PDA

View Full Version : Side Project

Liesl Dexheimer
12-11-2011, 2:19 PM
Thought I would just post my side project that I finally finished completing this morning...

After 3 yrs of meaning to do this, I finally took the time to create my own custom computer case.

I built this computer in the summer of 2008 (this is my 2nd computer build) and wanted a more "girly" looking case. I found one case with a purple floral pattern on it but the problem was it was made for a mini-ATX motherboard so I ended up buying this case instead. I used to like looking inside my computer but I kinda got bored with it, especially since I never bothered to organize the wires, just looked like a mess. This design at least looks a little cleaner & more visually appealing now. http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/w/wink.gif

Process used: Spray painted the reverse side (inside) of the acrylic piece with Krylon Premium Sterling Silver paint. Then I masked off that side with transfer tape & laser engraved the pattern. Engraving time took approx 90 min because I engraved it 3 times (I had to cut through the paint). I kept the mask on & painted the flowers with pink & purple nail polish. Then I took the mask off, assembled everything back together and voila!

Computer specs (keep in mind, this computer is 3 yrs old): Intel Quad Core Q6700 2.66 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Win XP, ASUS 512 MB video card, 2 500 GB Hard Drives, ASUS 24" LCD monitor

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-11-2011, 2:39 PM
GREAT description of what you did and the end results look fantastic Liesl. So the next question is ... did you use sparkly nail polish or dull to achieve the "girly" results you wanted. LOL

As for the computer specs, they look pretty good to me. (keep in mind, my computer is at least 6 yrs old) :D

Liesl Dexheimer
12-11-2011, 3:49 PM
Haha! Good question, guilty as charged. I did use some nail polish with glitter in it (the purple flowers actually have some glitter in it but it's hard to see)...muahaha! :)

Dee Gallo
12-11-2011, 4:38 PM
This design at least looks a little cleaner & more visually appealing now. http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/w/wink.gif

I'll say it looks more appealing! Great design and neatly executed, Liesl.

cheers, dee

Liesl Dexheimer
12-11-2011, 6:11 PM
Thanks Dee! Also forgot to mention, I had to take the front panel off of the laser because the acrylic piece is about 14" high. That's the first time I've taken the front panel off to engrave something larger than the 12x24 I'm used to.

Dee Gallo
12-11-2011, 7:37 PM
I've never done that, everything I do is small... but I'd be chicken to do it anyway. hahaha. Oh - is that plexi pretty flexible or does it just look curved?

Mike Null
12-12-2011, 5:33 AM
Nail polish!----Nail polish! What's this world coming to. Only a girl would do that.

Otherwise very nice work--but I've seen some of your design work so I know that you're more talented than most of us.

Liesl Dexheimer
12-12-2011, 8:23 AM
Haha! Yeah I had some acrylic paint that I could've used but I like the nail polish effect better. It's a little more shiny and vibrant than regular acrylic paint. I wouldn't say I'm any more talented than you guys. I've seen some amazing stuff here! :)

Oh and Dee, the acrylic is not curved. It does have a slight bevel on the sides so it fits into the steel case nicely but other than that it's flat.