PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Taper / Straight Line Jig

Harold Burrell
12-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Is this a good deal...or would I be better off making my own???

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21731

John Coloccia
12-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I've made my own. The Rockler one seems nice too. There are some things I don't like about the Rockler jig for how *I* use it. For example, on my jig the hold downs are fixed and the part is indexed based on two movable "stops". If you search SMC you'll find pictures of mine. What that lets me do is scribe a mark, line the mark up on the edge, and clamp it down with toggle clamps. Then I can move my stops into place and make repeatable cuts. On the Rockler jig, it looks like the clamp is also part of the "fence", so there's no way to clamp down and then set a stop. You almost have to measure it all out, and then set the jig. It's my preference to do it my way because of the nature of the work I do.

John T Barker
12-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Depends on your tools and you. I like the idea of shop made jigs if for no other reason than they familiarize you with the tool and increase your skills. They can be cheaper too, depending n what you use. One thing to consider, that goes along with what tools do you have, is would this be easier to simply do by hand? Typically I will draw the taper and bandsaw it followed by clean up with a handplane (some use the jointer...for speed I think.)

John

Cyrus Brewster 7
12-10-2011, 12:30 PM

Here is one I made - very similar to the Rockler jig (the fence and hold downs are from Rockler). The one thing I did not like about the Rockler one was that the width of the board is quite limited. I also did not put a miter gauge on mine. It rides the fence.

Unlike John, my clamps sit on the fence like Rockler's. It has work well so far.

Michael Peet
12-10-2011, 1:35 PM
Hi Harold,

I made one almost exactly like the Rockler model. Although it works, one thing I do not like about the design is that even moderate clamping pressure tends to lift the fence off the base. I think Cyrus's would address that shortcoming via the third knob in the middle, in addition to being wider.

Mike

johnny means
12-10-2011, 1:46 PM
I like to make my own. That way I can have dedicated setups. Of course, this only makes a difference if you repeat designs.

Rob Holcomb
12-10-2011, 2:43 PM
I ordered the Rockler Taper Jig and also the Incra 1000HD miter guage-Great price at $119. The Jig has a 4 star rating with 34 reviews so I hope it works good for my needs.

Chris Kennedy
12-10-2011, 3:03 PM
My dad bought me the Rockler jig as a present. I love it.

Chris

Tom Ewell
12-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Put one together using the plans supplied by

http://www.bobsplans.com/FreeJigPlans/TableSawJig/TableSawJig.htm

Versatile and the aux table surface on the cutoff side of the blade is a good safety measure.

Darrin Davis
12-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I wanted a tapering sled that I could adjust really fast to any cut so I made my own after looking at a few existing ones. Here's what i came up with. It's fast, extremely accurate and really easy to build and use. The only thing not shown is the wooden miter rail underneath. It's been posted here before, but here it is again. I have since made one about twice as long for longer legs.

Bob Wingard
12-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I built one based on Charles Neil's plans ... works like a charm and nearly free.

Jerome Hanby
12-12-2011, 8:44 AM
I think it's both. $60 is pretty cheap if you value your shop time at all. But, the shop time I enjoy most is the time spent making jigs and gadgets...

Don Wacker
12-12-2011, 1:38 PM
I hate jigs. My shop would be full of jigs if I made a jig for every task that required something special. They hang on the wall a warp so for the most part I dont even bother. For tapers I just grab a piece of ply out of the scrap pile and use a couple of pin nails to hold the stock onto the ply strip. When Im done it goes back in the scrap pile or burn pit.

Don

Will Blick
12-12-2011, 2:24 PM
Cyrus, great concept, love the size, more versatile...
Is there anything you would change if you built v2.0? thx for sharing pix

Cyrus Brewster 7
12-12-2011, 3:38 PM
Cyrus, great concept, love the size, more versatile...
Is there anything you would change if you built v2.0? thx for sharing pix

Will,

I have not needed to make it wider yet, but I would like to make it the full length of the fence - or a bit longer. When I do that I plan to keep the current board in case a longer one is too unwieldy to use all of the time.

Also, I remembered that I took the design from the Dubby jig, not the Rockler one. I liked the more rigid aluminum fence of the Dubby design.

Bill Huber
12-12-2011, 5:29 PM
I made mine in about 30 min. when I needed one. The big difference in mine and a lot that I see is I use the fence on the saw and not the slot. With this I can cut a straight edge on a very wide board, which is really nice when you have some ruff cut stuff.

215605 215606