PDA

View Full Version : Optivisor Questions

richard poitras
12-10-2011, 11:09 AM
These questions are for people that own an Optivisor made by the Donegan Company.

1. What lens Magnification are you using? Or find to be the most useful or do you have multiple lenses?

2. Do any of you have or have use the Quasar LS lighting system? It’s the one that uses the Led lights that surrounds the lens. And if so what kind of batteries does it use and how long do they last? And do you like it as far as lighting up the area properly?

3. Or are use using the single light system and how does that one work as well?

4. Also is anyone using the Optiloupe? If so what are your thoughts of that?

5. Also have you used a magnifying lamp instead (like the ones mounted to a bench) before and like using the visor better or vice versa?

6. Where did you purchase your visor in regards to the best price?

Thanks Richard

Dell Littlefield
12-10-2011, 1:26 PM
I have had my Optivisor for so long, the headband I replaced is worn and cracking. As I recall, I bought the 3 power. I also have the eight power loupe. I used it daily for 15 years as a clock restorer and often since retiring. I haven't tried a lighted one. The magnifying lamp idea didn't work for me at the bench and would be even less practical in woodworking. I like the portability and hands free advantage. Cheaper versions never worked for me and when I replace mine, it will be the same brand. I don't know where the best place to buy one is now.

Wes Grass
12-10-2011, 1:37 PM
I have 3 of them, all with a no 5 lens. 2-1/2x maybe? I find the focal distance of that one pretty good, even working at the lathe, although I wouldn't mind trying a longer one for setting up my milling machine.

I have the LED light on the one I use at home, and like it a lot. The single overhead light I took to work. It's not so great in terms of light output, and is sometimes pretty much useless if you're trying to see into a hole because it's so far off your line of sight.

I have the Optiloupe on my home unit as well. Comes in very handy, although you lose your stereo vision and have to get really close with it.

I've used a magnifying lamp so little I can't offer any useful opinion on them. I have thought about getting one for my desk at work though, as it would double as a lamp.

I probably bought these from Enco, McMaster, or wherever I found them cheapest when I needed one. I got the LED light from Micromark. Don't remember about the overhead light or Optiloupe.

Bruce Page
12-10-2011, 3:04 PM
Richard, I have both LP7 (2.75X) and LP10 (3.5X) lenses and the loop for my Optivisor. The LP7 lens & 2.5X loop work for 99% of my needs. I rarely need the LP10 lens.

About the only time I use my bench mounted magnifier is when I need to pull a splinter, or for a quick look at something. I use the Optivisor for everything else.

richard poitras
12-11-2011, 8:03 AM
Good info guys thanks ….
Wes can I ask you what size batteries does the Led lights use?

Richard

Scott Kuykendall
12-11-2011, 9:06 AM
I just ordered one from amazon for $27.00 with a #3 lens, I was going to just buy a new lens for the one I currently have but I found the one on amazon for just about the same price as just the lens plus I got free shipping. The lens you pick depends on the distance your work will be from you. The #3 lens has a focal length of 14 " my other set has a #7 lens which has a focal length of 6" which had my face to close to the work piece for what I am using it for.
Scott

Wes Grass
12-11-2011, 3:31 PM
2 AA's. It attaches with a velcro strap, and is much more secure than the overhead light. That has a belt hook feature that slides over the headband on the magnifier, and *had* a rubber strap to help secure it. Rubber bands help, but it stills slides around and is slightly annoying. And the wires flop around, although I think I finally got the clips to stay put with krazy glue.

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-11-2011, 7:53 PM
I deal with very small parts every day. I also have 3 Optivisors. All of them are #3 and all have the loupe. I have the the single light system, but I rarely use it. The battery pack hanging on the head band makes me feel top heavy. I have magnifying lamps all over the place. I can't live without them. I also have a multitude of other magnifiers of all sorts. All are useful at various times.

I mountain bike every weekend. I carry a pair of cheap reading magnifier glasses in my pack because if I have a break down on the trail, there's no way I can fix it if I can't see it.