PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem

Bruce Koch
12-11-2011, 5:16 PM
I have a dell computer with XP on it with McAffee on it. I keep getting an error message that says real time scanning is off and I cannot turn it on and keep it on. I've done everything that was recommended on McAffee's site. Is this a virus or hardware problem? I've also got the so called death screen. Thanks

ray hampton
12-11-2011, 5:50 PM
I do not know the answer to your question BUT I am under the spell too

Lee Schierer
12-11-2011, 8:39 PM
I don't know the answer either, but it appears that there is lots of traffic out there on the problem. I did a Google search for "McAffee on it. I keep getting an error message that says real time scanning is off" and found lots of hits of people discussing the problem. There may be answer out there as it seems you are not alone.

Don Kondra
12-11-2011, 8:50 PM
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago.

The answer was to dump McAffee and download the free version of AVG :)

Cheers, Don

BTW - it took me the better part of half an hour to cancel my McAffee yearly automatic renewal by credit card Without my permission, sigh...

ray hampton
12-11-2011, 9:04 PM
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago.

The answer was to dump McAffee and download the free version of AVG :)

Cheers, Don

BTW - it took me the better part of half an hour to cancel my McAffee yearly automatic renewal by credit card Without my permission, sigh...

half of an hour,BOY but you are quick on the draw

Don Kondra
12-11-2011, 9:16 PM
LOL

Should have clarified that after years of using MacAffee it took me half an hour of jumping through hoops on their web site to cancel my subscription:)

Cheers, Don

Bruce Page
12-11-2011, 9:23 PM
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago.The answer was to dump McAffee and download the free version of AVG :)Cheers, Don BTW - it took me the better part of half an hour to cancel my McAffee yearly automatic renewal by credit card Without my permission, sigh...I did the same. McAffee turned into a huge resource hog.

Phil Thien
12-11-2011, 9:34 PM
Another free anti-virus product is Microsoft Security Essentials. I prefer it to AVG.

Leo Graywacz
12-11-2011, 9:50 PM
Go to http://malwarebytes.org and download Malwarebytes. Update it and run a full scan. Going to take a while.

If it finds anything let it fix it.

I find Avira is a good AV.

Greg Peterson
12-11-2011, 10:55 PM
+1 on the Malwarebytes. I would run it in safe mode just on the chance the nasties don't get loaded and can't hide themselves.

ray hampton
12-11-2011, 11:03 PM
LOL

Should have clarified that after years of using MacAffee it took me half an hour of jumping through hoops on their web site to cancel my subscription:)

Cheers, Don

it occur to me that MaAffee try to block us from removing their softwares

David G Baker
12-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Another vote for dumping McAffee. I used it for years and kept having problems with it so I dumped it. I tried the free anti-virus software but didn't like it that well so I started using the service provided by Charter, my Internet Service Provider. I have been using it for several months now and have yet to have any problem.

Bryan Morgan
12-14-2011, 7:11 PM
You might have a rootkit in there. Try running something like tdsskiller and see if it detects anything. Some of them will disable your AV programs.

Bruce Koch
12-17-2011, 6:18 PM
Bryan, you are the winner of of the correct solution. It took several tries but it did work. I had never even heard of a rootkit before. Thanks

paul cottingham
12-17-2011, 7:19 PM
Back when I still had my business, we called people who used mcafee and AVG "customers." Try avast.

Bryan Morgan
12-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Back when I still had my business, we called people who used mcafee and AVG "customers." Try avast.

I gave up on Avast after it failed to detect a couple viruses on my wifes computer. Now I just use the MS security essentials and run mbam and eset from time to time.

Bryan Morgan
12-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Bryan, you are the winner of of the correct solution. It took several tries but it did work. I had never even heard of a rootkit before. Thanks

They are becoming more and more prevalent these days. They load into the MBR or hardware drivers and are hard to detect by most AV software. Clever folks doing bad things these days. If you want some funny reading and another reason to hate Sony, read about the rootkit they put on their music CDs they sold to the public. :)