PDA

View Full Version : Ring Size template

George M. Perzel
12-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Guys;
Anyone ever run across a ring size template in vector format? want to make one out of plexi.
Thanks
george

Glen Monaghan
12-11-2011, 2:03 PM
No template, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_size shows the measurements (inside diameter and circumference) of sizes for US and several other countries, so you can easily create your own template. You'd have to tweak it anyway, to account for your laser's kerf...

-Glen

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-11-2011, 2:27 PM
Never tested to see if this is accurate, but at least it gives you a starting point. Here it is in Corel Draw Version 9 format.

Bruce Boone
12-11-2011, 9:58 PM
Ring size is pretty sensitive, and there are lots of "standards" out there. A quarter size is usually around .007" difference in diameter. I'd use a chart and measure your final inside diameters with calipers and adjust the scale factor if necessary.

Rodne Gold
12-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Not sure a lasered solution is the answer , the traditional tapered measure stick and a bunch of THIN metal rings is the way to go , you actually slip the ring over a finger , see what fits and than measure it on the tapered stick.

Bruce Boone
12-12-2011, 8:49 AM
It does depend on the width of the final ring. The thin sizers won't feel quite the same as a wider one. A wider one will feel a little more constricting on a finger even though the internal diameter is the same. Try to match the width of the final ring to get the feel right. The metal sizers are definitely more accurate than the plastic ones, which can be off by several thousandth of an inch simply due to plastic flow issues. The internal ring finish will have some effect on the feel as well. One that's well polished will slip on easier than one with a less polished finish. Although jewelers do use those tapered rods, there's a lot of variability possible when they are used; different people read them differently (does the line center the ring, is it at at the edge, or is it only a few mm from the edge, what about a wide ring, etc) It doesn't take into account internal radii very well, and there's manufacturing tolerances all added together. It's very easy to be off half a US size or more with those. A good fit is when the ring goes on easily and it takes a little effort, like a quarter twist to get it off. Also, keep in mind that fingers will swell and shrink about a quarter size or more with differences in temperature, so a ring that fits well in winter might be tight in summer.

One of the better ways to get a finger sized accurately is to go to a mall and find a cheap silver ring that fits well. Measure the ID with calipers and use a sizing chart. Silver squashes out of round easily, so it's best to take several measurements and average them.

Rodne Gold
12-12-2011, 9:53 AM
My Co, when I started , was also a jewellery shop. The worst job (apart from pulling earrings outa infected earlobes and trying to change a watch battery where the back/strap was gummed up with sweat and dead skin) was cutting off rings off peoples fingers. The limit was when a local hospital called me to bring my ring cutter round for an emergency proceedure. Some guy had slipped a metal ring of some sort over his watchamacallit and the constriction when it swelled wouldnt allow it to subsite (priapism) and he had been walking round for 24 hrs like that.
Needless to say , not willing to do this one myself , I gave the nurse instructions on how to use the cutter.......some serious cries of agony too..rivaled the labour ward's...

paul mott
12-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Excellent Rodney :D

Paul.

George M. Perzel
12-12-2011, 3:19 PM
Jeez Rodne!!!

George

Joe De Medeiros
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
My Co, when I started , was also a jewellery shop. The worst job (apart from pulling earrings outa infected earlobes and trying to change a watch battery where the back/strap was gummed up with sweat and dead skin) was cutting off rings off peoples fingers. The limit was when a local hospital called me to bring my ring cutter round for an emergency proceedure. Some guy had slipped a metal ring of some sort over his watchamacallit and the constriction when it swelled wouldnt allow it to subsite (priapism) and he had been walking round for 24 hrs like that.Needless to say , not willing to do this one myself , I gave the nurse instructions on how to use the cutter.......some serious cries of agony too..rivaled the labour ward's...I hope the hospital charged him a handling charge ;)

Dan Hintz
12-14-2011, 6:33 AM
It does depend on the width of the final ring. The thin sizers won't feel quite the same as a wider one.
I'll second this... when I had my finger sized, the first guy used the women's set because it was handy. Those rings are much thinner than the men's set, so when I sent my desired size to Bruce for my wedding ring, he did exactly as I asked. Come the wedding day, I realized that puppy was not coming off as easily as it should have, not to mention it was a bit snug for my taste. So Bruce had to retrim it a half size.

I hope the hospital charged him a handling charge ;)
Yes, but did everything have a happy ending? :p