PDA

View Full Version : Dark Finish Even Coverage

Andre Powell
12-11-2011, 11:02 PM
I would like to refinish a cabinet top, originally from Cost Plus World Market. The finish is dark brown, and a semi-gloss finish. I think the furniture is made of rubberwood, there is a made in Thailand stamp.

I tried to match the finish with Minwax stain, but I can not get the wood dark enough. The picture attached shows the Minwax stained piece (left), original finish (center), and a piece of rubberwood? with the finish planed off (right).

Anyone have a suggestion on how I could get this to match? Any idea what kind of finish this is?

Thanks,
Andre

Scott Holmes
12-12-2011, 1:48 AM
Most likely not a stain it, and top coat it type finish. Dye? then stain? then toner? and or glaze? then top coat...

I have never worked with rubberwood so I don"t know it's traits. Finish looks almost like a paint. I can't really see any grain. May just be the picture.

Michael Moscicki
12-12-2011, 2:08 AM
Duraseal Antique Brown would be your best bet.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/SPEEDINBULLETNY/stain20colors.jpg

john lampros
12-12-2011, 6:59 AM
It is my experience that it is a sprayed on glaze. the equivalent of exterior solid hide stain. common in lots todays modern furniture where crappy wood has to be obscured so much to hide the fact that there may even be different species adjoining each other. I agree with Scott, to imitate its going to take something like dye first them stain and probably a toning gun. And one heck of a strong topcoat.

Chad Easterling
12-12-2011, 8:28 AM
Maybe General Finish Java gel stain? It is pretty dark.....

Prashun Patel
12-12-2011, 8:57 AM
I would try applying a dark espresso-ish gel stain on top.

Scott Holmes
12-12-2011, 5:47 PM
Michael,

These sample colors you rocommended are on Oak. I have no idea how will they look on rubber wood. Have you used this stain on rubberwood?

Andre Powell
12-12-2011, 7:11 PM
John and Scott,Can I just buy some glaze? Is the glaze tinted? I have a little critter spray gun, any idea if that would spray glaze?

Michael Moscicki
12-12-2011, 7:18 PM
Michael,

These sample colors you rocommended are on Oak. I have no idea how will they look on rubber wood. Have you used this stain on rubberwood?

Never used that stain nor stained rubberwood. I only have experience with Minwax stains since that's what's locally available to me. Just merely looked for a stain that would match your center piece. I would assume that it may take more coats on rubberwood, however I'm no expert, so I'll leave it up to the more knowledgeable people.

Scott Holmes
12-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I doubt a critter sprayer can spray a glaze. It should have no trouble spraying a toner. Glaze is similar to gel stain; toners are usually shellac or most often lacquer with a color added. I prefer the dye toners over the pigment toners. They don't hide the grain.. this will be a multi step fnish dye for the base color then a seal coat then a glaze and/or a toner. Make sure you seal between the glaze and the toner if you use both. Then your top coat.

Andre Powell
12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Scott,

Could you recommend a lacquer toner? I put some alcohol and then lacquer thinner as the sticky post in this forum explained. The laquer thinner removed the finish, so I guess it is lacquer.

Also, I found a used piece of furniture from the same store, but a shade lighter. Could I just spray the lighter piece with toner to match the darker pieces i already have?

Thanks,
Andre