PDA

View Full Version : Sofa Table, done.

Steve Inniss
03-08-2005, 6:40 PM
This is one of those challenging projects – the challenge though was in finally settling on what to build and getting started, not so much on the project itself. I wanted to create something special for my brother and his new wife as a wedding gift. I am aware the protocol allows for up to 1 year from the wedding date. This is now over 2 1/2 years, but done.
Based on an article in FWW where the wood was QS white oak and the table had a steel stretcher. Using the design and with the …ahem, old-lyweds in mind, I envisioned the table made out of spalted maple that I had both bought from a sawmill, and milled and dried from our own property here. I thought it should be made with a wooden stretcher, steamed and bent in a jig.
It was a good project for me because I did a lot more of it by hand than usual. Also, since it is for family, I did the little bit extra here and there – double tenons, breadboard ends with haunched tenons, the curved stretcher etc.

I sure enjoyed taking what was a really sad looking selection of wood, and making something that someone really wants.
Thanks, Steve

Ted Shrader
03-08-2005, 6:55 PM
Steve -

What a great present! I really like the stretcher design.

Finish?

Ted

Erin Stringer
03-08-2005, 7:04 PM
Looks great. I second the stretcher comment, they look great. The top looks great as well, excellent use of the wood. I'm sure the newlyweds will love it and it will remind them of their wedding day for a long time to come.

Doug Shepard
03-08-2005, 7:23 PM
Very nice. You can bet that table will be one of the first thing visitors to your brothers' place comment on.

Brent Smith
03-08-2005, 7:35 PM
Steve,
That's a beautiful piece.The strechers really define it.I hope you don't mind, I downloaded a pic to use as a reference to design something similar.
Brent

Jeff Sudmeier
03-08-2005, 8:00 PM
Steve,

That really looks great! The stretchers and the spalted wood really set the peice apart! I am sure the wait was worth it for them!

Lou Morrissette
03-08-2005, 9:03 PM
Steve,

What a great looking piece. You certainly wont ever see another one like it.

Lou

Roger Myers
03-08-2005, 9:09 PM
Steve, Certainly a piece that they will always treasure and well worth the wait. Very nice execution!!

Jim Becker
03-08-2005, 9:45 PM
Scrumptious!! That's definitely a winner, Steve...if they don't like it, send it to me!

Alan Turner
03-09-2005, 4:57 AM
Nice work Steve. HOw did you joing the stretcher at the center. Just glue it? Wedged loose tenon?

Bryan Nuss
03-09-2005, 5:46 AM
Beautiful job, Steve. The transformation from rough planks to georgeous table was very well executed. Nice work on the stretchers!

Mike Holbrook
03-09-2005, 5:53 AM
Very nice, great job!

Corey Hallagan
03-09-2005, 8:33 AM
Nice Work! That is a beauty of a table!

Corey

Karl Laustrup
03-09-2005, 8:50 AM
BEAUTIFUL! :) :)

The craftsmanship is excellent and the choice of wood....just makes this whole piece BEAUTIFUL!

How does your brother and SIL like it?

Dave Richards
03-09-2005, 9:11 AM
Very nice, Steve, very nice.

Steve Inniss
03-09-2005, 9:50 AM
Steve -

What a great present! I really like the stretcher design.

Finish?

Ted
Ted, it's BLO and turps, then semi poly @ 4 coats w/ ultra fine steel wool in between each. -Steve

Steve Inniss
03-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Thank you for the nice comments everyone. As you know, it's particularily enjoyable/valid to hear what your peers think - especially this group.

I was somewhat surprised by how well the breadboard ends fit when I first assembled it. They are pinned in the center and should allow for a lifetime of movement. Also the stretcher tenons, I was concerned that the cheeks would be gappy at the legs, so I made the jig such as to end the curve an inch or so before the curve.

A couple more production shots.

Steve Inniss
03-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Nice work Steve. HOw did you joing the stretcher at the center. Just glue it? Wedged loose tenon?
Alan,
When I first glued up the table, I hadn't decided what to do there. The legs are somewhat slender for a relatively heavy, wide expanse up top. Therefore, there was quite a bit of movement in the legs and stretcher-to-stretcher, any time the table was moved. I thought about all sorts of approaches but I did not want to distract from the design. I settled on a single maple pin, glued in and cut flush with the stretchers. I also had shaved a flat spot in the middle of the stretchers which provided some glue surface. -Steve

Steve Inniss
03-09-2005, 10:28 AM
BEAUTIFUL! :) :)

The craftsmanship is excellent and the choice of wood....just makes this whole piece BEAUTIFUL!

How does your brother and SIL like it?

Karl, They haven't seen it yet. My wife and youngest daughter will be delivering it in about 2 weeks. They live in Ottawa, about 5 hours from us. -Steve