PDA

View Full Version : 6 foot level recommendations

Bill ThompsonNM
12-10-2011, 4:48 PM
I need a longer level than my 48 inch, I'm thinking 6 feet since I keep installing old doors a smidge too small for the usual door hangers level and I can't afford both. Anyone have any recommendations? In my experience the better levels are much more drop resistant so I'm willing to spend more for quality. Thanks. . .

ray hampton
12-10-2011, 6:02 PM
I need a longer level than my 48 inch, I'm thinking 6 feet since I keep installing old doors a smidge too small for the usual door hangers level and I can't afford both. Anyone have any recommendations? In my experience the better levels are much more drop resistant so I'm willing to spend more for quality. Thanks. . .

MORE DROP RESISTANT, do they come with wings

Tom Ewell
12-10-2011, 6:20 PM
Hard to go wrong with the Stabila 196 , many sizes and accurate.

Larry Edgerton
12-10-2011, 7:12 PM
I was skeptical of Stabila levels, so kept using my wood ones for years until the local hardware had a Stabila Jamber set on sale for $120. Its been ten years and I use them constantly now, and the wood levels are looking good hanging on the wall. I have stepped on them, dropped them off schaffold, drilled holes in the long one to use as a saw guide and on and on. They are both still right on the money in every way. Amazing quality and toughness.

My only gripe would be that I think they should paint them with something that is less slippery. That is where the wood levels have them, easier to hold on a vertical surface while you adjust something.

You could cut a Stabila, its just an aluminum extrusion if need be. The Jamber set is a little less than 6"8", but I am not sure how much. Trim a little off each end and you are in business.

Larry

Bill ThompsonNM
12-10-2011, 9:07 PM
Thanks Larry, I'll go look at one, I noticed the jamber sets are about the same price as the single 6 foot level.

Bruce Wrenn
12-10-2011, 9:15 PM
Why not use a piece of 3/4" plywood and attach a level to it? Taper the two ends and cut out a couple of hand holds. If you want to go fancy, add hardwood edge banding.

Jim Foster
12-10-2011, 9:35 PM
+1 Stabila!

Ronald Blue
12-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I have a 6' Empire aluminum that I use in my job. It has done well for what I need. Verifying that the machines I believe I got it at Home Depot and don't think you could go wrong with it.