PDA

View Full Version : Shenhui almost rdy to order- any thoughts

Eric Ucci
12-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm new to the post in the last week. I have extensive experience with cnc routers and mills. I always wanted to try a laser. Then, a couple weeks ago I had an opportunity to use autodesk's "123d make" with some epilogue routers and I got the bug. Well, I'm not not loaded and I cant afford an epilogue, so I'm in the market for an affordable Chinese laser. I've never purchased directly from China, so it was a little daunting. However, after hunting up and down discussion posts for a while I have become a convert, mostly due to Rodne G. and George P.

For the most part, I expect to use the machine for 1/8" baltic birch assembled models. I work professionally with Inventor and several other software apps so generating the 3d models and cut files is a breeze. I'm approaching this from the perspective of a sculptor, with the intention to use this as a quick method of prototyping. In another life I was quite prolific and now after years of kids, job, etc. I'd like to get back into it. I don't need a large machine, however, I figure a good 80w Reci with a large table gives me the most options. Id like to be able to cut 1/8"-3/4" Baltic Birch, 1/8"-3/4" acrylic. But, I'd also like to cut some very thin plastics as well, in order to create thin membranes over wood structures. I would also like to be able to cut and label 1/8" cardboard to use for quick "throw away" prototypes.

I've had a lengthy correspondence with Ms. Wang at Shenhui and this is where we're at.

Shenhui SH-1512 (as configured $4,400) shipping and fees we're still working out
80w Reci Laser
Power supply - AC220v
Working area - 1500x1200
Max moving speed – 3000mm/min
Worktable – honeycomb
Auto focus (Ive seen mixed reviews on this) with Motorized lift table
Imported Linear Rails & Blocks from Taiwan
Resolution – 4500dpi
System Environment – Win2000/Winxp
Software-Lasercut 5.3
Water chiller CW5000
Water cooling with protection
Blower fan
Air Pump
Pass through opening for large stock

EXTRAS - We're still working out the price. But its cheap, nonetheless.
1 spare 80w Reci Laser
1 spare set of mirrors
1 each of 40mm,50mm,70mm,100mm imported lenses
2 spare axis motors
1 spare motherboard
1 spare of all drive belts

Here's a look at their new "box type" laser. It's very different from the older SH-1512. Ms. Wang says its the new box model that it uses 3mm cold rolled steel, has many new features (which are lost in the translation) and uses the Taiwanese rails and blocks. I think most other mechanical parts are the same as the older version. Apart from being absolutely fugly, it's supposed to be an improvement over the older black & orange box. Has anyone seen this model before?

Obviously this is not a 1500x1200 machine. If it were, it would be about 6 ft tall.
They said they could give me the old box style. However, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this.
If anyone notices any red flags, I'm all ears.
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Eric Ucci

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 12:34 AM
The AutoDesk 123d Make looks promising. I've noticed several errors in the slot generation. If you don't need to change the angle of the slicing plane and consistent spacing between slices is okay - then for now, SketchUp with plugins works better.

I don't know why but for the last two lasers they can't seem to drill the pass-through hole for the laser beam in the right location. You might want to tell them to make sure the hole is centered where the beam passes through the sheet metal. On the first machine, the 25mm hole was about 8mm off center. The one we just received, about 12mm off center. The only way that the beam could get through was to have the laser tube aimed at the top sliver of the mirror.

I sent detailed instructions to Shenhui on how to attach the table to the brackets - which ride on the jack screws that raise and lower the table. On my large machine it was a truly terrible design. I think I posted pictures a while ago. The last machine, a GH690, did not require the modification, the existing method is fine. I would ask them to send you a photo of the underside of the table where it attaches to the brackets to be sure that the design flaw on the larger machines has been fixed.

You might want a spare LCD.

On the first machine we received panels to cover the front and back pass-through slots. On the second, we didn't. If you want them it would be good to specify.

They can put an access panel on the side nearest the first mirror. It is convenient.

Rodne Gold
12-12-2011, 1:17 AM
As far as I know , they do not use lasercut 5.3 but RDCAM/laserworks? I have also never seen a red/white casing at them albeit maybe its the "new" box. Looks quite good to me. Ask em about the lasercut 5.3 , IMO laserworks/rdcam is better - they can supply either.

Max moving speed is also VERY low , 3000mm/min = 50mm/s - are you sure this is correct as these machines move at 500mm/s? Maybe its a type on your part.

You want a knife edge AND honeycomb table , not just the honeycomb if its not too expensive . Honeycomb over a 1500 x 1200 area might have an issue re sag etc..be careful about this. Ouir 1200 x 800 table honeycomb has some sag.
As to spares , you want a spare : Tube , tube power supply , full set belts , stepper motor , stepper motor driver , motherboard , lcd panel , 2 sets mirrors , 2 sets lenses it comes with in addition to intalled lenses and extras, 2x red diode pointers.
Also , I am pretty sure you will NOT get thru 3/4" acrylic or baltic birch (or any wood) with any great success with 80w, thats pretty thick stuff.

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 1:31 AM
Yeah, I don't know about 3/4" wood. Haven't tried it... yet. It will cut through the ~3/8" plywood that the crate is made of at 5mm/sec though.

Rodne Gold
12-12-2011, 1:49 AM
I spoke to my connectuion there , Blanca , she says that is the new style. Just check one thing , a 1500 x 1200 is a BIG machine , make sure you can get it thru any doors you need to.

George M. Perzel
12-12-2011, 4:58 AM
Hi Eric;
Check previous thread re Shenhui for advice on what to ask/buy/check regarding your order. Max cut in ply/BB will be 6mm (1/4") with 80 watt tube-should be OK with 3/8" plexi but not sure of any thicker as never tried it.. Ask questions, get pics, and verify what will be sent and specs on accessories. Also make sure you tell salesman that you want him to personally verify all parts are packed and machine is fully tested and you will hold him responsible.
Good Luck
george

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 6:58 AM
I have not run very many tests but I do think that the 80 watt Reci can do better than 1/4". I guess it depends at what speed it is no longer worth the trouble. I found a piece of 23/32" 7 ply ext that I tried to cut a while ago - it made it 7/16" into the wood. I have yet to upgrade the air assist, I would expect some improvements once that is done.

I have tried 1" acrylic just for fun. It cut 3/4 through using the 50mm lens - additional passes haven't helped. Actually I did get all the way through once running at 1mm/sec but the backside was not a clean edge. I have cut 3/8" without problems. I think 1/2" should be good too, I'll be testing that soon.

john banks
12-12-2011, 8:02 AM
Ours was due to be on the boat now, but "the shell is crashed when the workers moved it", so they are making a new one, should be shipped Friday so have paid balance. It will still be orange/black, presumably the old design.

Eric Ucci
12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks to all for your help!

I'll do what I can to get photos. I'm having a hell of a time getting them from Beata Wang, the salesperson I've been dealing with. She insists that the red and white machine in the photos that I posted are the new machine with a 1500x1200 working area. I have asked nicely, several different ways. May be language barrier issues, etc, don't know. Wouldn't you all agree that the machine in the photos can't possibly be the 1500x1200? I'll keep pressing her to send actual photos. There have been so many typos and inaccurate info on the specs that she sent that most of our correspondence has been confirming/correcting the initial specs that she sent.

I guess I'll have to scale back my expectations on material thickness. No big deal. I have personally seen 3/8" BB being cut on a 75w laser, so I expect to do at least that. I only expected to be able to do 3/4" because of the videos that I've seen that claim to be 80w lasers cutting 3/4" thick wood. In all fairness, they appear to be cutting solid hardwood not plywood. My understanding is that you are able to cut thicker solid wood since it doesn't have the glue layers and possible voids. Even if i can only cut 1/4 BB I can deal. What are the drawbacks if I choose to go with a 100w laser? Will it perform worse than an 80w on thin stuff like cardboard?

As for handling the large machine, I'm all set. I know exactly where the machine will go. I built my shop with (2) 10ft x 10 ft overhead doors and the driveway is level with the floor. The machine will be able to roll right into place on casters. All set with a dryer vent right where the machine is going and 240v power. I also have a complete shop air/dust collection system, however I imagine I'll want to use the airbrush style air pump to keep noise down. I'm wondering how the freight forwarder will deliver it, though. It seems too big for a lift gate. Beata has the machine size at 1700x1450x1200 (package size at 2100x1900x1300). I question this dimension because it seems awfully compact compared to the specs I've seen on other machines with the same working area I'm pretty clear on the electronics/mechanical side of things. However, the laser lenses and mirrors are new to me. I get the idea of the focusing lenses used for varying thickness. But I don't understand a couple things in the machine specs. what are these two things?

Focus mirror (import) (40mm) 30$
Reflector Lens (import) (40mm) 30$

One other issue I'd like to ask you guys about...
This machine will not be used in a commercial environment. I don't expect this machine to be running as often as you guys are running yours. Can I adjust the necessity for all the spare parts if i am only using the machine about 10% of the time compared to you guys?

I'll dial in the specs with Beata and see if I'm able to hold her feet to the fire.

Thanks again for all the help!

Eric Ucci

Gary Hair
12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I have tried 1" acrylic just for fun. It cut 3/4 through using the 50mm lens - additional passes haven't helped. Actually I did get all the way through once running at 1mm/sec but the backside was not a clean edge. I have cut 3/8" without problems. I think 1/2" should be good too, I'll be testing that soon.

If you can't cut 1/2" with 80 watts then you might have a problem. I have a 30 watt GCC/LaserPro and I have cut 1/2" with it. Granted, it's at the slowest speed possible, but the point is, it cut it - quite cleanly I might add! I would bet you could cut 1" if you can slow it down enough, air assist and exhaust extraction are a must. Multiple passes on acrylic don't seem to help, they usually just muck things up.

Gary

john banks
12-12-2011, 1:31 PM
Eric, I know the feeling on the going back and forth with them on email, it took us some time to get the price anywhere near what others paid, whereas that seems to be the least of your issues.

I think the thing with the spares is that they are cheap if you get them now because of shipping.

George M. Perzel
12-12-2011, 3:17 PM
Eric;
I know communication with them is difficult, particularly due to the time difference, 12 hours in my case. But time spent now clarifying specs and issues will pay off in the future- get a free Skype account and chat with them even if you have to get up in the middle of the night. I don't know Beata but she must have a tech assigned to her-get her to identify him and chat with him-I recommend Yarde-good tech-with Joy next. Sometime you will have to rephrase the question several different ways due to language barrier but they correspond better in English than we do in Chinese! Save your Skype chats for reference-ask for pictures all through build process and get final pics of all four sides of machine and spares as it sits on palette prior to final boxing(4 sides and top). Do not hesitate to make them change things that do not look right. Again. insist that Reata send you an email prior to shipping stating that she personally inspected all items and verified all parts are in box.
Best regards
George
Laserarts

Eric Ucci
12-12-2011, 5:52 PM
George,
Thanks a bunch. I never would have expected they'd provide all that through the build process. I guess I keep imagining that this is an in-stock machine that they will crate up and ship off. The advice about the tech and skype will be very helpful. I appreciate that they are doing their best to understand me and that's why I am always mindful to be polite with them. They certainly are extremely polite with me at all times!

Can anyone comment on the possibility of stepping up the size to a 100w Reci? I am not interested in engraving. I just want to have the most flexibility with material thickness. If I step it up to 100w will I loose the ability to work with very thin materials or cardboard?

Thanks again to all!
Eric

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 7:31 PM
There is quite a bit of moving mass so fast vectoring will result in squiggles - especially with the larger machine. The other day I was able to vector at 11% power but I think 15% is a more reliable low end power setting. If you want to do detailed vectoring in delicate materials I think a 100 watt would not produce the best results.

Eric Ucci
12-12-2011, 7:57 PM
Rich,Thanks. It sounds from other posts also that the 80w reci is the sweet spot. However, this brings up an interesting point. Perhaps its not such a good idea to get such a large machine. With all that inertia in a larger gantry I may be sacrificing precision. If i can expect better quality cuts from a 4'x3' machine, it may be wise to go smaller rather than get the 5'x4' machine

Eric Ucci
12-12-2011, 8:17 PM
Thanks Rich,That brings up another issue. Perhaps in my zeal for a larger machine I may end up sacrificing precision. With a 1500x1200 work area there is an awful lot of inertia. Perhaps it would be wise to go with a smaller 1200x900 if it will yield better cuts in thinner woods. I expect to use 1/8 to 3/8 Baltic birch a lot. I know it's available in almost any size. I'm just not sure what is most economical. I'd hate to get a great deal on 5'x5' BB and have to cut it down.

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 8:18 PM
I have noticed about a .4mm variation in my machine. When making tick marks (vectoring) for a meter long ruler I found that the first tick was off by nearly half a millimeter. The rest are accurate to approximately .2mm. I think backlash compensation would help. I haven't found where to adjust that in the large machine but the new one that we just received does have that setting. I'm considering swapping main boards to support the newer software.

The moving mass is not going to change by reducing the Y dimensions (except for the slightly longer belt). I would estimate that the larger machine should be accurate to +/- .3mm, perhaps better with the backlash set properly.

Eric Ucci
12-12-2011, 8:20 PM
sorry for the redundant post. My ipad went screwy

Eric Ucci
12-12-2011, 8:25 PM
The moving mass is not going to change by reducing the Y dimensions (except for the slightly longer belt).

I would have thought a 1500x1200 would have a gantry that is 300mm longer than one on a 1200x900 machine.

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 8:26 PM
Another thing to consider with the larger machine is that alignment is more critical. The beam also has divergence so it will cut differently in the upper left than the lower right. If you adjust the power and speed to cut in the upper left, you may find that it hasn't cut all the way through in other parts as the beam has to travel a longer distance. Beam divergence and alignment are both factors.

I have a beam expander that I will be installing someday, I expect that to help a lot to keep the cut consistent across the table.

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 8:32 PM
I would have thought a 1500x1200 would have a gantry that is 300mm longer than one on a 1200x900 machine.

Sure, but its the X direction that increases the gantry length. The Y direction isn't going to matter. A 1200x1200 would have the exact same gantry as a 1200x900. I think the 1200x900 is a good size, even 1200 x 800 if you don't need the depth. I chose 1400 x 900 so that I was able to cut across 48".

Eric Ucci
12-12-2011, 9:44 PM
Rich,
I didn't realize this was an issue. I assumed that lasers didn't diverge at all. Is a beam expander something Shenhui could provide in the order? Or at least something that I should consider purchasing? I would like to be able to cut large objects up to 4' in size.

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't think Shenhui supplies them but they seem to be getting better all the time so I would check.

All lasers diverge. Even the little 12x24 Epilogs use a beam expander/collimator - they call it "Radiance Optics" I think. Others refer to it high resolution optics etc..

Without the expander you will need to cut with more power. They should be able to vary the power in software based upon the length of the beam path but I have not heard of this being done.

Eric Ucci
12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Just heard back from Beata. It turns out that I was right. She cant send photos of the 1500x1200 in the new box style because they havent made one yet. Mine would be the 1st. I am very apprehensive about being the guinea pig for a new model. I'm inclined to stick with the old box style considering they should have many the kinks ironed out of them. Especially considering the ad-hoc fabrication that some have described here. I just can't get a handle from Beata what are the improved features in the new box. I know that if I ask them they'll claim that there will be no problems with the 1st one they build.

Rich Harman
12-12-2011, 11:42 PM
That's a tough call. The new style, if it is 3mm, would be much heavier and more solid than the current frames. The really important parts just have to fit in the frame. There's not a lot that they could screw up in that regard. It's just a box after all.

All of the precautions still apply; centering the hole for the beam, table attachment method etc..

Either way, expect to spend some time on the machine before installing the tube to tighten things up, or even making minor corrections.

What part of the world are you in Eric?

Rodne Gold
12-13-2011, 1:01 AM
If you want to do heavy duty cutting , get the 150/180w RECI and use a 70mm lens (which will give thicker kerf but much less beam divergence than the 40/50mm supplied lens) , the real issue is that you CANNOT fire these tubes under 15% power , so you are "limited" with a 150W RECI to about a minimum of 20W - if you were for eg cutting thin a4 printer paper , you might not have enough speed to balance speed and power and thus overpower it
Having said that , I would go for the 150/180w as its far more useful than limiting yourself to 80w cos of thin material cutting. You could buy ANOTHER smaller machine with a 50w tube for less than $2500 and the spares you order for the big machine will cover it too apart from tube and tube power supply which wont cost more than $250 extra.
We cut up to 10-12mm thick acrylic with our 80w - thicker results in a bad bottom edge. For thick acrylic like 20mm or so and for thick wood I use the right tool , a CnC router - the laser is NOT the right tool for this type of material. Yes , you can chisel stuff out using a screwdriver , but you wont get the results a chisel will. You cannot say you will be using the machine 1/10th of the time some of us do , you WILL find plenty extraneous applications and thus the spares might come in handy. As George says , you might as well order them as freight is "free" , to DHL something like a tube to you will probably cost as much as the spares you order or more. At thick material cutting speeds , whether you get a small machine or big one , it dont matter. As I have said earlier , it would be a better strategy to get a humungous POTENT large machine AND a small one. Yes , you can pound in a panel pin with a 4lb sledgehammer , but it's not the right tool.

Rodne Gold
12-13-2011, 1:10 AM
PS I have tried to channel "sales" "generated" by my postings to Blanca Yan and her Tech Yarde Feng , as Blanca is by FAR the most capable of all I met there in dealing with "western" sales , but it seems that internal politics in the CO dictate that sales are tended to on a regional basis by the regional salesperson. IE Pascal seems to do N American stuff.
I have also tried to get them to quote on a "western" package , IE all the bells and whistels , top of the range parts and a bag full o' spares. Apart from that , I have also given em a blueprint for QC on machines going out to "western" clients. Kinda a bit of a waste of time tho.
Approach dealing with em like dealing with children , you need to specify everything in great detail and continue checking up it's all ok.

Eric Ucci
12-13-2011, 5:33 PM
Rich,
I'm in Upstate New York USA

Rodne, point well taken. However, I can deal with a 3/8" max thickness for ply and acrylic. I also expect that what I learn from this process will greatly inform any decision I make if I do require another machine.

I'm going to go ahead with 1400 x 1000 (if they cant do that size, ill go with 1400 x 900) 80w reci in the new box. I think that should do the best to meet my overall needs. I also really think can learn from using this machine and it will inform any other purchase I make in the future.

I think I have the details of the order to my satisfaction. Now I'll have to research a freight forwarder.

Thanks all!
Eric

Rich Harman
12-13-2011, 6:57 PM
I cut through 1/2" acrylic today at 3mm/sec. Slowing to 2mm/sec gave a nice, relatively smooth cut.

George M. Perzel
12-14-2011, 4:26 AM
Hi Eric;
I am also in upstate NY and can recommend a freight forwarder who handled the whole thing for me from Shenhui. PM me if you want his info. Also, make sure you specify that Shenhui deliver packed machine to your freight forwarder in Qingdao-closest seaport to Shenhui. Call me if you need to discuss.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts
585-924-4519
gperzel@rochester.rr.com

Rich Harman
12-14-2011, 8:56 AM
I used ASA brokers, they picked up the machine from Shenhui. Total cost for all shipping + customs was $820.

Eric Ucci
12-20-2011, 7:31 PM
I just got back from a trip with the kids so I let this thread go for a week or so.
I think I have all the info I need to make a decision with the laser (s). I'm on the fence about Rodne's suggestion to get 2 machines. one big for thick stock cutting and one small for finer materials and engraving. The problem is that with the spares it jacks up the price a lot ($1900 usd for a 150w reci w power supply). Plus, not much room for 2 machines.

Anyway, now that I'm close to ordering, I have a couple of questions.
1. How do I pay? I asked about paypal or credit card and Beata said no. The want USD from a bank account. Do I wire the money to them?

2. Do they tend to come down from the price they quote? I'm worried that if I try to haggle with them, they might cut corners somewhere that will adversely effect the quality of the product. Any thoughts?

Rich Harman
12-20-2011, 8:02 PM
They should take PayPal. It's how I made the downpayment on the first machine. They prefer not to use PayPal because of the fees.

Their prices are low enough that I don't think haggling is worth it. Instead, make sure they make the machine the way you want, ask them for pictures before paying the balance so that you can verify that everything is right.

If you don't like the way it is going maybe speak (write) to Pascal.

Vicki Rivrud
12-20-2011, 9:40 PM
Hi Rodney,
Is your honeycomb aluminum or iron?

I just replaced my aluminum with a new iron one in hopes of avoiding the sagging issue.

Vicki

Rodne Gold
12-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Mine is iron , large format honeycombs will almost always have some sag due to size.
It's as expensive to ship one or 2 machines , you might as well get 2. You could save by buying a 100w source as a replacement for your 150w. You still have a good powered spare and an upgrade to the smaller machines power....

john banks
12-21-2011, 7:17 AM
We went for 100W as it seemed much better value than 130W (both up front but especially for replacements) and sounds like it still might be OK for engraving, a compromise like all things. Quotes were for wire transfer. We did negotiate the prices quite a bit as initial quotes were more than what others on here have paid to get less and it was very difficult to get them to see that where things were counted twice on our invoices when being compared etc. They came down about 10% (I stopped pushing further when they were knocking $20 off from previous quotes!), to about 10% more than others paid. Still a good deal, but we'll see what state the machine arrives in. I'm accepting it will need a lot of tweakery, but it isn't the same as buying a $50k machine from a UK supplier (price for a CadCam of a similar size and power) where they come and install it and hold your hand for a day or two, it comes with a computer, compressor, extraction, their software, probably does cut straighter/better etc, but for a new startup that outlay worried us, this is less risky by far as long as I get a machine that I can make work satisfactorily. Our intial offer of 20% below CadCam's price (we were offering $33k for an FB700 50W, so smaller and less powerful than the Shenhui) resulted in them laughing and they didn't get back in touch again, said they had plenty of business. Epilog in the UK were more expensive than CadCam and couldn't even after sending to the US produce straight kerfs in 4mm hardwood - a circle could not be refitted except in its original orientation that it was cut.

A badly made or bent chassis would ruin the whole Chinese machine dream for us somewhat, but short of that hopefully most things will be able to be overcome. Hoping not to receive two broken tubes and a load of randomly incorrect wiring plus a machine full of rainwater etc ;) Or no machine at all. It is a calculated risk with the odds more favourable thanks to Rodney and others.

Keith Outten
12-21-2011, 9:17 AM
Eric,

What you may be sacrificing is speed. This is what I found out recently.

FWIW I can cut 5/16 " thick hardwood with my Epilog Legend 24 with a 35 watt power supply. Maybe someone is measuring power output differently than other manufacturers?

Khalid Nazim
12-21-2011, 9:31 AM
John,

I was and am a complete newbie to the whole Laser engraving/cutting scene. I took the plunge to get a good sized, powerful Chinese machine based on the detailed reviews by Rodne, George and Rich. I went with Shenhui as a few people already had the machines from them and were happy with it. After having my machine for 2months now, I must say that I am very pleased with the machine and the support I get from Shenhui. So, I am sure that you will be pleasantly surprised to see a tank sized machine to land up on your door step in couple of months and you will have that up and running before you know it. Furthermore, you have the ever present support on this forum :) You can always reach out to me and others who have Shenhui's when you get your machine so that we can help you get up and running.

Regards
Khalid

Khalid Nazim
12-21-2011, 9:36 AM
Eric,

I would suggest not to ask for discounts but ask them to include spares. As for the payment, I wired them 30% advance and the remaining 70% when they were ready to ship. Rodne had wired them 100% advance. Shenhui is a large company and they are safe to deal with.

Regards
Khalid

Rodne Gold
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Keith , Yeh , you do lose engraving speed vs the very fast machines out there , 1/2 as slow for thruput than my GCC spirits (fast machines) and as fast as my old mercurys I had.
But for cutting where you at max power or near , then it's different. My 80w Chinese machine cuts 1.7x faster than my 37(measured) w Spirit on 3mm acrylic and that is most likely that i do not fire over 90% power on my glass tube as it shortens the life to run at high currents.
You will lose out big time if you want a chinese machine to vector cut at max speed and under 15% power - cos it wont fire at under 15% power. So for eg , cutting patterns out of thin paper might not be possible. There are always compromises you have to face with lesser priced machines especially if like 1/4th of the price :) There no free lunches...

I want to make it clear that I don't want to be seen to endorse Shenui , I and a few others have got good machinery, service and support from em and I visited their factory (see my thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?165815-Despatches-from-China
Someone else might have a different experience....

The price I paid is a year old , stuff has gone up . I got a special price as well due to the 2 machines I ordered and I pressurised em over Vincent De Klerk's pricing and he had already haggled it to death ..so if 10%+ more than mine , it's still good

John , don't stress , get your stuff first before predicting doom and gloom :) You will be up and running in a week max.
We have run our 2 lasers for 8 hrs a day From July to mid dec , no probrems cept for a bust cheapy 60w tube - operator error and a red ot pointer diode failure.
Time will tell re long term reliability , but you got spares, they cheap and after a week or 3 with the machine , you will realise just how simple it is to fix and diagnose hardware issues if you have any.

Eric Ucci
01-13-2012, 10:40 PM
An update for anyone who is interested....

So a few weeks have gone by since I last posted on this thread.
I ended up purchasing 2 machines.
SH-690 60w standard laser
SH-1490 150w reci

spare tubes & power supplies, stepper motors, driver boards, motherboard, lcd panel, belts, multiple imported lenses, cw5000 for both, etc.

lift table w honeycomb and slats for both.

through lens auto focus for both (mixed reviews but figured what the hell)

Roughly 12k for both and 2k for shipping

total cost 14k door to door

machines were packed up on 1/12 and shipped to port at Quindao. They'll ship out to NYC on 1/15. (turn out everyone takes off about 12 days for Chinese New Year so if it does leave now, there would be about a 2 week delay). I'm not in a big rush, but they seemed eager to move it out.

Its supposed to arrive in NYC around Feb 15. If there are no snags w customs, it should be on my doorstep 1 week later.

Since I am a visually oriented person, photos help me a lot. Beata, my contact at Shenhui has faithfully sent me photos throughout the build which I will post for you shortly.

Thank you all for your help. Especially Rodne and George. I would never have ventured to do this without your insight.

Eric

Eric Ucci
01-14-2012, 12:29 AM
one other thing I forgot in the specs....
I ordered both types of cylinder engraving jigs

see photos of build from 1/9219644219645219646219647219648219649219650219651

Eric Ucci
01-14-2012, 12:31 AM

Eric Ucci
01-14-2012, 12:34 AM

Eric Ucci
01-14-2012, 12:36 AM