PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Get Together

Nate Davey
12-11-2011, 6:26 PM
My good friend and fellow Creeker Rob Sitze wanted to try my McNaughton Center Saver to see if he wants to buy one or borrow mine and give my Trend Airshield Pro a shot. Our first blank was a 16" dry Silver Maple blank. Probably not the best for a first attempt. I've never heard wood crack just sitting there, but this one was. I finished a core out of it, them Rob took the big bowl off the lathe, dropped it and it came apart. Did get a good consistent core though. Then Rob chucked up a very wet blank of Sweet Gum and ran right through it. Rob sent me home with two nice Sweet Gum blanks and decided just to borrow my McN if he needed it. Great day of turning.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2011, 6:38 PM
Well - kinda strange that the bowl blank would crack in half like that but better to have it happen while off the lathe!! Sure looks like you both had fun and that really is what it is all about!! Thanks for sharing!!

Scott T Smith
12-11-2011, 6:39 PM
My good friend and fellow Creeker Rob Sitze wanted to try my McNaughton Center Saver to see if he wants to buy one or borrow mine and give my Trend Airshield Pro a shot. Our first blank was a 16" dry Silver Maple blank. Probably not the best for a first attempt. I've never heard wood crack just sitting there, but this one was. I finished a core out of it, them Rob took the big bowl off the lathe, dropped it and it came apart. Did get a good consistent core though. Then Rob chucked up a very wet blank of Sweet Gum and ran right through it. Rob sent me home with two nice Sweet Gum blanks and decided just to borrow my McN if he needed it. Great day of turning.

Nate, it sounds like you and Rob had a great day, other than Mr. Fumblefingers fumble!

Bill Bolen
12-11-2011, 6:41 PM
Always fun to see photo's of creeker get-togethers! Sorry about the lost core but much better that it broke on the floor rather than flying apart while turning. Now that one really would have hurt!!

Nate Davey
12-11-2011, 6:50 PM
To be a little more clear, he dropped it on purpose, it wasn't a fumble.:rolleyes:

Steve, the crack ran almost down the center of the bowl, Ive not seen one crack like that either.

Joe Watson
12-11-2011, 7:52 PM
Nate; in the pic it looks like the can of WD40 is with-in arms reach, whatcha use it for ?

_

Jim Burr
12-11-2011, 7:55 PM
I like that lathe!!! Nice time for the both of you and just before Christmas!!

Nate Davey
12-11-2011, 8:00 PM
Joe, the WD-40 is sprayed on the rest to help this slide smoothly.

David E Keller
12-11-2011, 8:36 PM
Sounds like fun! I wish I was closer... I'd love to test drive the McNaughton!

David DeCristoforo
12-11-2011, 8:41 PM
That looks like one of my bowls except that it still has a bottom!

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2011, 8:48 PM
Creeker visits are always fun. Good thing it split on the floor and not on the lathe.

Rob Sitze
12-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I dropped it on purpose, it was headed for the firewood pile anyway due to large cracking issues. Nate, enjoyed the day, even though I don't think I'll be getting McNaughton any time soon. Maybe when ever I get that Robust.

Mike Cruz
12-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Great to see you both enjoyed each other's company. Love hearing about get togethers...