PDA

View Full Version : heating my shop

Dennis Taylor
12-10-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a forced air propane heater, old, with a 50lb tank, as with most propane heaters it does not have a thermostat to control temp during usage, I looked at local Lowes today and they have a nice one for 199.99 that is Kerosene with therm to heat about 1700 sq. ft, I have a single car garage, any comments on the usage of kerosene in a work shop? I understand there is odor from the buying of the kerosene, but have seen odorless kerosene. Any inputs to help make a decision is appreciated. thanks Dennis

Dave Ogren
12-10-2011, 1:14 PM
I would not use a kerosene heater in such a small space unless you have a lot of ventilation or a window or door open. I had a friend who did that and he always smelled of kerosene, died before the age of 40. But that was 30 years ago maybe they are better now, but exhaust is exhaust and it has to go somewhere.
Good Luck,
Dave

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
12-10-2011, 4:08 PM
+ to Dave, nonvented heaters are a health risk. For the $200(actually one at $200/the other $150) you were thinking about, on CraigsList,I bought two different styles of a propane direct vent heaters, both are Empires with the blowers, and both 35,000 BTU. I use a 100lb tank with each, gets me thru the winter on the New Hampshire border. The direct vent, and the tanks made the legal issues with the town moot, I didn't want to have to bring in an inspector. I also didn't want to put in a chimney, either metal or brick/mortar. Direct vent gets you external air for combustion, so finishing won't cause a fire.
Don't forget the more important issue of insulation and tightening up the doorways and window cracks. I spent quite a bit of time thinking about heat, but to be honest, Karma in the end dictated what I would go with. I still keep an eye on CL for tools, materials, and a few years ago, heaters.

Michael Mills
12-10-2011, 5:43 PM
Jmho but I have a kero heater and would not do it again. Just too much trouble running for kero; and if you think gas is high check the kero.
If I were to do it again I would go with something like this. I am not recommending this one, just this type. They use very little energy and you can plug it into a wall timer (about $15) to come on a couple of hours before you go out to turn.
www.amazon.com/NewAir-Electric-Oil-filled-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B002ZBLJM0/ref=sr_1_19?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323556599&sr=1-19 (http://www.amazon.com/NewAir-Electric-Oil-filled-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B002ZBLJM0/ref=sr_1_19?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323556599&sr=1-19)

We do have a small on in a spare bedroom (which tends to stay colder) and it works fine.

Roger Chandler
12-10-2011, 8:45 PM
Kerosene also puts off moisture as a by product of the combustion [go figure!] That will cause moisture to condense on tools like the table saw and lathe ways...........rust will ensue in short order...:eek:...DAMHIKT!!! I still use it some, however, I have to make sure I keep my tool surfaces well protected with wax or Boeshield T9.

Kevin W Johnson
12-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Kerosene also puts off moisture as a by product of the combustion [go figure!] That will cause moisture to condense on tools like the table saw and lathe ways...........rust will ensue in short order...:eek:...DAMHIKT!!! I still use it some, however, I have to make sure I keep my tool surfaces well protected with wax or Boeshield T9.

I think some will say the same can happen with propane. However, I have never experienced this as I keep my shop to a minimum temp with an electric oil-filled radiator and boost temp with propane when needed. I don't think it's the kerosene or propane that casues this, but rather allowing the shop to become too cold. Then when heated, the cold contents and warmed air create a "dew point" at which condensation forms on all of those precious tools.

Troy Turner
12-11-2011, 8:34 AM
Dennis -

Can we pursuade you go to electric? Do you have a 220 out there? If so, I'd look at something like this http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/heating-cooling/heaters/electric/fahrenheat-5000-watt-unit-heater-fuh54

Search around though, when I got mine they had them on sale.

I just see too many problems with kersosene...smell, ventilation, availability (nothing like getting ready to work on a project, got your coffee in your hand, ready to go...and, yeah, no kerosene).

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
12-11-2011, 9:59 AM
Dennis, Looking at the other responses, I realize we should have asked where you live first. If you are in Florida, than electric is a great choice, and if you live in North Dakota, than you need a huge number of BTUs no matter what size your shop is. Also, as I have found, the further north you are, the more flexible you need to be on a "comfortable " work temp.

David Thompson 27577
12-11-2011, 1:37 PM
+1 on what Mike Mills said-- go with the electric, oil filled radiator. I have a shop that is the size of a one car garage (prox 385 Sq Ft). I originally bought two of the radiators, thinking that would be needed. Maybe it would have been, in my former home in Ohio. Here in the sandhills of NC, I rarely turn one on beyond its medium setting. The other isn't even plugged in, hasn't been sin a very long time.

Gary Curtis
12-12-2011, 3:32 PM
Ace Hardware stores sell a 14,000 BTu (4000 watts) 220v electric portable heater for about $130. Special order. Works great in my well-insulated 3-car garage. No ventilation problems and only a mild fire risk.

Ray Newman
12-12-2011, 7:25 PM
Besides information on your location, how well is the building insualted? Are any windows double pane?

If you think you want an electric heater, check what your electric rates are.

David Hostetler
12-13-2011, 10:18 AM
I use a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy heater to heat my 2 car, partially insulated garage workshop in coastal Texas. It will bring the shop up to the low 70s from freezing in about 20 minutes on high. I have been using the same #20 cylinder now for the last 4 years, so it is reasonably efficient, and honestly I don't get much of a chance to use it...

For extended periods when I want to maintain temp, not raise temp, I use an oil filled radiator. On low it keeps the shop in the mid 50s when outside temps are in the low 20s. However on high it will drive me to the poor house...

Don Nicholas
12-28-2011, 3:18 AM
I have a 24 x 40 shop well insulated.
I was able to get a used mobile home electric furnace from a local RV dealer for $25.
It requires 220 volt. Keeps the shop comfortable.

Bob Deroeck
12-28-2011, 8:39 AM
I recently went through this exercise and ended up installing a Hot Dawg direct vent heater using natural gas. Where I'm located in New England the relative cost of the four "fuel" options based on "net" BTU's using 80% efficiency for hydrocarbon fuels and 100% efficiency for electricity were: Natural gas = 100, Number 2 fuel oil = 200, propane = 300, electricity = 400. The high cost of propane and electricity justified the high cost of running a natural gas line underground to the detached workshop.

I concur that the key to a workable heating system is good insulation and sealing of all cracks. So far the nighttime lows have only gone down to the low 20's, and I'm finding the shop temperature dropping to the low 40's overnight with the heating system off. The heater warms it to a "workable" 55 F within 15 minutes.

Bob

David G Baker
12-28-2011, 6:15 PM
Bob D.
I keep my Hot Dawg 75K heater set at around 50-55 degrees during the cold months and turn it up to 65 when working in the building. This works well for me and costs me around $35 a month for natural gas. My 30x40x10 pole building is well insulated but if I work with wrenches they are so cold that they hurt my hands even though the shop has been in the 50's all of the time. If I kept it in the 40's I would have to pre-heat all my hand tools.

Ken Harris
01-01-2012, 8:15 PM
I did not check what state you are in but in mi. direct vent heaters cannot be used as only heat souce,the real danger being carbon monoxide poisoning.Also forced air furnaces need to have duct work that is hot and cold air returns,if not you run the risk of carbon monoxide,make sure this type of furnace is installed properly I have 28 years of hvac tech. knowledge with these comments.If your shop is insulated well a hot dawg heater that is suspended should serve your purpose.Another option is suspended radiant heating natural or propane if you have enough ceiling height,this type of heating works very well.

George wilmore
01-01-2012, 8:53 PM
My neighbor has a 75000 btu gas heater similar to the hot dawg and it works great. I am going to get one for next winter. I still need to finish insulating this year.