PDA

View Full Version : Do you use escutcheons?

Amanda Brimm
12-10-2011, 11:13 PM
I've been looking through a Lee Valley catalog and love the escutcheons. Problem is I'm not quite sure how to use them. Do you always use a lock and key when using them, or has anyone used them purely for decoration?

What are your thoughts? Pictures of course appreciated!

Thanks!

Don Morris
12-11-2011, 1:32 AM
Amanda

I can see why you would use them without a lock and key, and almost always use them with. Sometimes the wood around the key entry is molded and there is no need for additional decorative treatment. My wife sometimes has altered the size, style of the currrent escutcheon unless it was an antique. That might have destroyed the originality and thus value of it. Certainly, an escutcheon can be just a decoration. LOML has some design background and people with that type of background seem to come up with those ideas to add something like an escutcheon as a decorative item. When she does, I always compliment her on her artistic sense.

Amanda Brimm
12-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks Don - I'd love to see pictures of her stuff if there's any posted.

Van Huskey
12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't use them at all since they don't fit my aesthetic. I have not seen them used in custom furniture as mere decoration BUT I am sure someone has. I do see them quite often on mid-priced production furniture which is making an attempt at looking period. One could drill/rout out behind them to give the appearance of a lock...

Frank Drew
12-12-2011, 1:00 PM
I made some oval/elliptical escutcheons out of both ivory (old piano key scales) and boxwood, but only for real keyholes; I found ivory, in particular, too much of a p.i.a. to work to make them just for decoration.

Jim Holman
12-12-2011, 6:45 PM
I have used escutcheons as back plates for drawer or cabinet knobs. The knob fastener goes through the keyhole.

Amanda Brimm
12-12-2011, 7:44 PM
Hmm, ok - well, it sounds like usually you'd just go ahead and put the full lock and key. Thanks for your input guys! I'll have to give this a try sometime.