PDA

View Full Version : Finned Mini Vase

Scott Hackler
12-11-2011, 2:14 PM
Here is a little dude I finally got completed. This is a Christmas present for a very deserving person and my way of rewarding a good person. It is also a surprise present, as the person has no idea it's coming. So, a bit of Osage Orange and a conciderable amount of carving and piercing and this is what I came up with. Stands 4" tall and about 2" wide at the base and is a bit over 1/16" thin at the walls. Finished with Tung Oil and Ren wax.

Comments and constructive critiques are requested. Thanks for looking, HO HO HO!

Jerry Marcantel
12-11-2011, 2:30 PM
Great job, Scott. Ya think it's thin enough???? Wow, a 1/16"..... A 1/4" is my goal.. Jerry (in Tucson)

Richard Kennedy UK
12-11-2011, 2:33 PM
N I C E ! like the shape like the holes you are a talented guy lovely work I imagine its going to be really appreciated and if it ain't You can send it to me!

Jim Burr
12-11-2011, 2:42 PM
Y'all have me beat...I'm lucky to get 1/2" walls on anything! Nice Job Scott...your patience really comes out on this piece!

John Spitters
12-11-2011, 2:47 PM
Very nice job Scott, I like this piece.

May I ask ... What tool are you using for the piercing ?

John

John Keeton
12-11-2011, 3:04 PM
Very clean work, Scott!! I bet this piece is feather light! Great job on the piercing - very pleasant to look at.

dan carter
12-11-2011, 3:15 PM
You almost have to look twice to see if it is wood. Very well done.

Dennis Ford
12-11-2011, 4:12 PM
That is awesome!

David E Keller
12-11-2011, 4:36 PM
Very cool! It's a lot like the cricket cage you brought to SWAT... Another killer piece of yours!

Jonathan Smith
12-11-2011, 5:33 PM
That is fantastic!

How did you wax it without getting wax in the holes?

Hayes Rutherford
12-11-2011, 5:38 PM
Very unique and well done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2011, 6:03 PM
Very cool design Scott! Whoever receives this gift is going to love it!! Very nice work!

Rob Cunningham
12-11-2011, 6:11 PM
A fantastic piece Scott and a great gift. You have way more patience then I do.

Curt Fuller
12-11-2011, 7:22 PM
Scott, have you ever noticed how the piercing pattern looks like the skin along the back of a brook trout? That's really neat.

Ed Morgano
12-11-2011, 7:27 PM
Another great piece Scott. Your work is awesome.

Scott Hackler
12-11-2011, 7:42 PM
Thanks for the comments. The tool I use to pierce is a NSK Presto ultra high speed carver, which works easier with thinner walls. When applying the Ren wax I rubbed the paper towel around in the wax and then smoothed it around on the towel with my finger before I rubbed into the piece. There was a little bit in a few holes but a blast with the air hose fixed that!

Alan Trout
12-11-2011, 7:46 PM
Scott,

I really like the form and the piercing. The shape is different yet I really like it. No jeers from me well done.

Alan

Steve Vaughan
12-11-2011, 8:10 PM
Very cool and unique! Somebody is gonna love this thing in a serious way! Still working on getting your walls thin, huh? Keep that up and your pieces are gonna collapse under the weight!:D Really, really nice!

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2011, 8:55 PM
That is a unique piece Scott. I really like the piercing.

John M. Smith
12-11-2011, 9:12 PM
Great looking form. Excellent work on the piercing.

How often do you turn each week? You seem to post quite a few items each week. Keep them coming.

Jim Underwood
12-11-2011, 9:55 PM
I like it, I like it...

what is it?:D

I love the way this pierced work is framed by the margins. It's perfect and delicate...

Scott Hackler
12-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Great looking form. Excellent work on the piercing.

How often do you turn each week? You seem to post quite a few items each week. Keep them coming.

John, I have been spending a lot of time in the shop here lately. I have carpal tunnel surgery scheduled for Friday and have been hurrying to get done a few Christmas presents and a few other distraction pieces that I had already started and I wanted to get completed before the re-coop time.

Normally I don't turn but a couple times a week. There is just too much going on between work and our rental properties and family and other projects.

It has been nice to get a lot of lathe time, but I am getting wore out! A couple more icicles for ornaments and maybe a couple more smaller projects and I will be off the lathe for a while.

Thanks for the additional comments.

Scott Hackler
12-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I like it, I like it...

what is it?:D

I love the way this pierced work is framed by the margins. It's perfect and delicate...

Dunno? Thats why I titled it Finned Mini Vase! I guess it is art because it serves no real purpose but to hold and look at! :) Thanks

Kathy Marshall
12-12-2011, 12:12 AM
That is a beautiful Finned Mini Vase Scott! Really nice job on the piercing and the shape is cool. Sorry, I don't have any nits to pick, constructive or otherwise :D. Someone is in for a nice surprise!

There was a little bit in a few holes but a blast with the air hose fixed that!
I'd be a little worried that the blast would blow it apart! :eek:

Bill White
12-12-2011, 3:21 PM
And my address is........
How about a pic or five about the piercing. That really looks great, and I would like to see the process.
What kind of bit did ya use. I have a die grinder that might be able to do that (if I was good enough).
Good luck on the carpal fix. We don't want any pics on that.
Bill

Eric Holmquist
12-12-2011, 4:52 PM
Excellent design, I like the effect created by the un-pierced band near the bottom that matches width of the rim. The only thing I'm not sure of is the more 1:1 ratio of things rather then something closer to 1:2, but given the hood effect you were working on, you may not have had much choice, I am struggling to visualize what it would look like with the narrow point a bit higher or lower.

steven carter
12-12-2011, 5:47 PM
Very nice, great job on the piercing, not sure wher the "fins" come in, but don't know what I would call it that works any better. I know it's utilitarian, but I think it would be very nice to hold the pens, mechanical pencils, erasers, markers etc on my desk ()just in case you don't know what to do with it ;)

Scott Hackler
12-12-2011, 6:37 PM
Thanks, all. This has been shipped out to the surprise recipient and hopefully they will get it on Thursday. Now....back to finishing Christmas ornaments and a few more gifts. (insert cracking whip sound here)

David Reed
12-12-2011, 6:43 PM
Wow - a very unique and terrific shape but the piercing is over top. Spectacular uniformity in the thickness of the remaining webs. Just love this one.

Baxter Smith
12-12-2011, 6:50 PM
Neat design Scott. The crickets definitely wont stay in this one!

Scott Hackler
12-12-2011, 6:53 PM
lol, Baxter it's funny you should mention that. I initially cut off a piece of this blank for a lid and was going to turn a slight "lip" inside to sit a lid onto, but someone got preoccupied with thinning and forgot about the "lip"! So, this piece of hedge really wanted to be in this shape instead! :)