PDA

View Full Version : Head aches from Airshield

Harry Robinette
12-10-2011, 12:04 AM
My Trend Airshield came and I sent it back:mad:. I tried it 7 times in 4 days and got a headache after 20 minutes each time:eek:. The Airshield was great alot of air no blurring comfortable but can't work with a headache.
I'm working on a homemade one sorta like the Trend, I'll keep you posted on the progress.:D

Roger Chandler
12-10-2011, 7:19 AM
I guess each individual person has their own issues...........my Airshield Pro has been great for me. I am glad it is on the market.........I would not even know where to begin to make one!

Good luck Harry, and post when you get something made..........I'm sure it will be very interesting.....who knows......it might end up being the "Robinette Respirator" and you might become the next guy who profits off all those vortex newbies! :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jesse Goodwin
12-10-2011, 7:50 AM
Harry, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. What do you think caused the headaches? I just ordered one and I am waiting on arrival. I hope I don't have the same problem. I suited up to turn some new wood the other day incase I might be allergic it and I got over heated and got a severe headache. Good news was I wasn't allergic to it and didn't need to take extra precautions after that. Good luck with your own design.

When I die, just bury me in my shavings!

Nate Davey
12-10-2011, 8:07 AM
Bummer Harry, it's nice piece of kit. Wearing a helmet for a living, I've found that getting the head band in the right place on your forehead and at the right tightness makes all the difference in the world.

David E Keller
12-10-2011, 9:38 AM
+1 on the head band position and tension. I can get a headache from my Uvex shield alone if it's too tight. Better luck on the next one

Rich Aldrich
12-10-2011, 9:57 AM
I remember when I first got my Trend AirShield pro that it took a few weeks for a strong odor (a "newness" smell) of the unit itself to go away. I didnt like the smell, but it didnt affect me, although I wondered why it didnt.

I agree that the headband tension could cause it. It is a bit more weight than a face shield but a lot more comfortable than a double cartridge resparator strapped to your face. I wear glasses and the double cartridge resparator was over the top for being uncomfortable.

Rick Prosser
12-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I would also guess headband issues. I have to move mine around every 20-30 minutes (position, not tightness). Just a little shift seems to make the difference.

Hayes Rutherford
12-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Harry, I sometimes get a headache from mine when the temperature in my shop is very cold but otherwise it is quite effective.

Roger Wilson
12-10-2011, 1:14 PM
You might take a look at the Resp-O-Rator. It is practically free ($50) compared to the cost of the standard type respirators.

It has two Hepa filters.

http://www.resp-o-rator.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9BAB8k9dI

Noah Barfield
12-10-2011, 2:54 PM
Perhaps the headaches were from the extra weight on your neck and shoulders. I sometimes get tension headaches if I haven't stretched out before wood turning. Even though the helmet doesn't weigh much, it adds up over a few hours.

Alan Zenreich
12-10-2011, 3:27 PM
Harry,

When we were at the Ohio Symposium, we may have spoken about the different 3M setups I and my wife use... but perhaps not, it was all a blur.

One of the configuration might work very well for you, and would be happy to discuss it. I also may have some components to help with getting you up and running quickly.

Drop me a private message and we can arrange a phone call.

Harry Robinette
12-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks everyone, I believe I have a fix just needs some twiks.I took my Uvex face shield and mounted a Aircap filter and fan on it back around the first of the year but couldn't figure out how to seal it around my forehead. Sense this stuff with my lungs started I started to look at it again. The LOML looked at it and said she'll make a cover that will velcro to the top of the shield and then go down my back.She's going to make it from ballistic nylon.
I'll have pictures when it gets done.
Oh Ya The Trend was nice. I believe it was that high pitch sound the fan made,the one from the Aircap has completely different sound. The Uvex has never gave me a headache so I don't think the head band was the issue.But THANKS TO ALL I appreciate all the support guys.