PDA

View Full Version : Wood for turning

Donny Lawson
12-10-2011, 7:15 AM
I was just curious if any of the creekers out there (new members or older members) that does not have any wood or has a hard time finding wood to turn or maybe even that special piece?????? If so, post what your in need of and I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out.
Donny
Merry Christmas to all

Scott Hackler
12-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm always looking for a super large piece of Amboyna Burl if you find any. :)

That's a great gesture Donny. Hopefully anyone who turns isn't on "break" because they don't have access to a limb dump or forest.

Brian Brown
12-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Personally, I have an extreme need... of storage space that is. *Every nook and cranny is filled with wood. *Some of my stash is waiting it's turn for a nook or cranny. * My wife keeps saying "no more wood", then she sees a pretty piece at Woodcraft or CS or Gilmer, and like a homeless puppy, she brings it home to give it a good home. *So now I'm saying "no more wood"! **However, If some excellent curly maple, walnut burl, Buckeye burl, camphor burl, or amboyna burl comes to visit, I'll just kick out the old wood from it's nook or cranny, and let the visiting wood have it's space. * After all, that would be the hospitable thing to do.*:D

Jim Burr
12-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I need 6 to 8/4 x 15" curly maple, walnut or other fun wood. Checked our two lumber yards this morning...nuthin:(:mad:

Peter Blair
12-10-2011, 1:30 PM
It might help if we knew where Creekers are located. I often get offered way more than I can use.

Mike Cruz
12-10-2011, 6:59 PM
I wouldn't mind helping out...

Donny Lawson
12-10-2011, 8:09 PM
I have to say I helped a fellow woodworker out today and he drove about an hour away for some of my Box Elder. I had "a single piece" that I didn't need. With the help of my tractor,a 20ft log chain and some deep ruts in my yard we pushed,and shoved the 1000lb piece on his trailor. He was very happy and he brought me some pieces from his stash. He brought me a 4x4x3ft long piece of purpleheart, and some ebony,IPE, Canarywood. His only problem is finding someone to cut his piece up for him. I know my 20" sthil wouldn't help so he said he would find a tree service that will cut it into for him so he can handle it. Right now it will have to stay on his trailor. Once he gets it off he cannot get it back on there.

Scott Hackler
12-10-2011, 8:40 PM
WOW! Now that should have been photographed!

Mike Cruz
12-10-2011, 9:29 PM
What I am seeing in this thread are a lot of people offering to help, or telling stories about how they have helped/traded. I think the purpose of this thread (if I understand the OP correctly) is that this:

If anyone that turns needs some wood...ask and ye shall receive.

I as (and I think the OP and others) are perfectly happy to share wood for those that need it. Heck, I've sent a number of people wood. Really, if you are in need, say so. There is no shame in it. It doesn't mean anything othere than you don't have access to it. This stuff grows on trees, you know?

David E Keller
12-11-2011, 1:36 AM
I'd hit up Mike Cruz for some wood if you're in need... He just sent me some killer ambrosia maple! He says that I got "cutoffs", but they're fantastic... The 'good stuff' must be unbelievable!

David DeCristoforo
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
"...I'd hit up Mike Cruz for some wood..."

OK. I'm officially hitting up Mike for some wood. And Donny too. And anyone else that has "extra" wood too for that matter. I can use all the turning stock I can get. Especially woods that are not readily here in the central valley of CA. It might be a while before I am in a position to reciprocate since my family's resources are tied up in a business venture that is struggling to survive the current economic situation. So to anyone that wants to send me some nice turning stock, I would appreciate it more than I can say and I will be happy to pay shipping costs. There... how's that?

Ed Morgano
12-11-2011, 5:41 PM
I was just curious if any of the creekers out there (new members or older members) that does not have any wood or has a hard time finding wood to turn or maybe even that special piece?????? If so, post what your in need of and I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out.
Donny
Merry Christmas to all
Hi Donny,
Are you still giving away wood? My son and I might be up for a trip to your place if you are. He has a big trailer....can you fill it?

Nick Fournier
12-11-2011, 9:21 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, it's pretty tough for me to get wood in Austin, I just haven't found a reliable source that I can fit into my work schedule. Like David, I'd be more than willing to cover shipping.

brian watts
12-11-2011, 10:28 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, it's pretty tough for me to get wood in Austin, I just haven't found a reliable source that I can fit into my work schedule. Like David, I'd be more than willing to cover shipping.

hey NICK want any walnut?? if so P.M. the infor..

Luke Townsley
12-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I'd like to get my hands on a sycamore tree or other interesting wood. I can cut it up and haul it. I'm in Dugger, between Bloomington, Terre Haute, and Vincennes Indiana. There is a lot of nice wood around here, but I just moved and don't have a stash, yet.

alex grams
12-12-2011, 4:28 PM
Im going to hit up a couple of you kind people offering wood. I am in the same situation as Nick Fournier. Local stores don't carry much domestic wood for turning, and what they do have either looks like 8/4 lumber cut into circles, or Central/South American woods which they sell at a ridiculous premium.

Dan Hintz
12-12-2011, 6:40 PM
On our next meet, Mike C. and I will rummage through the wood pile and decide what can be easily transported to others. Ideally, this wood will go to those less fortunate than us, not just from a selection standpoint but from a no-wood-at-all viewpoint.

David DeCristoforo
12-12-2011, 6:42 PM
Maybe you guys should just go into business!

David Reed
12-12-2011, 6:48 PM
I have some BLM burl, starting to get just a bit punky in spots but is dry.
Wouldn't mind seeing what I could do to a piece of that mythical Claro Walnut.
trades available - western Washington

Lee Koepke
12-12-2011, 8:33 PM
Donnie,
I dont have any cherry .... and have had a couple of requests for cherry bowls .... not sure if I got anything to trade ....

Mike Cruz
12-12-2011, 8:40 PM
Thought about it David...

Donny Lawson
12-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi Donny,
Are you still giving away wood? My son and I might be up for a trip to your place if you are. He has a big trailer....can you fill it?

Ed, I have been giving away alot of wood lately(2 truck loads and one trailor load) in the last two weeks or so. The pile(s) are a little low and I'm trying to talk myself into not bringing much home. I turned down about 2 truck loads of sweet looking maple last week and a nice load of pecan. I hate to say it but 3 weeks ago i brought home 2 loads of nice pecan and there was some nice spalting in some of it and its all in my firewood pile. I can say it burns well, but I'm going to turn some of it. I may work on bringing home some after x-mas and start re-stocking my piles.

allen thunem
12-13-2011, 9:04 AM
i would love a chunk of cherry. nothing like that exists out here in colorado or even some box elder

Allen Howell
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
I would like a chunk of walnut, if anyone has some extra. It doesn't grow around here. Also some burls. I have seen a couple of trees with burls on them, but don't think the Park Rangers would appreciate me harvesting them. I have some Black Cherry to trade, if you want it. Thanks.

Nathan Hawkes
12-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Donny, I have a 42" bar fort my big saw if you need help. I'm over the mountain in charlottesville/crozet area. You coming to the christmas meeting of cvw ? Tonight in crimora.

Donny Lawson
12-13-2011, 5:49 PM
Well, I'm not out of wood yet, and I do have some of the wood requested but it will be after Christmas or maybe the 1st part of Jan. before I can get time to work on cutting a few pieces up. This is my busy time of year.I will send out some PM's when I get it cut up and ready for shipping. The wood I would like to have now and have never had any is Osage Orange. I know I have walnut,sycamore,aromatic cedar,and some Ambrosia maple.

brian watts
12-13-2011, 7:21 PM
DONNY just ask and you will get it. i have a small log with your name on it..

Well, I'm not out of wood yet, and I do have some of the wood requested but it will be after Christmas or maybe the 1st part of Jan. before I can get time to work on cutting a few pieces up. This is my busy time of year.I will send out some PM's when I get it cut up and ready for shipping. The wood I would like to have now and have never had any is Osage Orange. I know I have walnut,sycamore,aromatic cedar,and some Ambrosia maple.

Ken Hill
12-13-2011, 7:50 PM
Donnie, I will be in GA in March.....please message me near the end of February and I can bring you some wood.

Mike Cruz
12-13-2011, 9:05 PM
Am I missing something? I think Donny has plenty of wood. I think he is one of us who is shipping it out to those in need. I don't think he needs more... I could be all wet with this, but that's how I read it...

Ken Hill
12-13-2011, 9:35 PM
He was asking for osage from what I read....and I should..should (fingers crossed0 have a truck load here soon that will be way more then I can use LOL

Nathan Hawkes
12-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Donny, I just read your location. For some reason I thought you were a different Donny Lawson! We have a guy in the turning club of the same name. OOPS! My bad. That might be a little far for me to drive to help you cut up your logs, unless they are VERY special logs. :o

curtis rosche
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
anyone who want oak or cherry or poplar is free to cut what they want here

Mike Cruz
12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes, Ken, you are right. I forgot about him asking about OO. Sorry about that...

Dan Hintz
12-14-2011, 6:35 AM
We REALLY need to take a trip out to your place again, Ken... :p

Donny Lawson
12-14-2011, 6:39 AM
Yes, I do have access to all the wood I need except the osage orange. I do appreciate the offers for some of that and I will probally take you up on it soon. One more item I'm looking for is some (Choa catus) I think thats the spelling. I'm looking for some small enough to make pens with. I do have some wood to trade.

Ken Hill
12-14-2011, 7:29 AM
Dan, im hoping to load up on some stuff I cant get here. The oasage is from bear territory and they are burning it for firewood. I offered seasoned oak exchanged for osage and I think i have a few takers.....osage burns very well but the folks know im using it for other things so fingers crossed.

Donny, do you need osage for small items, that I do have

Bill Bulloch
12-14-2011, 8:34 AM
Ed, I have been giving away alot of wood lately(2 truck loads and one trailor load) in the last two weeks or so. The pile(s) are a little low and I'm trying to talk myself into not bringing much home. I turned down about 2 truck loads of sweet looking maple last week and a nice load of pecan.

I hope this is not the case. My turning friends and I, down here in Middle Georgia, have been enjoying that trailer load I got from you back in the Summer. In fact it is about gone. I was hoping to be able to come back for more in the Spring.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-14-2011, 4:19 PM
IF anyone can help, I'd love to join in, and ask for some wood... BUT I'm in the U.K., so unless you're here too, that's unlikely...
BUT, if anyone could spare pen blank sized bits, I'd be most grateful! I've just received 20 pen kits from Pen State, and have some 'native' British wood, and odd bits, I hear a lot about stuff you get in the USA, and never see it here...PM me if you'd consider sending some, please! (Oh, the pens are FREEDOM PENS by the way!). Many thanks for reading.

Mike Cruz
12-14-2011, 5:09 PM
Primvs, not sure what the shipping charges would be to the UK, also, don't know about shipping restrictions on wood overseas... If you find out that info and are willing to pay for the shipping, we might just be able to send you a care package. :)

curtis rosche
12-14-2011, 5:23 PM
Primvs, not sure what the shipping charges would be to the UK, also, don't know about shipping restrictions on wood overseas... If you find out that info and are willing to pay for the shipping, we might just be able to send you a care package. :)

+1 on that

Donny Lawson
12-14-2011, 6:52 PM
I hope this is not the case. My turning friends and I, down here in Middle Georgia, have been enjoying that trailer load I got from you back in the Summer. In fact it is about gone. I was hoping to be able to come back for more in the Spring.

Bill, I will probally be well stocked up by spring. I probally shouldn't have but I did bring home a truck load today. Nothing much, just Holly,Cedar,and Hickory. I will keep you informed.

Dan Hintz
12-15-2011, 6:59 AM
Yeah, Primvs, I'm not sure what kind of restructions would be in place for such an international shipment... could be a problem. If not, however, I have some (okay, a TON) great pen blank-sized pieces of a few species that would look great.

Michael Menzli
12-15-2011, 7:59 AM
Nathan we'll have to catch up..Im about an hour south of you in the Lynchburg area...I have a decent stash Im working through .

Jonathan Smith
12-16-2011, 7:32 AM
I'm a new turner looking for sources in and around Cleveland, OH for both free or commercial.

Jonathan

Ken Hill
12-16-2011, 7:38 AM
I will be cutting blanks for the next two weeks, if anyone wants anything and pays shipping I will do all I can do get you some nice pieces (oak, hickory etc) My bandsaw is not operational so everything will be sawn and sealed...just let me know the size you need to work with.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-16-2011, 3:55 PM
To Mike C, Dan, and especially Curtis, many thanks! I'll keep you posted on info, when Curtis has had a chance to find out shipping cost (Was a lot of money to ship wood), new year time I should think - I'll add you as friends in here, and keep in touch.Again, thanks to you all for a response, when I didn't think I'd seriously get any! Makes me warm inside...

Peter Blair
12-16-2011, 6:45 PM
Hey all you Creekers, today I got a haul (gloat) of cherry. This is the kind with the white flowers and fruit that only birds eat.
If there is anyone in the lower mainland of BC that wants some please give me a call and bring your chain saw. I've got way too much for me to use and some really nice sections of crotch still in the round. Please call me, 604-831-1841.

Mike Cruz
12-16-2011, 6:59 PM
Nice haul, Pete!