PDA

View Full Version : Nova chuck issue

Joe McMahon
12-10-2011, 8:23 AM
I purchased a used Nova chuck ge. It appears in good shape and functions properly. It came with two inserts, one of which was installed. Of course the installed insert is the wrong one for my lathe. I attempted to remove the old insert and it won't budge. I used penetrating oil and left it overnight and still no joy.

Any ideas on how to remove it?

Alan Trout
12-10-2011, 8:30 AM
Did you remove the set screw? There is a set screw that has a fiber washer behind it to keep the insert from backing out.

Alan

John Keeton
12-10-2011, 8:31 AM
Joe, I assume you meant the G3. The insert can be a bear to get out - particularly if it has been in a while. I would try to grasp the insert in a vise, and using a wrench on the chuck, tap the wrench with a hammer, lightly, to see if the sudden taps wouldn't release the chuck. My second thought would be to soak it in Coke overnight - amazing what that can do! Makes on wonder why we drink the stuff?!:D

Hope you can get it loose.

John Keeton
12-10-2011, 8:32 AM
Just read Alan's post and forgot to mention that. Likewise, that fiber washer can get seated in the threads pretty good, too. I have had that happen - the Coke would relieve that problem, IMO.

Paul Heely
12-10-2011, 8:32 AM
Joe,
If it's the one you got from me then make sure you have removed the grub screw that locks the insert to the chuck body. The way I swapped them around was to hold the hex of the insert in my vise, use wood or soft jaws to prevent marring. Then I'd either use the key to turn the body off the insert, or lock the jaws down on a flat piece of wood and use that to turn the body.

Had I known, I would have swapped the insert before shipping it.

John Keeton
12-10-2011, 8:37 AM
You can use an oil filter wrench to grasp the chuck body, too.

Joe McMahon
12-10-2011, 8:48 AM
"Grub screw?", "Grub screw?" I don't got no stinking grub screw.......... DDDOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

After removing that pesky set screw, it came out 'real purdy'. I should rename this thread "Operator error issue" ;-}

(thanks guys)