PDA

View Full Version : Candlesticks and a Drill...

Wally Dickerman
12-11-2011, 3:05 PM
A pair of walnut candlesticks about 9 inches tall. I used to turn and sell a lot of candlesticks but not any more. I made the drill from a spade bit over 25 years ago and it still works fine. I never grind it, just hone it with a diamond hone. I do the turning after the blank is drilled, using a cone on the live center.

When turning candlesticks, the first one is easy. Copying, for the second is not so easy.

C and C welcome

dan carter
12-11-2011, 3:14 PM
Better be careful, you may be telling your age. heh heh I'm sure we still have a set or two of candlesticks older than many on this list. Candlesticks used to be very popular. This set will prove to be popular as well. Job well done.

John Keeton
12-11-2011, 3:40 PM
Wally, can't let Ms. Keeton see these!! She has been asking for candlesticks for some time. Very nice, and being walnut sure makes them special - love walnut!!!

Wally Dickerman
12-11-2011, 3:41 PM
Better be careful, you may be telling your age. heh heh I'm sure we still have a set or two of candlesticks older than many on this list. Candlesticks used to be very popular. This set will prove to be popular as well. Job well done.
Heck, my age is no secret. At age 90 I'm happy to still have steady hands and good eyesight, both very helpful when turning. I'm not able to stand at the lathe for long periods like I used to....that's okay, I have a swivel chair in my shop so that I can sit and contemplate.

Gary Max
12-11-2011, 4:00 PM
Them is sure a nice looking pair---heck I hope I am still able to turn if I reach 90-----congrats.

Jay Rasmussen
12-11-2011, 5:39 PM
Nice work Wally, I like the shape!

sam upton
12-11-2011, 5:49 PM
Wally, those are super.
You sure don't look 90, Your avatar must be 30 something.

David DeCristoforo
12-11-2011, 5:58 PM
One of the best things about spade bits... easy to regrind for special use! The candlesticks are great. I always tell myself that things like this are better if they are not exactly the same so that each one has it's own personality. But to be honest, I think tell myself that because I can never make two of anything exactly the same! And don't believe these guys... you totally look 90! You should be proud to be going strong at 90. I will be if I manage to last that long! My FIL is 92 and he still kicks butt...

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2011, 5:59 PM
Wally - when I first started turning, I turned a bunch of candle holders. Absolutely nothing like the beautiful - matched - pair that you have here but I remember just how much fun they were to turn! I think that would be a great intro to turning for my wife Colleen! We burn a lot of candles but I have always liked the tapers best! Thanks for sharing and I will have to grind a spade bit like the one you did! Any dimensions come to mind?? It is a great idea!

Richard Allen
12-11-2011, 6:58 PM
Nice looking candle sticks.

I used to teach an "Intro to the Lathe" class at Woodcraft. I taught over 250 people during those years. The project they all learned on was a candle stick. They only made one candle stick so there was no need to match a pair. The students were shown a "master" candle stick to use as a model. The model was un-sanded and beat pretty bad. One of the promises for the class was that everyone in the class would make a candle stick that looked better than the model (sanding and finishing made candle sticks look great).

I have a fondness and a dread of candle sticks. Fondness because of that time teaching woodturning. Dread because of so many candle sticks.

I still think candle sticks are a great project to learn basic woodturning.

Jamie Donaldson
12-11-2011, 8:00 PM
Wally- that looks like a tool that used to live in a shop on Poverty Ridge, except the point was shorter!

Jim Burr
12-11-2011, 8:05 PM
Wally, you are an amazing man who without a doubt has been blessed with longevity, clarity of mind and steadiness of hand. A day working with you would no doubt be a lifetime of education!
The sticks are beautiful and your knowledge and willingness to share a treasure!

Pete Jordan
12-11-2011, 8:30 PM
Very nice Wally!

I always enjoy your work!

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2011, 8:52 PM
Wally those are a really nice pair. Always enjoy seeing your turnings Wally.

Wally Dickerman
12-11-2011, 9:19 PM
Wally- that looks like a tool that used to live in a shop on Poverty Ridge, except the point was shorter!

Jamie, Once when Rude was visiting, we spent a little time in my shop and he did some turning on my lathe (At that time a General just like his). Rude actually used this drill. To me that puts some value on it.

Jamie Donaldson
12-11-2011, 10:23 PM
215504215505Wally- I also value some of the "relics" from my times with Rude, including one of his wicked HSS "spindle skews" that I am not inclined to use, it's too scary! I used to have him pay me in wood when I helped, and have a big chunk of pink ivory log that he gave me. I will most likely never turn it because of it's sentimental value, and it will continue hiding under my old General. I just wish I had a recording of his story that came with it, even if some of it were true!;):D:o