PDA

View Full Version : Tahiti!

Tyler Howell
03-08-2005, 9:19 PM
Ahoy Creekers, Finally got the camera out of quarantine and pulled up a couple pix to share. Went sailing for 10 days with 34 members of my sailing club. We had 4 cats ranging in size from 38 to 46ft. For the purist these are more party barges than sailing craft. I've been able to squeeze 10 nauts/per out of one a time or two which is very respectable for any sailboat.
This is my home, shop and transportation for ten days. I'm the systems guy. While on board I'm tasked with rigging, systems and supplying AC/ DC power for the sound system, computer, GPS, portable RADAR unit and blender we bring along all from a 12V battery. I already said party barge:o !!!
While anchored off Bora Bora, I heard the distinct sound of an angle grinder that went on all afternoon. When we came ashore for dinner I found a local craftsman had rough cut, mitered smoothed and shaped this table all with the angle grinder. You see before you. Sawing, shaping, sanding and dust extraction tools for this project.
Couple other finished projects. I would love to shop at his lumber yard:cool: . No one could tell me species of these two. Any help out there?
More to come.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2005, 9:39 PM
Tyler.....I guess this adds the title SMC International Ambassador to you "Photo Cop" title? Or......is it just a little ribbon on your Photo Cop uniform? Glad you had a good time. Welcome back!

Cecil Arnold
03-08-2005, 9:40 PM
Tyler, next time bring me back a couple hundred BF of that stuff. I'm sure we could find a good use for it. Looks like a great vacation--now start making sawdust.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Tyler,

Those are some wonderful pics! Sounds like you had a great time!

Bruce Page
03-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Now that's livin' large! :cool: :eek: :cool:

Beautiful wood - whatever species!

Welcome back to reality.:p

Karl Laustrup
03-09-2005, 9:04 AM
You left all that to come back to Minneapolis? ;)

After seeing what can be done with just a grinder, I'll soon get rid of all my other tools and purchase a grinder. ;) :D

Doug Shepard
03-09-2005, 9:09 AM
You did give that grinder guru the SMC URL and tell him to join up didn't you??

John Shuk
03-10-2005, 9:40 PM
I'd say the wood looks like....Real nice stuff! Amazing all the things we HAVE to have for wwking.

Dave Richards
03-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey Tyler, did you happen to see either "Tu Moana" or her twin "Ti'a Moana" while you were in the Bora Bora area? My father was aboard "Tu Moana" for her first cruise last year. "Ti'a Moana" was still fitting out. Sounds like a sweet luxury cruise.

Michael Stafford
03-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Tyler where are the beautiful native island girl pictures? Are they in quarantine too? Glad you had a good time and got home safely.

Kent Parker
03-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Beautiful circular slab. I wonder how they sliced it?

Glad you had a good time. :D I had the good forture of sailing a 36' wood Herreshoff ketch to Tahiti, Bora Bora and many other islands in the area. About 8 months of sailing. The locals in Bora Bora were very compassionate, giving folks. I helped chopped down a bread fruit tree of massive proportions and was given a "gift" of a hand carved, one piece ukulele complete with goat skin sound board. Thirty years later it still smells like a goat.

Cheers,

KP