PDA

View Full Version : Trying out a new idea

Richard Kennedy UK
12-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Evening everyone (well it is here in the UK) Do you ever get the urge to try something different, something new that maybe has been rattling about in the darker corners of your mind? Well this is one of my more obscure ideas Its something I have never tried before based of a heap of things I have seen from funky architecture to micro organisms (I look at lots of things) I think it works (that is to say I quite like it) but would appreciate the input of others I posted this on FB which was fine and the UK forum woodworkers institute - mixed views however I am of the firm belief that the US and well most of the world have sometimes a more open mind to new ideas so I thought I would ask you sage lot! Its a piece of Lime about 8inches across. I turned the bowl about 1/2 inch thick then attacked it with the saburr and typhoon burrs wow do they shift wood! Tidied that up with the fine kutzall burr and then I spent a week decorating it with the pyro pen and a new skew tip which was great to use. The discovery of tips as opposed to bent wire has been a revelation! Anyway if you could chip in with your thoughts I would appreciate it! Thanks for looking

Scott Hackler
12-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Very nice Richard. Geez, get a Foredom and you really start removing the wood! The angles of the design really compliment the voids. I am really drawn toward the "out of the box" turnings and this is just that. Very neat and something you should continue to pursue.

Curt Fuller
12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Totally Molecular!;) My first thought was of those chemical diagrams they used to show us in school while I was trying to sleep.
What I really like about this type of cut away work is the shadow it casts when photographed. I would image you could spend hours shifting the light and camera angle and come up with endless patterns. It's very artsy and an interesting shift from the standard bowl. I really enjoy seeing your work.

Dick Wilson
12-11-2011, 2:13 PM
Richard, I really smile when look at this piece. I guess I am not an impartial person to comment seeing as how I am piercing the snot out of a disc at present:D:D. I have always been a big fan of your pierced work. This piece is no exception, even though you used a sabre saw:eek:. I like the burning. It's is nice to NOT have to use a magnifier to hunt for sanding scratches once in a while isn't it??? Overall, I would say it is different from anything I have seen and your are on to something. It will be interesting to see where this leads you. Great piece. Cheers

Jim Burr
12-11-2011, 2:50 PM
Richard, I really smile when look at this piece. I guess I am not an impartial person to comment seeing as how I am piercing the snot out of a disc at present:D
How'd you get the snot in the disc Dick?:eek:;) I still have no eye for art in turning Richard, but this is a lot of fun to look at! The pyro and carving work is really cool...almost a snowflake!

Richard Kennedy UK
12-11-2011, 3:59 PM
Thanks guys for your responses Its amazing to see the differences between the views here on SMC and in other places I will be developing this idea further as I think it has legs its a bit different and whilst there is a lot of carving and off lathe work involved I couldn't do this without the lathe. Thanks again for your responses so far!

John Keeton
12-11-2011, 5:03 PM
Richard, I like the form and technique, but the angles in this piece cry out for a metalized finish. I don't care for the natural wood, though it is obscured by the pyro work. Otherwise, I think it has a lot of possibilities. Just my thoughts.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2011, 6:30 PM
Richard - my only complaint at this point is the size of the photo! Some of us are getting to that time of life where we appreciate not having to squint!! You are allowed to post a 1024 pixel photo with a max file size of 107 KB.... just to let you know.

This latest piece has a very organic feel to it. Even with the geometric angles it still feels natural. Part of that is the result of your pyro work which adds texture and dimension to the piece. I find that this piece reminds me of a honeycomb and at the same time has elements of coral to it. Pretty interesting form... and I look forward to seeing where you take it! Nice work!!

Allan Ferguson
12-11-2011, 6:36 PM
I like the shadow it casts better than the bowl. You have certainly put in a lot of thought and work into this piece. Definitely not mainstream.

Richard Kennedy UK
12-11-2011, 7:50 PM
Here is a larger different view

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2011, 7:53 PM
All the difference in the world!! Thanks Richard... beautiful work!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2011, 9:01 PM
Beautiful piece and work Richard.

Ronald Campbell
12-12-2011, 9:23 AM
The larger photo makes all the difference. You can now see the art in the piece. Nice piece! Will continue to watch and see where this takes you.
Ron

Baxter Smith
12-12-2011, 7:26 PM
I really like the changed lighting. As soon as I looked at the first picture I was thinking "that reminds me of......"then it took me another minute to figure out what that was. Honeycomb or a wasps nest. One side too few actually but that was my first thought. Pretty neat!

Richard Kennedy UK
12-13-2011, 6:52 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments It a relief to see that the general feeling is positive I spent a week gripping that pyro pen and I would have hated to think it was a waste of time!!!!!!! Thanks Steve for reminding me about the photo too its all to easy to upload a photo that maybe doesnt work quite as well as another or is too small to see detail Using these forums its an important part of the process and I guess it doesnt pay to rush! Great help I thank you all!!!