with them.

Kathy, I think I recall seeing a few of those before! You are a turning machine - unbelievable, actually.Yep, you've see quite a few of them before!

Too cool! If you still need some pen kits, drop me a PM... It's been a while since I turned any, but I think I've got some kits I could send you.Thanks for the offer David, I've still got plenty of kits left. I ordered quite a few of them just before the hollow form bug bit me!

Wow! That is a plethora of bowls! Amazing. But "only seven this weekend"? Taking it easy are we? There is one in particular that looks especially nice. It's right there in front and looks like rosewood with a cove at the top. Any chance of a bigger pic of that one?Thanks David! This is the only pic I could find of that one, pictured with another similar bowl. They are both acacia and textured with the decorating elf.

Really nice, all look great. Would think your tree trimming friends will be pleased. Looks like I see writing in some of them-done by hand or machine??Thanks Steve! Their company name is burned into the bottom of each bowl with my Razor burner.

Bill Embrey
12-13-2011, 9:15 AM
Impressive, Unbelievable, Fantastic, Wow... I just can't think of enough words of praise for the work you do Kathy...

Donny Lawson
12-13-2011, 6:10 PM
Kathy, you need to take a break or at least breathe every once in a while. Nice bowls and pens.