PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Wall Tile

Lee Schierer
12-11-2011, 9:01 PM
LOML wants me to install a tile back splash in our kitchen before Christmas. We've picked out the tile and the way it will look on the walls. It was recommended that we use the new tile adhesive matting called Bondera. I have two basic questions:

1.Has anyone tried the Bondera adhesive tile matting to hang wall tiles? If so what were the results?

2. Any tips or tricks I should know for working with it?

Jim Rimmer
12-12-2011, 2:01 PM
Is this the stuff that comes in a roll and you put it on and then push the tile onto it? If so, check the This Old House site. Tom Silva did a backsplash a couple of weeks ago using what I poorly described.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-12-2011, 3:30 PM
Family Handyman magazine gave it two thumbs up for use, but it is a bit pricey.

Tim Boger
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
LOML wants me to install a tile back splash in our kitchen before Christmas. We've picked out the tile and the way it will look on the walls. It was recommended that we use the new tile adhesive matting called Bondera. I have two basic questions:

1.Has anyone tried the Bondera adhesive tile matting to hang wall tiles? If so what were the results?

2. Any tips or tricks I should know for working with it?

I've never used the product, as a retired Tile Setter I can't say I see the point of it.

The determining factor really would be the size of the tiles, if you're using small tiles on a sheet (net backing) then I would consider the product if your uncomfortable using a small notch trowel to spread the mastic neatly .... if the tiles are 6x6 or bigger you could put a dab of construction adhisive at each corner and a couple of dabs in the middle of each tile and stick it to the wall. I did 16x16 @ my back splash that way and have not had any issues yet.

Some of the larger tiles have bumps on the backs to allow for a particular depth of adhisive to be behind the tile, seems like the roll product would not be able to address that design spec.

Tim