PDA

View Full Version : DAMP December, 2011

Mike Cruz
12-12-2011, 12:15 AM
I just gave a play by play of the entire day, was just about done loading pictures, and the website froze on me and I lost the whole flippin' thing. Sorry, I don't have it in me to recap the whole thing.

215516215515215514215517 Here are some pics.

Tony on a large round. One that I cut up. The four of us. Dan cutting away.

Tony eating chili. Peter's haul. Tony's haul. Hats that Peter had made. Thanks Peter!

Kathy Marshall
12-12-2011, 12:47 AM
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'd say you saved about 7,936!
Nice pics and some gorgeous wood! Heck of a gloat! and it sure looks like you 4 had a wonderful day!

Richard Jones
12-12-2011, 3:59 AM
Mike,

That looks like a fun day for sure. Nice to be able to get together like that.

Can you tell me about the plastic sheeting for your curtain? Where you got it?

Thanks for sharing your day.

Rich

Russell Eaton
12-12-2011, 6:41 AM
Mike that is some sweet Ambrosia Maple. Look forward to seeing what you make from it. That is a rough looking crew....;)

Mike Cruz
12-12-2011, 7:15 AM
Thanks Kathy, it really was fun day. And that wood is just amazing. The one Tony is cutting up in that one pic has got to be over 30 in diameter!

Richard, I took 1" EMT pipe and bent it to surround the lathe area. The curtain is good old shower curtain from the BORG. Threee of them is enough to make it around.

We are a rough looking crowd, aren't we? :D We're a little rough around the edges in more ways than one...:D

Roger Chandler
12-12-2011, 7:40 AM
Love the hats! Super ambrosia Maple........the beetle tracks in it are going to make for some beautiful turnings! DAMP is having too much fun!

David E Keller
12-12-2011, 7:50 AM
Looks cold! That ambrosia log is unbelievable, and the chili looks pretty good too! Thanks for sharing!

Tim Rinehart
12-12-2011, 8:49 AM
I think the hat is about as clever as it gets...and yea, the wood looks ok...ahem...OK, it looks fantastic! Those are gonna yield some beautific turnings! Nice job guys, nothing like sawdust fellowship.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Amazing wood! Sure looks like you guys have a good time when you get together!!

Mike Cruz
12-12-2011, 2:32 PM
Just got time to take some pics of my pile. 215567 And Dan't pile. 215568 He really didn't want much. Liked the edge stuff for NE bowls, too. And wanted the thin center cuts for pen blanks.

Baxter Smith
12-12-2011, 7:07 PM
Looks like a meeting for Ambrosia's Anonymous!

Nate Davey
12-12-2011, 7:46 PM
Wow that's a big piece of AM. Nice to have a bunch of friends to help out isn't it?

Mike Cruz
12-12-2011, 8:53 PM
Help out? They took 75% of the stuff away! That isn't helping out, that is robbery... I could have spent just as much time down there, cutting up that log, and ended up with the same amount of blanks cut up. AND STILL HAVE 3 TIMES MORE WOOD DOWN THERE NOW!!!!!!! :D

Yes, Nate, it is good to have friends that I can share what I have with. Actually, this tree was my neighbor's. He was going to cut it up for firewood. I bribed him with 4 bowls if he let us have it... I'm very lucky and happy to have these guys around.

Peter Elliott
12-12-2011, 9:41 PM
Let's just say Mike wouldn't have any of that wood if DAMP wasn't there to yank it out of the marsh... just a reminder D3!!

Curt Fuller
12-12-2011, 9:59 PM
That's quite a hunk of wood! Looks like you guys have a great thing going there.

Mike Cruz
12-12-2011, 10:36 PM
I may not have gotten it out as quickly or as cleanly (that one is for SURE), but I'd have gotten it out. Probably would have crawled in there and cut it in two, and dragged it out in sections. Not to mention, my neighbor was going to get it out one way or another, so I could have used him to help. I'm not helpless, though I did appreciate ya'll's (can you use two contractions in a word?) help immensely. Ergo your reward of an ATV trailer full of wood. Make some purdy stuff out of it, my friend.

Mike Cruz
12-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks, everyone for your nice comments on the wood, and our little knucklehead group. Most of us enjoy most of our company... :D BTW, my wife felt extremely welcome when she popped her head in the shop to take our picture, guys. Thanks for making her feel so welcome. If I were in her shoes, I don't think I'd want to get within earshot of the likes of us...:rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
ya'll's (can you use two contractions in a word?)

Yes, if you put them in the proper place. :rolleyes: Y'all's or more properly "all y'all's".

Can't wait to see what you guys do with this splendid wood. Hurry up and get started, you still having to factor in shipping time so my present gets here by Christmas. :D

Mike Cruz
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey, is that soliciting? Not the arrestable kind, but a form nonetheless?

Maybe next meeting, we'll have to turn a Belinda bowl. :rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
12-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey, is that soliciting? Not the arrestable kind, but a form nonetheless?

Maybe next meeting, we'll have to turn a Belinda bowl. :rolleyes:

Ohhhh, that should be entertaining. It would have lots and lots of flaws and would explode under pressure . . .

Dan Hintz
12-14-2011, 6:52 AM
Ohhhh, that should be entertaining. It would have lots and lots of flaws and would explode under pressure . . .
Yes, but it looks wonderful standing in the middle of the table and.....

nevermind......

Belinda Barfield
12-14-2011, 7:05 AM
Yes, but it looks wonderful standing in the middle of the table and.....

nevermind......

Well, it is a major award . . . :p:D